Am I the only one?!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I the only one?!!!

You know how they talk about there being "parallel worlds"....people living in another dimension at the same time as us...well, does this not make "guppies" and "Gup Shup" as a whole a "parallel world"?

Think about it: we have here a "world" let's call it "Gup Shup"....then we have nations, let's call them "Forums" (e.g. General, Meeting Ppl, etc.). Each nation has it's "Premier" (e.g. Moderator). An overall governing body is also in place, (e.g. Admin). There are rules and regulations and methods of implementing the same.

We have relationships, friendships, enemies and conflicts taking place, however, none of them are real. Or are they?

What also strikes me is our readiness to reveal so much more to members of this world than we would to those in our physical world.
    There are ties with folks that we haven't ever met and might never meet. Very strong ties....comparable to "real" friends. This brings us to the "cross-over" phenomenon.

I am one of those people that has a hard time being satisfied just with a "cyber friendship". I need to meet those people to "bring them to life". Many of you have been guppies for years...how do you stay content? How does this parallel world appease your curiosity?

haha I hope no one is taking gup shup forums is the only way to meet people and to establish friendships...

I look @ this place as a medium where I can share my thoughts with other Muslims.

That's it. I think everyone here has "real" relationships such as friends, so I don't think it's a big deal

wa'salam
    Mostansar

Comment

hmmmmmmmmm interesting...

Jaawan

------------------
      Till next time***K_I_S_S***

Comment

Anokha ji! Nice to see you chhorring a thread too...

I think its nice to meet people behind the screens but often times the real life experience is different from our imaginary, utopian ones...so its always better not to set expectations...anyway, I don't see any harm in meeting people from the net...I 'think' they r humans too ;-) I think only your wife and I have the confidence to meet strangers and invite them home

In my case there r some people I would like to keep a distance from, some I would only like to chat with, some I would like to talk to, some I would like know in real life and some woops! one I would like to marry too who knows just kidding!

I have heard many times that internet is not the way to socialize and other defensive remarks like 'I don't chat', 'I'm not gay', 'I have a life' 'I'm not a loser' and the list goes on....I find such people very conscious about their life style, they are living life the way society is dictating them...very conforming and scared...I've always protested against such an attitude...and the reponse I've got from desi, gora, or kala minds have been even more amazing. All I have to say to the world is

ciao,
        BoSS

Comment

I think only your wife and I have the confidence to meet strangers and invite them home

Add me to that list yaar

In my case there r some people I would like to keep a distance from, some I would only like to chat with, some I would like to talk to, some I would like know in real life and some woops! one I would like to marry too who knows just kidding!

very well said Boss

Comment

Well i would meet guppies....if they lived in my vicinity

Comment

***the more revealed the less interesting a thing becomes http://www.pak.org/gupshup/frown.gif***

Comment

very true nadua bajan......itz like.. on here u form opinions about ppl and when u meet them in real life...ur kinda like "oh..so thatz what so and so is all about....." etc etc etc
                22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Comment

Meeting guppies in person...hmmmmm..not bad...if other person doesnt want to meet you than you should not have thought of meeting them in person.How do you know if anyone wants to meet you or does not want to meet you?They should tell you.

I think some no MOST people take it little cautiously when meeting someone that they met over the net. I would have problem with meeting someone who i only know for few months or few weeks.
                  I think most of us know what goesON on the internet...there are some dangerous and wierd people out there so my advice...get to know the person before you go ahead and set up a meeting place, talk to that person over the phone, not once but many times make sure its the person who you think it is...and not some temporary gender changed freak...

!!!GOOD LUCK!!!

Jaawan

------------------
                  Till next time***K_I_S_S***

[This message has been edited by Jaawan (edited December 25, 1999).]

Comment

Boss,
                    The only way to make friends is to invite strangers, isn't it ???

For me GupShup is the way to talk to Paki's like myself.

BTW Anokha Ji,

"Think about it: we have here a "world" let's call it "Gup Shup"....then we have nations, let's call them "Forums" (e.g. General, Meeting Ppl, etc.). Each nation has it's "Premier" (e.g. Moderator). An overall governing body is also in place, (e.g. Admin). There are rules and regulations and methods of implementing the same. "

WHAT ABOUT DEMOCRACY, WHEN R WE GONNA ELECT A NEW PREMIER ??

[This message has been edited by pathwari (edited December 25, 1999).]

Comment

Hello AnokhaUK
                      Curiosity is keeping the interest alive.
                      I would like to meet people from gupshup but to tell you the truth I am reluctant. Its may be due to the nature of most Pakistanis.
                      I am not from a liberal background. Throughout my life I always had this in the back of my mind that what will people say??
                      For example if a female meets a group from net and how many of the group members will go back and talk about her being very azad? How many will let their owm sisters go n do the same?
                      Please people be honest, and don't blame it on others 'cos who else are the others...its US!

Comment

Purple... it all depends ... for some pakistani men ... they can only think of women as been housekeepers... unfortunately they are in the majority... other veiw women in other ways... and there are aslo men who respect women and thier independence.... so depending on whom you meet and what kind of a gatthering it is , you will get different reponses...

Hopefully with time... men and women an become truely equal in this world .

Comment

Dear Purple Sis,
                          Don't loose hope.....there are progressive (and religious) minds amongst us.
                          So nothin wrong with meeting other Guppoos.
                          W'Salaam

Comment

Mmmm! Many view points here...but most have grasped the wrong end of the stick.
                            I did not mean 'meeting people on a one to one, but instead, about platonic friendships.

Boss, yes, you do allow others into your home
                            (as you did me) but it can't be just us few, can it? There's NaginaRani organising an Iftaar party back home in London, for example.
                            Muzna is arranging an Eid Do. (Purple88..take note)
                            My question still remains: do peolpe in general like to keep their 'net-friends' at an arms length? Or would they form true friendships if distances where not an issue?

I for one have formed great friendships with those on the net and see no difference between them and my regular friends.

Comment

am one of those people that has a hard time being satisfied just with a "cyber friendship". I need to
                              meet those people to "bring them to life". Many of you have been guppies for years...how do you
                              stay content? How does this parallel world appease your curiosity?
                              AnokhaUK...Sorry for visiting you lil late. 'am among few who already knows few of guppies in person. This could be a strange for all of you ...but I did it and liked it.

We could be real friend in our real life also...

------------------
                              Nadeem

Comment

Working...
                              X