To my fellow Americans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To my fellow Americans!

In-light of recent events that have unfolded in your country, what with police brutality and racial profiling of non-white people, by mostly white law enforcement officers. Have you or have you not ever been pulled over for a traffic violation, or anything other than a traffic violation? Were you racially profiled, singled out and/or discriminated against by law enforcement? Or has your experience been any better?.

Also, how many Desi law enforcement officers in your community?

Non-American's can share their stories as well, if they like.
    "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

I have always not been a safe driver so at one point, getting pulled over was like a norm and infact my cousins & all used to make fun of me for being actively "served" lol.
    But no, never in my driving life I can even come to close for being pulled over for being a brown person, or having different encounter after being IDed (my full official name on license is as boldly muslim as it can get). Infact few years back in december I started driving in the wrong lane (by mistake duh) and got pulled over immediately by a state cop, and when i tried to resist and explain that it was a mistake he literally yelled at me and threatened to lock me up for the night but in the end he said, "go away, happy christmas" i.e. without issuing a ticket etc.

BUT.. two things. One, I live in north-east, heavily diversified even though cops are mostly white but still for them our color/background isnt a surprise. Had I been in south somewhere, it can be different.

Second, things are defo different now. White supremacy is on the peak and cops are not free from it either. I know some cops personally and they are hard-core trump supporters. Long story short, who knows what my next experience with them brings.

Now as for desi law enforcement, its very rare. Most of them are either Irish or italian and they dont let others get in that easily. I'm saying this on the bases of personal experience.
    However, all over the five boroughs of nyc parking violation etc is being mostly handled by Bengalis. God knows how they got in, but once they did its like they have stormed the whole department lol

Attitude is more important than facts.
    "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

Comment

There’s no way I can answer this question in one go. Police is just one department of a number of departments collectively called law enforcement agencies. I will limit this post to my interactions with the police.

I consider myself very lucky that I didn’t grow up in the US, otherwise, I would have definitely had a criminal record. And once you have a criminal record, the rest of your life in the US is toast. This system is not geared to give people a second chance. From driving without a license to smoking weed to using fake ID has ruined many teenagers’ lives. I knew a former policeman who left his job because he felt so bad after arresting a teenager for possession of weed and subsequently ruining the teenager's life.

One time I jaywalked after jumma prayers in front of a mosque and a policeman yelled at me so loudly that I was totally shaken and everyone else also got scared. It was definitely my fault to have crossed the road improperly but his reaction was over the top. And the silence of everyone else communicated to me, loud and clear, that I was on my own. Luckily that was the worst experience I’ve ever had with police in the US. Glad I was old enough to understand that and have always been very cautious ever since when interacting with them.

Comment

Carrying on the topic, may I ask what everyone thinks about growing cases of brutality exhibited by cops specially in US? I've an opinion but i would like to hear what others think about it

Comment

Originally posted by SID_NY View Post
          I have always not been a safe driver so at one point, getting pulled over was like a norm and infact my cousins & all used to make fun of me for being actively "served" lol.
          But no, never in my driving life I can even come to close for being pulled over for being a brown person, or having different encounter after being IDed (my full official name on license is as boldly muslim as it can get). Infact few years back in december I started driving in the wrong lane (by mistake duh) and got pulled over immediately by a state cop, and when i tried to resist and explain that it was a mistake he literally yelled at me and threatened to lock me up for the night but in the end he said, "go away, happy christmas" i.e. without issuing a ticket etc.

BUT.. two things. One, I live in north-east, heavily diversified even though cops are mostly white but still for them our color/background isnt a surprise. Had I been in south somewhere, it can be different.
          See, this is what I don't understand. As tax payers, you pay for their salaries, why is it that they seem to forget this fact?

Second, things are defo different now. White supremacy is on the peak and cops are not free from it either. I know some cops personally and they are hard-core trump supporters. Long story short, who knows what my next experience with them brings..
          Its amazing how so many people can align themselves with that used orange tampon. But then again, hamari awaam aaj bhi Nawaz Shareef ko vote day gi.

Now as for desi law enforcement, its very rare. Most of them are either Irish or italian and they dont let others get in that easily. I'm saying this on the bases of personal experience.
          Isn't there like a diversification quota or clause in law enforcement?

