Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To my fellow Americans!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Bobby1 View Post
    I think for Pakistani people the big problem is anti terrorism laws, they can lock you up for a very long time without a trial and there are lots of entrapments. As far as I know most mosques and social media are surveilled.

    My Bhabis nephew was at the wrong place at the wrong time, he started chatting with these two guys at a gathering and agreed with some of their points and the next thing you know is that he was arrested on terrorism charges. H e had hired a fiesty Muslim lawyer and my brother asked him to get a Jewish lawyer. The guy is a radiologist, making 500k a year and has wife and kids. He spent 8 years in jail. His lawyer pleaded wrong place and wrong time and he apologised for stupid remarks.

    I know of a Sikh police officer who goes to pray at the mosque and surveils people. My 3rd door neighbour is a wealthy 3rd generation Palestinians and he had invited Muftis from Damascus to his home and he invited me to the gathering and this gora claiming to be interested in Islam was definitely law enforcement. Even if a friend of your friend on FB is under serveillence, you can get in trouble, get on non fly list, might be refused entry.

    My wifes x made a vengeful comlaint about her and she had to fight for years to get her passport issued, she went to Pak in 07 and has now to get a clearence from there to get her passport. So be cautious where you visit as if your passport gets stamped things can become difficult.

    I keep a very vigilant eye on Safys Uni friends, this fairly religioud guy was starting to do a lot of favors for him, calling him non stop to remind of namaz and stuff and I urged Safy to stay away from him.
    I guess Canada and the UK really aren't too different, then. I have a family member in the UK who works for the MI5 (Britain's FBI, for those wondering), during the height of the counter terrorism movement, right after the tube bombings in 2005, he was asked to become an undercover field operative in and around Muslim majority neighborhoods and spy for the MI5, just because he has a beard and is brown. Which he straight up refused. And for years after that, he was never considered for a promotion. It was only after the old hats that were blocking his promotion, retired that he got considered. He wasn't even part of the intelligence unit, just an I.T. guy.
    "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by a7mado View Post

      I don't doubt that one bit.

      I've been saying this all along, the Chauvin verdict was entirely politically motivated.

      Also, the laws around immunity for cops seriously needs to be revisited and reconsidered, you can't just kill an innocent human being and then be put on PAID administrative leave.
      That list is generated by Americans and has 700 k names. That is an insane number of people and there is no political will for fairness. I try very hard to keep my children miles away from people who are angry and could possibly be watched

      Comment


        #18
        I just cannot forget my first encounter with the law. My daughter was crying after getting her vaccination and I was like only 11-12 months in the US, my wife was holding her and the police car just stops right beside us on the traffic signal and he calls me out and suddenly my life is my throat and he tells me firmly why is the baby not in the car seat and I tell him her mother is trying to calm her down, she just got vaccinated. He tells me the baby needs to be in the seat, we put her in the seat and he just drives away. He was a typical white police officer and I would say this bad thing can happen to anybody but try not to make it a norm.
        The key to success is Sanu Ki

        Comment


          #19
          One of the funniest incidents and it cracks me up everytime I think about it.
          My wife's cousin he's been here in the US for 4 years now. One day a police office flashes hin and he pulls over immediately, get out of the vehicle with hand behind his head and lies on his belly on his car trunk. In his mind he's think they are going to deport my a** etc etc when the police officer walks upto him and says dud your turn signal has been on for 20 minutes now. I was just trying to let u know lol. Both of them laughs and he drives away..hahahahah
          The key to success is Sanu Ki

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Santiago TheShepherd View Post
            I just cannot forget my first encounter with the law. My daughter was crying after getting her vaccination and I was like only 11-12 months in the US, my wife was holding her and the police car just stops right beside us on the traffic signal and he calls me out and suddenly my life is my throat and he tells me firmly why is the baby not in the car seat and I tell him her mother is trying to calm her down, she just got vaccinated. He tells me the baby needs to be in the seat, we put her in the seat and he just drives away. He was a typical white police officer and I would say this bad thing can happen to anybody but try not to make it a norm.
            Man, at this age, t**** sookh jaati hai kabhi kabhi when I get pulled over. Its usually cos I have a tinted window film on all my cars, its just to keep the interior temperatures in check during the summers, but its also right on the legal limit, at 30%. Magar coppers ko tau bahana chahiye hota hai.
            "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

            Comment


              #21
              I'm not American (neither a US resident), but my limited interactions with police there have been good,

              Last time I was there, I got pulled over. There were at least 3 separate things he could have caught me for but let me go with a warning.
              Tell your assassin to aim for her head...because she doesn't have a heart.

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Bobby1 View Post
                I think for Pakistani people the big problem is anti terrorism laws, they can lock you up for a very long time without a trial and there are lots of entrapments. As far as I know most mosques and social media are surveilled.

                My Bhabis nephew was at the wrong place at the wrong time, he started chatting with these two guys at a gathering and agreed with some of their points and the next thing you know is that he was arrested on terrorism charges. H e had hired a fiesty Muslim lawyer and my brother asked him to get a Jewish lawyer. The guy is a radiologist, making 500k a year and has wife and kids. He spent 8 years in jail. His lawyer pleaded wrong place and wrong time and he apologised for stupid remarks.

