What is Justice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is Justice?

Im sure some people must have taken a philosophy course in college/university.If not- this question is something a lot of individuals do think about.I would just like some input as to what you all think justice is.

A most interesting example brought up while I was discussing this with a few friends was - Les Misérables (Dont know how many people know about it).Its about a man by the name of Jean Valjean, who was a criminal -but after escaping from prison- he's a reformed man.He does everything to help the less fortunate.However the inspector Javert thinks he should still be arrested for his wrong doing.Is justice punishing the wrong doer no matter how reformed he may be? Is it going by one book of rules.Who has the right to make these rules?

ps. Mr Xtreme this has nothing to do with gs politics.
    "Today in heaven they opened up a new chest dedicated to charity. It's name ?"

the rules are made by the society to protect themselves from criminals. its the society (atleast in north america) has a say in policy making and creating new laws and regulations. so technically, if u r eligible to vote , then by using that vote u r taking part in ur political system and indirectly taking part in making those rules and regulations.
    as far as that person goes, i think he shud still be punished for what he did. because if he isnt punished, then the message which is being sent to the general society is, that u can commit the crime and get away with it, by projecting ur self as mother teressa (sp?).
    - I swear to drunk I am not God :-/

Comment

Talking abt Our society....

He wo is caught is Theif..............

Comit as much crimes as u want to, but be careful not to be on the CHARTS.
      FACE OF AN ~.~ANGEL~.~ APPETITE OF A VAMPIRE

Comment

Justice isn't just about reforming character, it's about a debt to society being paid. Let's say a man murders his wife in a fit of rage. He might feel genuine remorse and escape prison after a month. Even if that remorse is genuine, how will the family of his wife feel seeing him out and about regaining his place in society while their daughter, sister etc is buried 6 ft under?

Comment

justice is something not found nowadays sad really

Comment

Mr Xtreme you're right.But I meant what level of crimes are forgivable? And which aren't?Ofcourse to give a murderer another chance is kind of a wild thought.But I mean is justice abiding by one standard of laws and rules?Sure our society makes laws and rules as Suroor pointed out- but could there be something wrong with the way that we interpret justice? I mean just because things have always been done a certain way- doesnt mean it is the right way- haina?

Madhanee I know that- come on.The thing is, this example gave two sides of a story.The inspector does everything by the book...interesting that when he tries to arrest Jean Valjean -we feel its wrong.How come? I mean if laws are made to protect us - then why do most of us take the side of the criminal (so to speak) -rather than the law.Sure it's not realistic...but then I was asking what justice is- from a more philosophical point of view.And its definately a great piece of literature.

let uz chat why not? I mean we all might have different interpretation of justice- but I doubt if it means it doesnt exist.
            "Today in heaven they opened up a new chest dedicated to charity. It's name ?"

Comment

MQ, the term justice just doesn't imply punishments to the perpetrators and mercy for the innocents...

According to Plato, being just includes giving rights where rights are due... According to Greeks, respecting the elders, doing good, working for your nation, being generous to the poor, fighting for rights, respecting authority, being merciful, being truthful and more are what defines being just and in turn upholding justice...

The Holy Quran states:

“O you who believe, Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin; and whether it be against rich or poor: For Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort justice or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do” (4:135).

Plato's Republic starts with this question and is almost 1/3 dedicated to defining justice and what it means in a person's life...And if we were to take the Grecian formula of justice as Pakis, we would truly see how unjust we are...Not only to others but to ourselves as well...For according to Plato, part of being happy entails being just to others and ourselves...

The similarity between the teachings of Plato, Socrates and Islam truly reasserts my opinion that they were of the 124,000 prophets of Allah :swt:...Plato's laws for neighbours, guests, children, parents are what our own faith teaches almost to the letter...

This similarity, for me, can now explain the love of former Muslims like Avicenna, Averroes and others to Grecian, especially Platonic philosophy...They saw in old philosophies traces of the divine...Allah knows and forgive me, but I can sense it too...
              Focus not on who you are but what you do...
              ])>:::}-:Salams:-{:::<([

Comment

Originally posted by Lajawab:

The Holy Quran states:

“O you who believe, Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin; and whether it be against rich or poor: For Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort justice or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do” (4:135).
                nuff said thank you .. may ALLAH give u aj'r for that ..

also reminded me of the reply of Rasoolulah:saw: that he:saw: gave to the person who recommended ease in punishment to a rich woman named Fatimah who was accused of theft:

Nations before you had the same disease that they used to forgive their powerfuls and rich for their mistakes yet poors and weaks were used to get the punishment to the full extent. By Lord, if my daughter Fatimah would have stolen something, I would have asked her hands to be cut too.
                Quite often good things have hurtful consequences. There are instances of men who have been ruined by their money or KILLED by their COURAGE.” ~Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                X