However, all over the five boroughs of nyc parking violation etc is being mostly handled by Bengalis. God knows how they got in, but once they did its like they have stormed the whole department lol
          Lol Bengalis are everywhere, literally. If you've ever been to the streets around the colosseum in Rome, you'll find them selling overpriced €5 bottles of San Pellegrino and news paper. That was the last place I was expecting to find them. But props to them though, their economy is leaps and bounds ahead of Pakistan.
          "Some people believe that necessity is the mother of Invention, but they're wrong, its War" - James May

Comment

Originally posted by decentGuy View Post
            There’s no way I can answer this question in one go. Police is just one department of a number of departments collectively called law enforcement agencies. I will limit this post to my interactions with the police.

I consider myself very lucky that I didn’t grow up in the US, otherwise, I would have definitely had a criminal record. And once you have a criminal record, the rest of your life in the US is toast. This system is not geared to give people a second chance. From driving without a license to smoking weed to using fake ID has ruined many teenagers’ lives. I knew a former policeman who left his job because he felt so bad after arresting a teenager for possession of weed and subsequently ruining the teenager's life.

One time I jaywalked after jumma prayers in front of a mosque and a policeman yelled at me so loudly that I was totally shaken and everyone else also got scared. It was definitely my fault to have crossed the road improperly but his reaction was over the top. And the silence of everyone else communicated to me, loud and clear, that I was on my own. Luckily that was the worst experience I’ve ever had with police in the US. Glad I was old enough to understand that and have always been very cautious ever since when interacting with them.
            Note to self: Stay away form cops!

Comment

Carrying on the topic, may I ask what everyone thinks about growing cases of brutality exhibited by cops specially in US? I've an opinion but i would like to hear what others think about it
              Its simply down to the fact that there aren't enough people of color in law enforcement. Also, what kind of batsh!t crazy training are they getting? I saw a video many years ago where a cop pulled out a taser against an African American kid.

Comment

Originally posted by a7mado View Post

See, this is what I don't understand. As tax payers, you pay for their salaries, why is it that they seem to forget this fact?

Its amazing how so many people can align themselves with that used orange tampon. But then again, hamari awaam aaj bhi Nawaz Shareef ko vote day gi.

Isn't there like a diversification quota or clause in law enforcement?

Lol Bengalis are everywhere, literally. If you've ever been to the streets around the colosseum in Rome, you'll find them selling overpriced €5 bottles of San Pellegrino and news paper. That was the last place I was expecting to find them. But props to them though, their economy is leaps and bounds ahead of Pakistan.
                There is quota for native Americans only. And trust me even thats corrupted. White kids fake that their mother's ancestors were 30% native americans etc and get admission is like a norm.

Interesting to know about Bengalis in europe.. I think they are strongly bonded community so its just a matter of a single person getting in. He/she pulls all of their community fellas immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by a7mado View Post

Its simply down to the fact that there aren't enough people of color in law enforcement. Also, what kind of batsh!t crazy training are they getting? I saw a video many years ago where a cop pulled out a taser against an African American kid.
                  It can be one fact but not all. In my opinion most cops are not bad but there are three factors that are leading towards such incidents.

1) Hiring process: If anybody thinks that there is no chacha mama Nepotism here they are so wrong. Also a lot of them come from political ideologies (ahm Conservative/republicans) That should be investigated before they are hired. Someone who is already politically biased, how can they serve in law forces?

2) Bad training: I always raise questions about their training. How in the world can a police office "mistakenly" fire a gun thinking of it as a laser?! And that excessive use of force? Why?! Beyond my comprehension.

3) Fear: They are clearly scared of black people and see them as their enemy. It must be stopped. They rather kill a black kid with a toy gun than a white mass murderer. Its shameful and disgusting

Comment

Interesting to know about Bengalis in europe.. I think they are strongly bonded community so its just a matter of a single person getting in. He/she pulls all of their community fellas immediately.
                    Some of the smartest people I've met. Their expertise in banking and finance in general is way ahead of anybody else in south Asia.

Comment

1) Hiring process: If anybody thinks that there is no chacha mama Nepotism here they are so wrong. Also a lot of them come from political ideologies (ahm Conservative/republicans) That should be investigated before they are hired. Someone who is already politically biased, how can they serve in law forces?
                      What is the hiring process like? You enroll in the police academy, and then upon graduating, automatically get assigned roles, if I'm not wrong. Is it the assignment process that is rigged? And how deep does the corruption go?