                I know of a Sikh police officer who goes to pray at the mosque and surveils people. My 3rd door neighbour is a wealthy 3rd generation Palestinians and he had invited Muftis from Damascus to his home and he invited me to the gathering and this gora claiming to be interested in Islam was definitely law enforcement. Even if a friend of your friend on FB is under serveillence, you can get in trouble, get on non fly list, might be refused entry.

                My wifes x made a vengeful comlaint about her and she had to fight for years to get her passport issued, she went to Pak in 07 and has now to get a clearence from there to get her passport. So be cautious where you visit as if your passport gets stamped things can become difficult.

                I keep a very vigilant eye on Safys Uni friends, this fairly religioud guy was starting to do a lot of favors for him, calling him non stop to remind of namaz and stuff and I urged Safy to stay away from him.
                This reminds me of a story I once read on a now defunct news site. Shortly after 9-11 the NYPD setup this a "Demographic" Unit, whose existence they initially denied, which they used to keep tabs on local Muslims. After many years, they did not produce a single lead but their agents understood the rules of cricket and if I remember correctly, they actually started understanding (if not speaking) Urdu.
                Tell your assassin to aim for her head...because she doesn't have a heart.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post

                  This reminds me of a story I once read on a now defunct news site. Shortly after 9-11 the NYPD setup this a "Demographic" Unit, whose existence they initially denied, which they used to keep tabs on local Muslims. After many years, they did not produce a single lead but their agents understood the rules of cricket and if I remember correctly, they actually started understanding (if not speaking) Urdu.
                  Sir there are 680k names of people who will not be allowed to cross borders, that is a very big number
                  There is really no support for innocent either, we also share responsibility

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post
                    I'm not American (neither a US resident), but my limited interactions with police there have been good, :alhamd

                    Last time I was there, I got pulled over. There were at least 3 separate things he could have caught me for but let me go with a warning.
                    So far the American Pakistanis complaints are they got caught breaking the law, they could have been ticketed and Officers let them go by talking to them sternly.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by Bobby1 View Post

                      So far the American Pakistanis complaints are they got caught breaking the law, they could have been ticketed and Officers let them go by talking to them sternly.
                      It wasn't stern in my case. He was actually really nice about it. I decided to be more careful with my speed after that, and the rest of the drive was pleasant. In some cases, the cops don't care if you're not too much past the speed limit. I've found that Ontario cops don't care if you're driving 120kph on a 100kph highway.
                      Tell your assassin to aim for her head...because she doesn't have a heart.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Bobby1 View Post

                        Sir there are 680k names of people who will not be allowed to cross borders, that is a very big number
                        There is really no support for innocent either, we also share responsibility
                        I've known of kids who got delayed in boarding planes because their names showed up on those lists. I know what a hassle that can be.
                        Tell your assassin to aim for her head...because she doesn't have a heart.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post

                          This reminds me of a story I once read on a now defunct news site. Shortly after 9-11 the NYPD setup this a "Demographic" Unit, whose existence they initially denied, which they used to keep tabs on local Muslims. After many years, they did not produce a single lead but their agents understood the rules of cricket and if I remember correctly, they actually started understanding (if not speaking) Urdu.
                          Such surveillance ops are not as harmless as they appear to be. Lasting psychological trauma on the target population are well established. I once attended Eid prayers at a mosque near NYC while I was visiting a relative, and the imam sahab after the prayers told the congregation to not to stand in groups and talk outside the mosque as it raises suspicion. Such a cautious attitude was new to me at the time.

                          Later on in life, I witnessed old friends stop trusting one another, couples who were dating became distant, relatives became suspicious of one another, etc. due to similar fears. When children learn about such things from their parents, they lose the connection they thought they had with their country. So an entire generation of targeted community becomes permanently disenchanted.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by decentGuy View Post

                            Such surveillance ops are not as harmless as they appear to be. Lasting psychological trauma on the target population are well established. I once attended Eid prayers at a mosque near NYC while I was visiting a relative, and the imam sahab after the prayers told the congregation to not to stand in groups and talk outside the mosque as it raises suspicion. Such a cautious attitude was new to me at the time.

                            Later on in life, I witnessed old friends stop trusting one another, couples who were dating became distant, relatives became suspicious of one another, etc. due to similar fears. When children learn about such things from their parents, they lose the connection they thought they had with their country. So an entire generation of targeted community becomes permanently disenchanted.
                            I've never been through this type of thing myself so I'm not going to be able to comment on what it's like. On some level we kind of assumed that this could be happening. However, I have never shied away from my Muslim identity. Actually one thing that has annoyed me has been the perception that Muslims themselves have seemed more worried about it than what I felt from non-Muslims. Though we felt it could be happening, I've never seen it impact anyone's interpersonal relationships.

                            Tell your assassin to aim for her head...because she doesn't have a heart.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X