Made in Manchester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made in Manchester

I'm referring to the documentary currently on BBC2.

The documentary follows the lives of several Mancunians (residents of Manchester). Manchester is an industrial city in the North of England.

One of the Mancunians is Lubna a Pakistani girl who has just joined the Manchester Metropolitan police force. She is an intelligent (graduate), articulate and assertive. Something few Pakistani girls are here in the UK. Consider the shock I got when in last weeks episodes she came back from Pakistan with a husband !

She has married this native Pakistani and while he stays at home she works in the police force.

In yesterdays episode he said 'a womans place in the home' in broken English and there is increasing tension between the couple as Lubna starts night patrols on the rough streets of Manchester. Her husband who was quiet to begin with is now showing his typical Pakistani mysogynistic tendancies.

I am shocked that such an intelligent girl would choose to marry a native Pakistani. I can only forsee a rough time ahead for Lubna and her native Pakistani husband.

Farouq.

Unfortunately a lot of us do not have a choice in these things - and a lot of people are so decent and caring until after marriage!

Comment

A message has been deleted from this thread due to profanity and slanderous language.

The essence of Gup Shup Forums is to facilitate a healthy exchange of opinions, ideas and views.
      Abusive communication shall not be tolerated.

Comment

hi! every one especially you man you know what i mean haha

hay look it seems to me that even after sepending all your life you have gone bit to much.......(i would not say the world or they will delete it) any way let me tell you that i am american by birth but i do n't think that any else can hate america and jews as much as i do and what you were saying about pakis there (you know) is not correct at all you will find good and bad people every were and i have been to manchester a few times as well but iam not sure if you have ever been to london and seen pakis there (MUNZA PLEASE DO N"T DELTE THIS IAM JUST TELLING SOME FACTS NOTHING OFFENCIVE) your english bred pakistani do n't mind pissing on the road maravana and other different drugs are much common amongst "IN IT" pakis there and ofcourse i can not mension a few other things or my message will be deleted and people over there prefer NATIVE paki guys . who ever will read this in future (IF IT SATYED ) might think that iam bull****ting but i know that you kow it's true and iam waiting for your ansewr thanx

A NATIVE PAKISTANI

Comment

Dear Shazi,
          We have absolutely nothing against your personal opinions. Believe it or not, we have a history where we tolerated the worst. But, I think, we have learnt our lesson. We are not going to allow band lingo here. You want to know why? Well, we did a little survey some time ago. 12% of our visitors were under 15! So, would you rather explain yourself in kinder tones or let these teenagers learn the bad from you? Please think.
          I am sure there are always more than one way to express youself. And I firmly believe that bad lingo may be avoided.

Azkar Choudhry

Comment

hi!
            dear azkar iam really sorry for that i would never like any teenager or minor to learn and bad thing from me . i would defintly take care of that from now on . i just took the statement fo taj mensioning the marriage with NATIVE PAKISTANI to personally because i have lived most of my life abroad i know how do these guys feel and think about pakistan and that si the only thing that hurts me may be to other people and you as well . but i will positively take care of that . i am not like that iam an easy going person .

thanx
            c ya

Comment

The use of abusive language should not be tolerated in
              any civilised forum. If we cannot hold a discussion
              without resorting to filthy language then we are nothing
              but savages.

I have since my original post tried explaining what I meant
              in the thread 'why we consider ourselves inferior'.

I think the root cause of the problem is a serious
              misunderstanding, perhaps I ought to have explained my view
              more clearly though a misunderstanding is no excuse for the
              vile language. I do not consider UK bred Pakistanis superior
              to native Pakistanis nor was it my intention to cause offence
              to native Pakistanis. I apologise without reservation to anyone
              whose feelings may have been hurt following my comments.

Now a few comments (or corrections rather) on Shezi's comments
              above:

Please read my post under 'why we consider ourselves inferior'
              where I briefly describe problems faced by UK born Pakistani girls
              when they marry native Pakistanis.

You'll find urinating in public is not a common trait in Pakistanis
              regardless of whether they're from Manchester (North UK) or
              London (South UK) !

The incidence of smoking soft drugs such as marijuana is increasing
              amongst the youth in the UK and this problem affects everyone not just
              Pakistanis. We do have a drug problem here amongst the youth and it does
              need to be tackled. This is not a Pakistani specific problem, it is a
              problem found amongst the English too and as we assimilate more with
              the host community you'll find we also share their problems in our
              communities too.

