Alert for people of Asian-Indian background

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alert for people of Asian-Indian background

Someone sent this to me. I dont know if this is authentic, but I just wanted to share this. and no this time its no fraud

GENETIC ABNORMALITY MAY EXPLAIN HIGH RATES OF HEART DISEASE IN ASIAN INDIAN POPULATION

As a group, Asian Indians have one of the highest rates of heart disease in
    the world, three times higher than in the United States. In spite of a fairly
    healthy lifestyle, many Asian Indians have very high levels of the blood fat
    triglyceride and low levels of HDL (the good cholesterol), as well as a high incidence of diabetes. Researchers have been trying to figure out why the group is at higher risk.

Now, a University of Maryland Medical Center study provides evidence that a genetic abnormality could explain the difference. The study results were presented on November 8 at the 72nd Annual Scientific Sessions of the American Heart Association in Atlanta, Georgia. "We found that a genetic abnormality in triglyceride regulation appears to be common among Asian Indians," says Michael Miller, M.D., director,Center for Preventive Cardiology at the University of Maryland Medical Center and principle investigator of the study.
    "We think this abnormality prevents blood fats from being broken down effectively and, as a result, triglyceride levels may accumulate to dangerously high levels," says Dr. Miller, who is also an associate professor ofMedicine at the University of Maryland School of Medicine. For the study, Dr. Miller analyzed blood samples and DNA from 100 people of Asian Indian decent who had gathered at an Indian festival in Northern Virginia and volunteered to have their blood drawn. The vast majority of the
    people tested, 70 percent, had the same genetic abnormality intriglyceride
    regulation, placing them at increased risk of heart disease.
    Triglyceride is a type of fat that is always circulating in the blood, especially after a meal high in saturated fat. Usually, triglyceride particles are broken down by enzymes. When that process is not working
    efficiently, the triglycerides that are only partially broken down can cause fatty deposits in blood vessels, leading to atherosclerosis, known as hardening of the arteries.
    Triglycerides have also been shown to increase the risk of bloodclots,which
    combine with fatty deposits in the coronary vessels to cause heartattacks.

Previous work by Dr. Miller and his research team demonstrated that triglyceride levels above 100 mg/dL increase the risk of heartdisease. The average triglyceride level among the Asian Indians in this study who had the genetic abnormality was approximately 350 mg/dL. In addition, 33percent had a family history of heart disease and 20 percent had diabetes.
    Studies have shown that the genetic abnormality found to be prevalent inthis
    Asian Indian population is also involved with insulin regulation. That might
    explain the high rates of diabetes observed in this population.

Other members of Dr. Miller's team include Jeffrey Rhyne, M.S, and Meena Khatta, R.N., at the University of Maryland Medical Center, KarenZeller, M.S. at The Johns Hopkins Hospital and Hemal Parekh, M.D. at Stanford University Medical Center.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

I have been told the same by my physician too ( I am of Pakistani origin). Not only are Asian Indians' triglycerides counts high, their blood vessels are also narrower than normal. I have a high triglycerides count(almost 1000mg/dl..)for which I am taking triglyceride lowering medication. However, I was told that it is not fats but high intake of carbohydrates that jack up the triglyceride levels in the blood, so to lower tryglyceride levels one needs to cut down on carbohydrates both simple and complex. The dilemma here is what does one eat??? I love cheese and bread and and occasional stake..can't think of life without them and I am not particularly fond of veggies. Gues I am simply (SOL)

Comment

hahaah go see that quack Dr. Atkins...
      I am a bread and cheese fan too..
      but I guess all we have to do is reduce intake, not abandon it alltogether.

Okay now, if this is an asian-indian gene issue...does it affect people with purer asian-indian descent vs those who have an arab/turkish/afghani etc etc background...

Because they are from a bigger gene pool does this decrease the possibility of them being affected by this?

Either way.. this gene..combined with our high fat, high sugar and other high simple carb stuff....is a bad bad thingie.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

There was a similar study done in North Westren India, as I read in a report few months ago. People from Punjab/Haryana reason had the highest rate of heart desease in all India. I am sure it is true about Pakistan also.

Comment

The Canadian health agency did a detailed study on the high risk of Heart diseases posed to South Asians (Pak, India, Sri, Bdesh, Afghan).

This report was released about 5 years ago indicating genetic abnormality behind the high incidence of heart attacks & strokes in the South Asian community.

Comment

I guess we need to cut back on the heavy ghee and stuff in desi diet.

Comment

>>>I guess we need to cut back on the heavy ghee and stuff in desi diet. <<

Fraudia, lets not get personal here....I hear enough of that shi** at home already

CM

[This message has been edited by ChannMahi (edited February 07, 2000).]

Comment

sorry chann bhai I forgot that you have a bhains barra and ghee/makhan etc is your basic source of revenue.

accept my aplogies heheheh

http://www.pak.org/gupshup/fraudia.gif

Comment

Do you have some kind of alert system setup to let you knwo of new posts

CM

Comment

hmmmmm yep, its new technology, if you want it I can email it to you but it will cost ya

Comment

Working...
                    X