Tableeghi Airlines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tableeghi Airlines

I was reading a thread in the Religion forum about Tableeghi jama'at people coming to people's homes unannounced etc... and then I read this news article. Probably this airline pilot got the same idea.

Anyway, for those who do not follow snippets of US-news, the brief background is that in a flight from LA to NY, an American Airlines pilot (who, probably, had just returned from a chilla) asked all passengers to raise their hands if they are christians. And then allegedly said "those who did not raise their hands are crazy!" (wow). Then, he encouraged "to use the 4 1/2-hour flight to speak with passengers about their relationship with God" (pheww!)

Airline is investigating... but wow! I guess they will kick out the pilot. Talk about shoving your faith on other people's face.
    "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

But isn't calling towards God the best of things to do? Why should be he fired for it?

Ahh, heathens.
    I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    - Robert McCloskey

Comment

This is not shoving, this is shoveling your faith onto others...

The Tableeghi Jamaat do not come to your house to force you to listen to them....If you do not wish to listen to them, you can tell them to leave or refuse to open the door, unlike this captain, who misused his job of his to shovel his belief onto others...

You see Faisal bhai, with Tableeghi Jamaat who come to your house unannounced, you have an option of closing your doors on them or walking out on your conversation with them...That's a little hard to do at 30,000 feet in the air...I don't think your analogy is correct regarding the 'ways' of calling of this idiot and the Tableeghi Jamaat...Two completely separate issues...
      Focus not on who you are but what you do...
      ])>:::}-:Salams:-{:::<([

Comment

I think there was more to that thread than timing? What about the people in the jamaat who leave their own families to enlighten some ignorant folks in our world? Come on man - have some appreciation.
        "Today in heaven they opened up a new chest dedicated to charity. It's name ?"

Comment

This was not much of an analogy, Lajawab bhai jaan. The two things (my reading that thread in Religion and this news item) happened right next to each other, and both of them are .... well, interesting .... to say the least. And they are linked, cz in both cases, people are trying to bring other people closer to God (or so they think). Don't you agree?
          "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

Man, when I ride the plane, I am hoping if someone wants to strike a conversation they do it about religion. Cos, I wouldn't know jack about the superbowl half time show, or whatever author they are trying to praise or the music they like.

I would have gone and given the pilot a Quran in good gesture (or ordered one for him, if I didn't have one handy).

Oh and as far as Tabligi jam'at people are concerned, I don't mind them at all. You won't know how many Jehovah Witness people come to my place for a cup of chai.
            I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
            - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Originally posted by Muslim_Queen:
              I think there was more to that thread than timing? What about the people in the jamaat who leave their own families to enlighten some ignorant folks in our world? Come on man - have some appreciation.
              MQ... the pilot may just lose his job for bringing people closer to God. Do you have any appreciation for his self-less act?

Comment

Originally posted by Faisal:
                MQ... the pilot may just lose his job for bringing people closer to God. Do you have any appreciation for his self-less act?
                Well he should have realized he's the pilot of the plane? Its completely different from what a tableeghi jamaat is.

I mean yeah you can be critical of the timings of the jamaats.But part of Islam is spreading the faith.I dont see why its called feeding religion.If you dont want to listen to them, just tell them to leave.no offense but this pilot needed help.

Comment

I remember a golden quote from a tableeghi jamaat person..and when i asked him why didn't you call before..he told me.."brother, do you really think when the time comes, the malk-ul-maut will give you a ding.." I guess he had me convinced..after that i never questioned..

Comment

Originally posted by Muslim_Queen:

Well he should have realized he's the pilot of the plane? Its completely different from what a tableeghi jamaat is.
                    I am not saying its similar to tableeghi jamaat.. I am saying do you think the pilot did something wrong by calling people towards God and asking them to become good christians? Ofcourse, the safety of the aircraft and its flight was not impaired by his announcement. Why are people offended? Is it because they did not expect to be lectured about God and Christianity in an airplane, or is it that they thought pilot's job is to fly the plane and nothing else?

What do you say?

Comment

I am not saying its similar to tableeghi jamaat.. I am saying do you think the pilot did something wrong by calling people towards God and asking them to become good christians? Ofcourse, the safety of the aircraft and its flight was not impaired by his announcement. Why are people offended? Is it because they did not expect to be lectured about God and Christianity in an airplane, or is it that they thought pilot's job is to fly the plane and nothing else?

What do you say?
                      I say what were they to do if they didnt want to listen? He should have realized that being in an aircraft you cant preach religion.Its not the same as if you go to somebody house, and tell them about something.there- they can either listen if they want- or kick the person out.

Comment

MQ.. so if I understand it correctly, your argument is that preaching your religion is fine, as long as you allow those who don't want to listen to you, to ignore you or stop you. And since the pilot announcing something in an airplane's PA system leaves little opportunity for people to close their ears, and on top he calls non-christians as "crazy" he actually insulted pretty much the entire flight.

I think its a fine argument, and I can live with that.

Out of curiousity, if there were an airlines in a muslim country (Pakistan, Arabia etc), which is comprised entirely of tableeghi folks, and you are provided quran, and speeches as part of your flight "entertainment" system... all the stewards are long-bearded religious fellows... how many of you will want to travel in that airlines?

Comment

Preaching your religion is fine- if people want to learn from you.By preaching I mean answering questions people ask, and telling them what they might not exactly know.Theres no forcing religion upon anybody.You're a Muslim if you believe in Allah- you dont do it because somebody else tells you to.You believe it because its what your heart wants to do.

I doubt if such an airlines exists.So wont bother answering your questions.Btw how is this relative with your argument? And why would the tableeghi folks be running an airline? Hmm if there was such a thing ,I would have to let people know before they ever bought tickets for that flight.After all cant force people to listen to what you want them to.No point.Then if the people still wanted to fly on the tableeghi jamaats airline -whos to stop them.

Comment

I am not saying its similar to tableeghi jamaat..

Faisal honestly i believe you just contradicted your self in the same post. On one side you are saying Airlines Being Tableeghi and then Tableeghi Jammats Being not Similiar to Airlines So me kinda confused there.........

I remember someone posting in the religion forum that how offended he was when tableeghi Jammat knocked on his door and he had to listen their crap ( as per him ). And then they again came and how his wife openned up the door and how offended he was again.

I dont know if i would answer your post or not, but I have couple of things to share about this topic, I am pretty sure that if tableeghi jamaats were to tell you in advance that they are coming, there is no way one will ever open up the door or would stay home to talk to them. They will sepcifically make plans before that very moment when they are about to show up.

Tableeghi Jamaats know that no muslims these days enjoy their abdurpt coming. That is one of the points of tableeghi jammats so they can come and catch you offguard. If they dont do it, do you really think a person would go and hunt for tableeghi jammats ? I DOUBT IT. Seconldy i wish if that person reads this thread, who was offended on the fact that how his wife openned the door and tableeghi jammat showed up instead, i wanted to ask him, that brother first of all what kind a man you are that your wife had to open the door when you were home your self, ( except if he was in shower or soemthing ).

Anyways as for your post I think he shouldnt have done a stupid thing like that.
                            -Salman
                            -Salman

Comment

I agree with Salman.....LAjawab and Muslim queen
                              لا عيش إلا عيش الآخرة
                              BROTHERS NOT SLAVES. Regain Respect

Comment

Working...
                              X