Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Education: a way to influence the world?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Education: a way to influence the world?

This is a spin off from Xtreme's article regarding UK being the country of choice for higher education...

In my graduate studies courses I discovered that many of the heads of state, ministers of education, economics, etc from various foriegn countries had been educated overseas. For example, I believe it's Chile's entire upper level economic ministers/advisors to the president are from Berkeley, Northwestern economic graduates run another S. american country, etc....

I think it's an interesting twist to foriegn power and Influence when the theories from our great universities are what inspire and guide the leaders of other countries...

It's a more subtle way to push an objective...but I think it works.

Re: Education: a way to influence the world?

Originally posted by amelie:
    In my graduate studies courses I discovered that many of the heads of state, ministers of education, economics, etc from various foriegn countries had been educated overseas. For example, I believe it's Chile's entire upper level economic ministers/advisors to the president are from Berkeley, Northwestern economic graduates run another S. american country, etc....

I think it's an interesting twist to foriegn power and Influence when the theories from our great universities are what inspire and guide the leaders of other countries... It's a more subtle way to push an objective...but I think it works.

wow interesting topic, Amelie.

Which graduate course is this, just out of curiosity?

To be the devil's advocate just for the sake of it, simply for me to understand this better, you mentioned that this is a "more subtle way to push an objective". Wouldn't domestic institutions of higher learning do the same thing - they are also pushing their own particular objectives and influence are they not? So either way, you are on the feeding end of some form of propaganda [if that's not too harsh a word] from someone or the other. In one case it's foreign, in the other it's domestic. But in both cases, it IS propaganda and influence catered to meet a particular desire.

Anyways having said that... the solution for this would be for improved standards in our own educational institutions.. but that's a very very facile statement from me. Far easier said than done. It will take generations for that to take place.

Comment

True but not entirely. Almost ALL of the American Presidents and other policy makers, economists, etc were all educated in the their own educational system.

I think it makes sense for leaders to get educated in their own countries as it would give them a better understanding of the miserable situation the institutions are going through.

Comment

Re: Re: Education: a way to influence the world?

Originally posted by Nadia_H:
        [/b]
        wow interesting topic, Amelie.

Which graduate course is this, just out of curiosity?
        thanks Nadia, This was a non-profit economics course I took during the fall semester of 2001, we were discussing foriegn students and the push to cut visas and what reasons a country would have to continue to open up its doors to foriegn students.

Originally posted by Nadia_H:
        [/b]
        To be the devil's advocate just for the sake of it, simply for me to understand this better, you mentioned that this is a "more subtle way to push an objective". Wouldn't domestic institutions of higher learning do the same thing - they are also pushing their own particular objectives and influence are they not? So either way, you are on the feeding end of some form of propaganda [if that's not too harsh a word] from someone or the other. In one case it's foreign, in the other it's domestic. But in both cases, it IS propaganda and influence catered to meet a particular desire.

I totally agree with you. I have read somewhere that a countries' education is just that, a tool to push a countrie's agenda... I agree with you on boht counts. I just brought this up because I am interested in seeing how much influence a country could have BY pushing to educate foriegn nationals who would later become leaders of thier countries...It's a different way at looking at foriegn students...

Comment

Working...
        X