Whats in a name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats in a name

can anyone tell me what the name Asif means in Urdu and where it came from.

I know in arabic it means sorry.

I hafta find out the meaning of the name. but the arabic "asif" that means sorry is different. The name asif that we commonly use is an arabc word too. The difference is in the pronounciation that we dont seem to handle as well.

The name asif is spelled "ain" "alif" "svad" "fay"

whereas the word sorry Aasif is "Alif" "seen" "fay" and the alif has the squigly thing on top to give it the "Aa" sound.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Fraudia....the name asif isnt spelled with an 'ain', is it? I believe it starts with alif with a mudd(that squigly thing).

Comment

Akif

You are correct, I was not correct in the previous post.

It was my understanding that it is spelled that way. similar to Asim, Amir, Adeel and Adil etc. I mean I know people many times spell it with the alif but thats maybe because we dont use the word asif(sorry) in urdu so to us it does not matter, in arabic where Aasif and asif are to different words maybe they are more careful with pronounciations..heh my understanding proved wrong.

Anyways, I checked several sources and it seems that the name asif siginifies a quality ..forgiveness. Just like other names sigify other propeerties e.g. kamal would be perfection.

What I did not find and which added to my confusion is that usually in arabic names you can have the name based on a prpoerty e.g. Kamal = perfection/completion, or of someone possessing the property e.g. in kamal's case.. kamil = perfect/complete. So is asif is forgiveness...there is no forgiven or forgiver? not quite sure... this means I have to send an email to my nana jan to get some info.

[This message has been edited by Fraudz (edited January 20, 2000).]
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Working...
        X