The above said however does not distract from my original post regarding
              problems with Pakistani girls in the UK marrying native Pakistanis.

Farouq Taj.

Comment

cool man!!

i was n't really expecting this (you last reply) from you no harsh feelings now .
                let's end it here .
                plus for my very first post regarding this topic the one that has been removed deserved to be removed i appologise for any mis-bhairou
                let's end it here and guess what i think i should be going home now as it seems that it's gonna rain and ...........hoooo
                by the way come down here if you ever want to enjoy winter during june july
                take care see(>>>>>&gt ya
                bye for now

Comment

Dear Farooq Taj
                  Marriage is a real problem and no one knows how his/her spouse is going to be. But I have seen one thing, Where ever in the world you go, either europe or US a Pakistani would not like to be a friend to Pakistani (and if Pakistani is at some higher post and you are unluckily enrolled or employeed there, then he instead of helping or keeoing quite would try to cut your feet, you know what I mean) and the problem get worsen if there is a race difference ( Where is Islam?). I have seen in other nationalities that they help there fellows and they try for there progress and good future.
                  Concerning marriage in Pakistan we have a bad image of western society and it is clear there way of living is a direct clash with our religious and social standards. so if a Pakistani marry a fellow ABCD or (what would you call in UK) under the consideration that she would atleast follow a little bit of Islam and things go out totaly against what would he do. you should not call him with bad words but try to improve Pakistani girls abroad. As for inguinity is concerned, every one has his own standards. Salman Rushdi is thought to be a genious in non Muslim world and you know what we think of him.
                  Thanks waiting for your comments

Comment

I LIKE YOUR COMMENTS ALI. TOO BAD THERE IS A SHORTAGE OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU.

Comment

Dear Enterprise are you really feeling sick of JM

Comment

WELL FORGIVE ME SIR, FOR BEING SO NICE TO YOU. ANYWAY I COULD'NT SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT YOU, 'CUZ I'VE READ YOUR MESSAGE AND I CANT DENY THE FACT THAT YOU ARE WAY TOO INTELLIGENT THAN MJ.I DONT KNOW HOW HE ENDED UP BEING YOUR FRIEND, BUT MAY GOD KEEP YOU IN HIS PROTECTION.

Comment

M Ali:

I agree that Pakistanis do compete with each other, we have difficulty in co-operating and working together to accomplish common goals.

You've summed up the situation regarding the culture clash between Pakistani girls here and native Pakistanis in an interesting way

"..you should not call him with bad words but try to improve Pakistani girls abroad.."
                          The assumption here is that it is the Pakistani girl that needs to change. I don't wish to digress into discussing the differences between the two cultures, suffice to say that I prefer the culture here in the West.

My suggestion is that UK bred Pakistanis should marry other UK bred Pakistanis. It is important that the couple come from a similiar background and that they think along the same lines.

You may find the following notes of interest:

www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/9391/scp1.htm

www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/9391/scp2.htm

www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/9391/scp3.htm

Farouq Taj.

[This message has been edited by farouq_taj.]

Comment

MR.TAJ
                            WOULD YOU MIND IF I ASK YOU THAT WHICH PART OF PAKISTAN DO YOU BELONG

MIR PUR
                            OOOOOOO YES MIR PUR (AK)OOOOOOOOAAY HE IS FROM MIR PUR HE IS A MIRPURIA I SHOULD HAVE STOPED ARGUING WITH YOU AGES AGO
                            WE ACCEPT THAT WE DIID SIR WHAT EVER YOU SAID ALI & ENETRPISE SIR IS RIGHT
                            SIR WILLIAM FAROOQ IS RIGHT
                            HE IS FROM MIR PUR HE CAN NEVER BE WRONG
                            AND ALL THOSE SITES HE HAS MENTIONED ARE SECOND TO QURAN AND SINNAH THOSE SITES DOES NOT CONTAIN WESTERN PROPOGANDA BUT TRUE FACTS WHICH MR. OOO AM SORRY
                            SIR WILLIAM FAROOQ HAS MENTIONED

[This message has been edited by shezi.]

Comment

I was born in Tanzania in East Africa and was brought up here in the UK. My family originate from Sahiwal in Pakistan.

I'm in London and not Manchester as you state elsewhere. I am fond of Manchester and travel there often to visit family and friends.

Let us stick to discussing issues not personalities within the forums.

Farouq Taj.

Comment

Working...
                              X