Intelligence, Intellect, Wisdom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intelligence, Intellect, Wisdom?

Some claim verbal diarrhea, long windedness and flowery language is intellect. In this day and age brevity is considered golden. People with PhD's in English literature are driving Uber, Tik Tokers are driving Ferraris. Before COVID I was at a social gathering and this guy U who had a good command of the English language and had made an effort to learn some uncommon words was peacocking by throwing around superfluous words and man spreading at 5-4" and a buck 40. Finally, I had to stop him and tell him that intelligence is going to see a dentist and getting the teeth cleaned regularly as his mouth smelled really bad, it is not marrying R, your first cousin. Although I have to give him credit that after Ayan, he decided to not have any more kids.

So is a guy who has a Masters in economics, smarter than a guy who can convert a log into a beautiful dining table?

They now say physical literacy is as important as academic literacy. If you can't swim, ski, run are you still a literate?

Names mentioned are not real to maintain anonymity of characters.

Hi Karen!

Mere ko teri post main golden brevity nai dikhti kahin par bhi. Teri intellect to us long-winded diarrhea main nikal gayi. Chal koi nai. I know you are one of those all-boobs-but-no-brains type lady. Just work with what you got. Okkkkbaaayyyyyeeee!
    The one that broke the camel's back. Watch out! :snooty:

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Straw View Post
      Hi Karen!

Mere ko teri post main golden brevity nai dikhti kahin par bhi. Teri intellect to us long-winded diarrhea main nikal gayi. Chal koi nai. I know you are one of those all-boobs-but-no-brains type lady. Just work with what you got. Okkkkbaaayyyyyeeee!
      So when was the last time you got your teeth cleaned, intelligent people know the importance of having good teeth. I paid for perfect teeth for my kids. I also got them water pick flossers and they brush and floss regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby1 View Post
      So is a guy who has a Masters in economics, smarter than a guy who can convert a log into a beautiful dining table?
      I would say, yes. In the same way a theoretical physicist would be smarter than an econ major. I would argue that being skilled at something and being smart are two very different things. Soldiers are trained to survive in the most hostile of environments, however, they usually aren't the smartest tools in the shed, I mean they willfully chose to enroll themselves in the military, which is a testament to how (not)smart they are.

They now say physical literacy is as important as academic literacy. If you can't swim, ski, run are you still a literate?
      I agree, because I find that life skills are equally as necessary as academic literacy. To add to that, I believe, if one can't service, change spark plugs, and do general maintenance on their vehicle, then they're illiterate. In fact, in my opinion, having basic mechanical knowledge is a prerequisite to being a man.
      "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

Comment

Originally posted by a7mado View Post

I would say, yes. In the same way a theoretical physicist would be smarter than an econ major. I would argue that being skilled at something and being smart are two very different things. Soldiers are trained to survive in the most hostile of environments, however, they usually aren't the smartest tools in the shed, I mean they willfully chose to enroll themselves in the military, which is a testament to how (not)smart they are.

I agree, because I find that life skills are equally as necessary as academic literacy. To add to that, I believe, if one can't service, change spark plugs, and do general maintenance on their vehicle, then they're illiterate. In fact, in my opinion, having basic mechanical knowledge is a prerequisite to being a man.
        Could you kindly elaborate on what you mean by smart? It was the soldiers who conquered North America, Australia and many other places and colonized the world. Without their contributions there wouldn’t be universities producing scientists.

Can a soldier not be a really smart killing machine? Can he not become a General? There are way too many PHD’s many unemployed.
        A carpenter out of job can work on private jobs.

It seems you are using a very narrow definition of intelligence.

Comment

Could you kindly elaborate on what you mean by smart? It was the soldiers who conquered North America, Australia and many other places and colonized the world. Without their contributions there wouldn’t be universities producing scientists.

Can a soldier not be a really smart killing machine? Can he not become a General? There are way too many PHD’s many unemployed.
          A carpenter out of job can work on private jobs.

It seems you are using a very narrow definition of intelligence.
          As far as I'm concerned, being smart and being skilled are two very different things. Think about it, a mechanic could have an IQ of a 4 year old and still be able to do his job, maybe not very well, but he would still be able to do what is asked of him, because he acquired a certain skillset over a long period of time. This is why we have truck stop mechanics that charge $12.50 and hour and we also have vintage car mechanics that work on old Ferrari's and Aston Martins, that charge upwards of a $1,000 an hour, have millions of dollars worth of part inventory, like $15,000 windshields for Ferrari F40's.

Moreover without going too off-topic here I'll just say that i'm not a big fan of the military. They, be it of any country, have killed more innocent people than any terrorist organization, ever in the history of man-kind. If we all collectively came to our senses and put our tax payer money to good use, we could bring about positive change in this world, but we choose to allocate trillions of dollars to fund our militaries, so they can wage wars that benefit nobody other than the politicians that start them.
          "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

Comment

Originally posted by a7mado View Post

As far as I'm concerned, being smart and being skilled are two very different things. Think about it, a mechanic could have an IQ of a 4 year old and still be able to do his job, maybe not very well, but he would still be able to do what is asked of him, because he acquired a certain skillset over a long period of time. This is why we have truck stop mechanics that charge $12.50 and hour and we also have vintage car mechanics that work on old Ferrari's and Aston Martins, that charge upwards of a $1,000 an hour, have millions of dollars worth of part inventory, like $15,000 windshields for Ferrari F40's.

Moreover without going too off-topic here I'll just say that i'm not a big fan of the military. They, be it of any country, have killed more innocent people than any terrorist organization, ever in the history of man-kind. If we all collectively came to our senses and put our tax payer money to good use, we could bring about positive change in this world, but we choose to allocate trillions of dollars to fund our militaries, so they can wage wars that benefit nobody other than the politicians that start them.
            In the same token you can have a Physicist driving an Uber. I have seen many doctorates not doing well financially.

Better mechanic is maybe more intelligent than the truck stop guy.

Consider this, if the vintage mechanic is a jerk, mean to his family, eats processed meat, has bad breath and poor hygiene whereas the truck stand guy is super clean, super healthy and amazing at relationships than who is more intelligent?

Steve Jobs daughter hated him, died young. Was he still a success?

Comment

Working...
            X