Am I addicted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aqua70 View Post
    I am gonna venture out and say your family knows you smoke. Your breath, your clothes, your hair, and even your car seat which absorbs the smoke through your clothes, all will smell like smoke after you have taken a few puffs of your cigarette.
    Reason's why I believe my family doesn't know that I smoke:
    • I'm outside for 10 to 12 hours a day.
    • Whenever I get home, I take a shower first and then do anything else.
    • I brush my teeth thrice a day, once in the morning, once when I get home, once before bed.
    • I always keep breath mints on me.
    • I douse myself in cologne every time I leave my car.
    • And lastly, I don't smoke in my car.
    So you can see, I take all the necessary precautions the ensure that I never get caught.

Also, smoking 3 maybe 4 cigarettes during a span of 10 to 12 hours hardly leaves behind any smell.

With anything, you need a reason that surpasses your desire to smoke. One day in middle school, I had the opportunity to see and touch a smoker's lung and a healthy human lung. The smoker's lung was tough, brittle, and charred. Whereas the healthy lung was more rubbery, elastic, and pink. I will never forget the difference in touch, maybe you need something like that in order to quit. Honestly just reminiscing about the smoker's lung is making me want to grit my teeth.
    I've done that myself, and it was in middle school as well. Truth be told, I do think about my lungs from time to time, but then I tell myself it can't be that bad, I mean I smoke in a day, what most people smoke in an hour, so I must be good. Which is not true.

Hopefully, I can quit sometime in the near future. I've been told that people quit by the time their first-born arrives. I'm hoping I can be one of the lucky few that do.
    "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

Comment

Originally posted by a7mado View Post

Reason's why I believe my family doesn't know that I smoke:
      • I'm outside for 10 to 12 hours a day.
      • Whenever I get home, I take a shower first and then do anything else.
      • I brush my teeth thrice a day, once in the morning, once when I get home, once before bed.
      • I always keep breath mints on me.
      • I douse myself in cologne every time I leave my car.
      • And lastly, I don't smoke in my car.
      So you can see, I take all the necessary precautions the ensure that I never get caught.

Also, smoking 3 maybe 4 cigarettes during a span of 10 to 12 hours hardly leaves behind any smell.
      Hmmm idk, my dad also did not smoke in the car. And same like you, he had only a few cigs a day yet despite him quitting many yrs ago, now that his old car is mine, I can still sometimes smell distinct cigarette smell when I enter the car. But then again, he did not douse himself in cologne everyday.

I've done that myself, and it was in middle school as well. Truth be told, I do think about my lungs from time to time, but then I tell myself it can't be that bad, I mean I smoke in a day, what most people smoke in an hour, so I must be good. Which is not true.

Hopefully, I can quit sometime in the near future. I've been told that people quit by the time their first-born arrives. I'm hoping I can be one of the lucky few that do.
      Oh I thought you already had a couple of kids. Well then iA Khair, I hope you do quit for the little one!
      Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Comment

Hmmm idk, my dad also did not smoke in the car. And same like you, he had only a few cigs a day yet despite him quitting many yrs ago, now that his old car is mine, I can still sometimes smell distinct cigarette smell when I enter the car. But then again, he did not douse himself in cologne everyday.
        Yeah, its a middle eastern thing, we have colognes for everything here, and I really do mean everything, lol. All those Persian's/Dior Sauvage jokes that you've heard over the years, are true . You can smell these people coming from a mile away.

Oh I thought you already had a couple of kids. Well then iA Khair, I hope you do quit for the little one!
        Nope, not yet. I'm hoping someday though. But if things don't workout, there's always the option to adopt.
        "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

Comment

Yeah, its a middle eastern thing, we have colognes for everything here, and I really do mean everything, lol. All those Persian's/Dior Sauvage jokes that you've heard over the years, are true . You can smell these people coming from a mile away.
          Whenever you decide to move to US, that is one habit you most likely will have to leave behind lol. It reminds me of my roommate in college, she was not middle eastern but Eritrean. Her class used to start a few hrs before mine in the morning and if her alarm going off every 15 mins for 2 hrs before she woke up was not bad enough, she also dumped what seemed like half a bottle of perfume on her before she left for university. It was so bad that I had trouble breathing despite opening all windows and turning on a fan. So much for sleeping in... It is not only me though, it is an unspoken rule here to not have your perfume/cologne assault anyone's senses.

