I have a RIGHT to....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a RIGHT to....

What's with folks? The minute that you remind them of certain restrictions and/or rules that they are expected to follow they suddenly jump to making grand statements about their "rights".

I have yet to see someone think about what other people's rights are.....e.g. the other person's right to not be bombarded by foul language....the other person's right to not be subjected to abuse....the other person's right to not witness profanity....the other person's right to not be harassed....etc.

Wouldn't we all be better looked after if people started to think about other people's rights for a change?

Its a simple concept that people do not seem to grasp. There are rights and then there are duties. We expect all our rights and ignore our duties.

Its just another bullet point in the long list of what people "should" do.

Does this sort of behavior not stem from the same source that prevents us from respecting another's point of view or feelings.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

I think it may have a little to do with confusion between 'individualism' and 'collectivism'. Some people place, what they define as individual 'rights', above collective rights. So you have this clash.

In certain societies (ideally in an Islamic society), collective rights are placed above individual ones. In such societies, what are defined as rights for society at large are placed above what certain individuals may deem their rights. So, for example, you may have in an Islamic society, limitations placed on what would be deemed by certain individuals sexual freedoms, in the interest of what is believed to be a set of collective rights of society, defined by the morality of the majority.

So depending on the environment in which you find yourself, you will have a different set of defined rights within a spectrum, where you find individualism on one side and collectivism on the other.

Achtung

Comment

What about tolerance? The people on the other end should have the ability to let go of things. Foul language in particular doesnt do any physical harm, or mental even!

You dont become a son of a @#$% if somebody says so now do you?

[This message has been edited by Admin (edited December 13, 1999).]

Comment

You have the right to remain silent! Anything u say or do could be held against u in the court of Law. Get in the car...hmmm sounds familiar anyone? anyone? hmmm wow! cool! I'm not the only one

I thought I had some "rights"..then I re-evaluated by ideas/concepts, well they turned out to be my "expectations" from others. Surprisingly, since I've learnt to minimize them, life has become easier

ciao,
          BoSS

Comment

Muzna,
            I have the right to decide about my own rights, OK ??

Comment

Last time i said "i have the right to do this" was maybe last week i think at this forum...anwayss you guys are all right...
              sphooki bahiii u said it man agree with you there!!!
              in the old times men carried out their rights for themselves as they lived...but nowadays every baby seems born with a social manifesto in its mouth much bigger than itself....Words like...freedom...justice...democracy...are not common concepts...on the contrary, they are rare...People are not born knowing what these are... It takes enormous and, above all, individual effort to arrive at the respect for other people that these words imply...i think not just me but everyone should have the right to make thire own rights..and on how they want others to treat them...to me justice is my being allowed to do whatever i like...injustice is whatever prevents my doing so...
              Muzna when certain restrictions and rules you expect other person to follow that person expect YOU to play fair and not fall on one side of the argument(whatever that is) you can expect others to follow some stupid rules and they are treated unjustly...it is only when person or people are treated unjustly that makes him or them ask for and stand for thire rights and tell you what they expect from you...remind you of your duties and responsiblities before you jump on making grand statments about resctrictions and/or rules and how "others" should follow them, i think responsiblities and duties should be considered first by the (restrictor, rule maker) before telling the followers how to follow or telling them of thire rights...

Jaawan

------------------
              Till next time***K_I_S_S***

[This message has been edited by Jaawan (edited December 14, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Jaawan (edited December 14, 1999).]

Comment

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuussssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss!!!!!

Jaawan

------------------

Comment

Fraudia....
                  You got it dude. That's precisely what I was aiming at....the rights vs. duties comparison.

Achtung....
                  Very well defined. Yes, there are different categories of rights and these are best described as situational. Often the rights of one may be neglected to protect the rights of many.

Jaawan....
                  I'd love to address what you've written but unfortunately you lost me somewhere. So, based on what happened in another thread and your claim to the 'right to defend yourself'....here's what I have to say on it....two wrongs don't make a right. Simple as that.

Comment

AaannHaaannnnnn right! Well i know im not wrong, are you?

Jaawan

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jaawan (edited December 20, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Jaawan (edited December 20, 1999).]

Comment

Working...
                    X