Missing things about Pakistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing things about Pakistan

So this is inspired from NadiaH's thread in Culture about sleeping on the chutt(the roof)
    I spent a year in Lahore for college and I fell in love with it I still remember the cold winters in Lahore(well cold for me, after growing up in the middle east ). The bijli would go out and we would study in candlelight or oil lamps. I remember going out on walks after dinner with my friends. And I miss the beautiful scent of roses, jasmine/chamaili, and raat ki rani. Me and my roomie, used to do everything together. I did things i had never done before in my life: jumping over walls, climbing a shahtoot(some kinda berry) tree to pluck the berries. Going on shopping trips at anarkali and liberty........and much much more!
    Little things like that , I miss. So what are things that you guys miss from back home???
    I love children and old people. Its everyone in between I can't stand - Don Imus

food, fishing, hunting, and the place where i spent the five best yrs of my life and built some everlasting friendships n memories... Cadet College Hasanabdal.

Comment

mangoes, Food Street... FC College, Azan, Masjids .... and of course so many holidays

Comment

Chacoo, why did you have to remind me of mangoes??? I havent had a decent mango in years!

Where is Food Street btw??

I also miss eating gola gappays and chaat from anarkali
        I love children and old people. Its everyone in between I can't stand - Don Imus

Comment

Ira ... Food Street is in Lahore ... the old Guwal Mandi area has been turned into a beautiful Food Street.. it is a food heaven... check these sites out...

http://www.lahoretown.com/gualmandi.htm
          http://www.thehotspotonline.com/thew...FoodStreet.htm

Mangoes --- Few years back I went on a business trip to Karachi... I reached around 1:00 AM at the hotel I dropped my stuff in the room and went downstairs to the resturant and ordered a big bowl of freshly cut mangoes.... they were delicious ... it was middle of July ... That was the last time I had them in 2001...

Best Guppays -- Liberty Market and Anar Kali .... now there is a new place called "Chatkharay" it is a modren fast food type look and feel it is not bad... but it is not the same as having it in Anar Kali ...

Comment

Food Street, Gol Guppay at Liberaty, yum yum, reminds me of my holiday in Lahore.

Comment

lots of things...like for example falsay. Ever since i have left Pakistan, I haven't had falsay. even when i went back for a visit, i went when there were none. and i also miss all the places there, like the shalimar bagh, and the bazaars, especially Liberty Market...bcuz of the Gol Guppay. and i miss the barish...the moonsoons were the best times. and being able to sleep outside, even though there were the machar there. and my family, and the clothes, and the food, and soo much stuff!
              \_o_ Guiltyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
              -\_/|
              -/-\ -
              and then Buffy staked Edward and the Winchesters SAWED OFF HIS SPARKLY HEAD WITH A MACHETE and set him on fire to finish it. The End.

Comment

Good Old Days - Craving Pakistan

Oh...what a thread !!! Almost made me cry out loud !

I am craving Pakistan. I miss the smell, the feel, the everything. All my senses were so in tune with Pakistan. I had an "amrood" (guava) the other day and I was in pakistan heaven.

Things I miss the most....karachi night life, hyderabad city, PTV television, Music videos, Bundu Khan restaurant, Gulshan-Iqbal, Mithai shops, Mangoes, shopping,movie stores, books, novels, khusa shoes, Walls Ice Cream, Radio FM 100 and last but not least PAKOLA drink, GREEN REFRESHING PAKOLA !!!!!!!!!

Pakistan oh sweet Pakistan...we live so far away but we are so a part of you. We live, we eat, we dream, we feel Pakistan. All our senses are a mix of Pakistan.

Always Pakistani...Truly Pakistani !

Diva
                God is love, God is peace!
                Love can never beget hatred,
                and peace can never lead to war.

Comment

Ira thanks for the thread

what do I miss about Pakistan?? Everything!! *sighs*

weddings

azaan

going to masjid during ramadan

writing on the walls

walking to the nearest garden or park w/ family n friends after dinner

playing "chuppan chupayi" at 2am midnight w/ friends and siblings

sitting outside the house and watching the beautiful sky when the lights are out

making "akhrot auntie" angry for playing and making noises during afternoon w/ friends

playing & getting dirty in rain

stealing mangoes and shehtoot from neighbors :-p

Safari n etc parks, aladin park(it was just built when I moved here), Quiad-e-azam's tomb, etc

Mohenjo daro

shopping on tariq road, sadar, jumma bazaar, sabzi mandi

gannay ka juice, faalsay, amrood, maash ki daal (from kareeb waali hotel :-p), igloo n polka ice cream, pakola, shezaan juice, shahi supari, candies and sooo manyy more yummy things!!!!

Comment

Oh i miss pakistan..
                    i spent 10 months there n that was the best time i ever had in my life ... ...

i miss all of my cousins , street food, shopping , markets , shops, weddings, roads :halo:...playing wid kids n everything ...
                    "Hold the hand of the person whom you love rather than expecting them to hold urs "

Comment

Ira,

Nice thread Things i miss... the train ride from Karachi to Islamabad.

Driving from Islamabad to Murree... back when they hadn't built that new highway. It used to be a narrow, winding, very twisty and curvy road.

Miss sleeping to the sound of the phunkas whirring above. That *chak chak chak* sound they make that lulls you into blissful sleep.

The smell of fresh earth when it starts to rain after a long period of drought or dryness. And then everyone goes outside into the rain.

Going out for walks, the poora khandaan, at around 11/12 at night. Aunties walking together behind (usually gossiping:~p ), kids infront running and laughing.

Electricity going off at sudden times of the day.

Mood bana, tau going out for an ice-cream late at night.

Early-morning smell of someone burning some wood close by... the ashy smell of the logs burning.

The rickshaws - i dunno if they're still around. The really noisy ones.

Going to the bazaars and the shopkeepers call all the Aunties "madams" or "bibi jee" or "baji". The bargaining for a dupatta, churiyaan, paan, etc.

Sights, smells, feelings, tastes - it's a whole package.

Comment

I miss Lahore!
                        The Pakistani Brain of the Austria (formerly known as "The Pakistani Brain of UAE")

Comment

Re: Missing things about Pakistan

Originally posted by Ira:
                          So this is inspired from NadiaH's thread in Culture about sleeping on the chutt(the roof)
                          I spent a year in Lahore for college and I fell in love with it I still remember the cold winters in Lahore(well cold for me, after growing up in the middle east ). The bijli would go out and we would study in candlelight or oil lamps. I remember going out on walks after dinner with my friends. And I miss the beautiful scent of roses, jasmine/chamaili, and raat ki rani. Me and my roomie, used to do everything together. I did things i had never done before in my life: jumping over walls, climbing a shahtoot(some kinda berry) tree to pluck the berries. Going on shopping trips at anarkali and liberty........and much much more!
                          Little things like that , I miss. So what are things that you guys miss from back home???
                          and thats is the EXACT reason ive been bugging my dad for to go to PAK and take me forever and everrrr.....as well as that the bumpy roads....the sun....the stars in the sky at night.......food....clothes...especially upne doost etc.... if only.......*sigh*
                          uss ke aur mere beech ka sufur...

Comment

Originally posted by Umer:
                            :cryig: I miss Lahore! :cring:
                            me too pa jee........

and like Nadia_H said... thats is EXACTLY how i would have described it in my words.....
                            uss ke aur mere beech ka sufur...

Comment

Working...
                            X