2) Bad training: I always raise questions about their training. How in the world can a police office "mistakenly" fire a gun thinking of it as a laser?! And that excessive use of force? Why?! Beyond my comprehension.
                      That is what I don't understand. I gather police training is outsourced to private contractors who are mostly veterans either form the police force or even worse, the military. I've worked with ex-military US DoD contractors before and I can tell you that they are trained to show no mercy, and are fed tons of anti-Muslim rhetoric before they are deployed, especially marines and seals. If these same people then come back from deployment, go into retirement and then take up training cops, the outcome would be brute force, and nothing but. Mixed together with a slight hint of extremely potent racism, of course.

3) Fear: They are clearly scared of black people and see them as their enemy. It must be stopped. They rather kill a black kid with a toy gun than a white mass murderer. Its shameful and disgusting
                      Racism is a real problem, we can all pretend that its not and sing kumbaya together but fact of the matter is that everyone is a little hesitant of everyone. Human beings are inherently tribal and territorial. I'm not saying that its the right thing to do, I'm just saying that these are the facts. We could be living in the year 2300 and racism would still exist. Unless, we've all slept with each other and created a hybrid master race that's a mix of white, black, brown, Asian, etc... lol

Comment

a7mado
                        You have raised some good points in post#11. I hadn't thought much about that before. I think there are a number of factors behind the wrongful use of deadly force by the police. One factor that is often ignored is the law itself. It is not about self defense, rather some policemen see it as a sport, a blood sport. In their minds, they are on the prowl while on duty. They are just hoping for their prey to make a mistake so they could go for the kill. I believe Derek Chauvin was playing this sort of sport in his head when he laid his eyes on the victim. Even the attorney general of the state has admitted now that he didn’t expect him to have been found guilty. The only reason he was found guilty is because of political pressure. But many people are unhappy with that judgment, especially those who want to continue playing this sport and I won’t be surprised if the judgement will be overturned or drastically cut down when the political climate eases up a bit.

Comment

I think for Pakistani people the big problem is anti terrorism laws, they can lock you up for a very long time without a trial and there are lots of entrapments. As far as I know most mosques and social media are surveilled.

My Bhabis nephew was at the wrong place at the wrong time, he started chatting with these two guys at a gathering and agreed with some of their points and the next thing you know is that he was arrested on terrorism charges. H e had hired a fiesty Muslim lawyer and my brother asked him to get a Jewish lawyer. The guy is a radiologist, making 500k a year and has wife and kids. He spent 8 years in jail. His lawyer pleaded wrong place and wrong time and he apologised for stupid remarks.

I know of a Sikh police officer who goes to pray at the mosque and surveils people. My 3rd door neighbour is a wealthy 3rd generation Palestinians and he had invited Muftis from Damascus to his home and he invited me to the gathering and this gora claiming to be interested in Islam was definitely law enforcement. Even if a friend of your friend on FB is under serveillence, you can get in trouble, get on non fly list, might be refused entry.

My wifes x made a vengeful comlaint about her and she had to fight for years to get her passport issued, she went to Pak in 07 and has now to get a clearence from there to get her passport. So be cautious where you visit as if your passport gets stamped things can become difficult.

I keep a very vigilant eye on Safys Uni friends, this fairly religioud guy was starting to do a lot of favors for him, calling him non stop to remind of namaz and stuff and I urged Safy to stay away from him.

Comment

A must read, please stay safe and be diligent and vigilant.
                            Canada’s use of an anti-terrorism database controlled entirely by the FBI have critics worried about sovereignty, privacy and civil liberties

Comment

Originally posted by decentGuy View Post
                              a7mado
                              You have raised some good points in post#11. I hadn't thought much about that before. I think there are a number of factors behind the wrongful use of deadly force by the police. One factor that is often ignored is the law itself. It is not about self defense, rather some policemen see it as a sport, a blood sport. In their minds, they are on the prowl while on duty. They are just hoping for their prey to make a mistake so they could go for the kill. I believe Derek Chauvin was playing this sort of sport in his head when he laid his eyes on the victim. Even the attorney general of the state has admitted now that he didn’t expect him to have been found guilty. The only reason he was found guilty is because of political pressure. But many people are unhappy with that judgment, especially those who want to continue playing this sport and I won’t be surprised if the judgement will be overturned or drastically cut down when the political climate eases up a bit.
                              I don't doubt that one bit.

I've been saying this all along, the Chauvin verdict was entirely politically motivated.

Also, the laws around immunity for cops seriously needs to be revisited and reconsidered, you can't just kill an innocent human being and then be put on PAID administrative leave.

Comment

Working...
                              X