Nope, not yet. I'm hoping someday though. But if things don't workout, there's always the option to adopt.
          I like that mentality. InshaAllah khair it will all work out for you!
          Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Comment

Whenever you decide to move to US, that is one habit you most likely will have to leave behind lol. It reminds me of my roommate in college, she was not middle eastern but Eritrean. Her class used to start a few hrs before mine in the morning and if her alarm going off every 15 mins for 2 hrs before she woke up was not bad enough, she also dumped what seemed like half a bottle of perfume on her before she left for university. It was so bad that I had trouble breathing despite opening all windows and turning on a fan. So much for sleeping in... It is not only me though, it is an unspoken rule here to not have your perfume/cologne assault anyone's senses.
            So I've been told!.

I like that mentality. InshaAllah khair it will all work out for you!
            In Shaa Allah.

Comment

The mandate here is zero smells, no bad/good smells no cleaners smell. laundry detergent fragrances etc. Hospitals and gyms have signs for no perfumes. People have sensitivities. We get used to our own smells and dont really notice it. For kids I think adopting is a really amazing thing and regardless of having ones biological kids or not we should consider adopting. I feel in the west people are not so hung up on biological kids, many make amazing step parents also. It is very hard to adopt here and takes years and 10s 0f thousands of dollars so I would encourage to adopt before you come here.

Perfume Patricia at the gym had called staff on my wife, turned out that lingering scent wasnt my wifes. I made a huge metoo fuss and staff was running for cover.

I havent researched Vaping. Could that be an option?

And InShaAllah with all successes in life. A few of my friends adopted and they have the most amazing kids. My step daughters are nicer to me than my biological kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby1 View Post
                For kids I think adopting is a really amazing thing and regardless of having ones biological kids or not we should consider adopting. I feel in the west people are not so hung up on biological kids, many make amazing step parents also. It is very hard to adopt here and takes years and 10s 0f thousands of dollars so I would encourage to adopt before you come here.

And InShaAllah with all successes in life. A few of my friends adopted and they have the most amazing kids. My step daughters are nicer to me than my biological kids.
                We haven't decided yet. A friend of mine refuses to have kids with his wife, he's of the opinion that adopting an orphan and giving them a life they otherwise couldn't have due to their circumstances is the right way to go. I differ in opinion, for personal reasons. I'm not at all opposed to adopting, I'm all for it as a last resort. We will keep trying though, success is in the hands of Allah SWT. Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it!.

Originally posted by Bobby1 View Post
                I havent researched Vaping. Could that be an option?
                Tried vaping, causes a lot of mucus build-up. Also, I find vaping to be a lot more addictive than regular cigarettes, its stealthy convenience means there is no particular time and/or place for it. You can pretty much vape wherever you like. I was going through 1 Juul pod a day, that's the equivalent of smoking a pack a day. Whereas a regular pack would last me 4 days, sometimes 5 if I stretch it.

Lastly, I think vape being condensation, it leads to liquid build-up in your lungs after prolonged usage. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Could you expand on what is it that you mean by judging someone on whether they feel bad about smoking or not?

I've been a light smoker for as long as I can remember. I cannot smoke more than 3 to 4 a day, as it leaves me feeling dehydrated.
                  By judging smokers I meant if the person is doing that openly in front of elders, family, etc. then I form a negative opinion of such smokers. I have both kinds of smokers in my extended family, on one extreme are those who smoke daily but I have hardly ever seen them smoking with my own eyes, they make sure very few people see them smoking. On the other extreme there are those who smoke even in front of their parents.

I had some female teachers who used to smoke, but they made sure no one outside their group sees them. I saw them smoking once only by accident. Their respect remained the same in my heart. On the other hand, some female colleagues of mine used to smoke openly when I was in college and I didn’t like that one bit.

Comment

Working...
                  X