Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chinese students shun US and head for UK

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...004382,00.html

Sorry for the excessive use of stories from the Times today but these are all corkers.

Looks like the US is no longer the destination of choice for budding Chinese geniuses. Following on from the damaging admission of the massacre of native Americans this would appear to be a further blow to the image of the world's leading nation.

excerpts from the article below:

America is no longer the destination of choice for parents keen to help their children get ahead

MICHELLE SHANG talks about Britainís universities as if they were untapped coalfields or oil-rich desert sands. Sitting in front of a Union Jack in her office in Beijing, she enthuses to wealthy Chinese parents about the rich pickings awaiting their children...

Britain has become the top destination for Chinese students, ahead of America, the previous favourite, and Germany, where higher education is virtually free...

Britainís popularity among Chinese students has grown since Washington tightened visa regulations after the terrorist attacks in 2001.

This is good news.

We already have too many cheena bachas running around everywhere and we don't need any more of them. Britian or someone else can have them for all I care.

Comment

And the engines too.
      I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
      - Robert McCloskey

Comment

You can knock it but these foreign students are bringing in much needed capital to the UK, and if the Americans don't want it we won't say no.

This is from another related article:

Universities have seized on the economic potential of the Chinese market. The figures are startling. Last year, the number of mainland Chinese students in British universities jumped from 17,700 to 32,000. Six years ago it was just 2,500.

The average fee paid by foreign students is about £12,000 a year, leaving a profit of up to £5,000 for universities to subsidise the loss-making teaching of British undergraduates.

Comment

ha ha

Comment

Well maybe they want to come to the UK to avoid being massacred like those natives in that creek in the other thread? And who can blame them?

Comment

Well I for one am welcoming the news. Only the other day I was cursing at all the stray cats roaming the streets. A solution at last!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Xtreme:
                You can knock it but these foreign students are bringing in much needed capital to the UK, and if the Americans don't want it we won't say no.

This is from another related article:

Universities have seized on the economic potential of the Chinese market. The figures are startling. Last year, the number of mainland Chinese students in British universities jumped from 17,700 to 32,000. Six years ago it was just 2,500.
                Xtreme, 32,000 is still a very small number compared to the number of Chinese students here in the US. I am not sure if they mean all Chinese students, from various countries, or just China alone?

Mostly, there are more universities in one state alone, compared to entire UK. And if you compare the number of international students in the US to those in the UK, it will be laughable.

Another country where alot of students are looking to for education now is Australia! They have had a 300% increase in international enrollment this year I believe.

Comment

And then again US is 3 times the size of Europe..we shouldn't compare but the fact nine times out of ten we are shows we sure are a one hell of a tiny island

Khair, yeah, noticed the chinese students on my masters. The place was over run with the fellas. If we get rich of them good for us and keep letting them in. I just hope none of them turn would-be cocklers..we could be in deep waters then.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Xtreme:
                    Well maybe they want to come to the UK to avoid being massacred like those natives in that creek in the other thread? And who can blame them?
                    Thats just stupid, comparing them to natives some 150 years ago. The US is still be far the best choice for international students when it comes to minimal racism and an enjoyable student life. Brits and Aussies are probably the worst.

Comment

Yeah I agree about the Aussies. No Chinese in their right mind would want to go there. last i heard from that place, was the Aborigines were rioting over God knows what. Probably a shortage of Castlemaines XXXX.

Comment

Working...
                      X