Nach punjaban nach..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nach punjaban nach..

This song was sung by a popular Pakistani singer namely Abrar-ul-Haq. Shortly after the release one guy namely M.D. Tahir, appealed in court that this song portray Punjabi women in bad way, so it should be banned. The singer promptly apologized and released another version of that song.
    I just want to ask that if you assume that you are a Punjabi woman, will you be offended by this song ?
    Bazinggaaaa ....

I was about to open this thread...Except I wanted to ask what the heck is a 'Majajan'?

But now since you mention it, how can you put a restriction on one guy who uses the word Punjaban? My brother has PTV Prime, and in every third song I hear, someone is making a punjaban dance or sing or do something...What about them? Shouldn't they be challenged in the same way? It's OK if Sikhs were doing the same thing as there is no same sense of modesty that one would associate with Muslim Punjabans...

In my view I think Pakistani Punjabis should seriously distance themselves from this 'HooHaa' image and mentality that one usually has come to associate with the word Punjabi...For me at least, the term since childhood has been synonymous with the who-gives-a-damn mentality, people who would swing into a bhangra frenzy at the slightest opportunity and actors in shiny lehngas that scream themselves hoarse with every sentence in a Punjabi movie...

I think this image has gone on far enough...At least to my limited exposure to Punjabis, I did not find this true at all...In fact most Punjabis I came to know came from very decent and civil families, not from the bhangra pao mentality that one has come to associate with the Punjabi culture...

I think the courts did a right thing...Art should only go as far, and to make the women of a whole, singular culture dance while insinuating in a song that its fine is ridiculous...There are those Punjabans as well that observe strict Purdah and modesty...

With my remarks, I know I have now given Abrar-ul-Haq many staunch supporters in his bid for freedom of expression...

P.S. What is a 'Majajan'?
    Focus not on who you are but what you do...
    ])>:::}-:Salams:-{:::<([

Comment

Ofcourse not.Are we going to assume that the term applies to every Panjabi woman? That would be ridiculous.
      "Today in heaven they opened up a new chest dedicated to charity. It's name ?"

Comment

Word of advice, dont play this song infront of Sikhnis, warna bhari mehfil me woh dance karney lag jayen gi.

Comment

I love you too.

Comment

^^ she looks like a Punjaban........
            I love you too.

Comment

:bhangra: <---Yeah, I get your point Pakora...I mean look at these avatars...They are obviously dressed in the traditional Punjabi clothes but are they doing traditionally what Punjabis do? It's a gross misrepresentation unless I am grossly ill-informed...

In fact I protest in behalf of the Punjabi people that these avatars are wrongly depicting and representing the Punjabi people and should be removed ASAP...

Comment

lajo if u've heared Jawwad's ucchian majajan wali... it's the same majajan(nakhrey wali)...

wesey i like the one with Punjaban ... the word majajan took the charm of the song away....
                Sochte hein Tujhey Wuzuu ker k
                Yuun tera ehtaram kerte hein

Comment

Originally posted by Lajawab:
                  :bhangra: <---Yeah, I get your point Pakora...I mean look at these avatars...They are obviously dressed in the traditional Punjabi clothes but are they doing traditionally what Punjabis do? It's a gross misrepresentation unless I am grossly ill-informed...
                  Moulana sahab ! Punjabis are traditionally fun loving people.
                  And association with bhangra(dance) is not wrong.
                  Punjab has a rich culture of festivals through out the year. Be it the change in season or birthdays of saints or start of harvest.

Ofcource time is changed now but essence is there. People are more reserved, but still love activities. And spring season is most festive

In fact I protest in behalf of the Punjabi people that these avatars are wrongly depicting and representing the Punjabi people and should be removed ASAP...
                  Please keep your lehalf for yourself, if we need your lehalf we will ask :nahnah:
                  Bazinggaaaa ....

Comment

Code bhaijaan, I don't get the lehalf thing...? Why did you bold it?

Unless you mean Laihaaf, as in a blanket, or thick chaddar that you use in winter....Which still doesn't explain the context of its use here...

I will address your post later after I find out why you bolded the lehalf...

:bhangra:

Comment

^ Lehaaf Allah ki ek nai,mat hai. Sardi se bachata hia, our munh chupaney ke kaam bhi ata hai. Yaani insaan logon ki nazroon se bach jata hai.
                      Bazinggaaaa ....

Comment

Originally posted by Code_Red:
                        Moulana sahab ! Punjabis are traditionally fun loving people.
                        And association with bhangra(dance) is not wrong.
                        Punjab has a rich culture of festivals through out the year. Be it the change in season or birthdays of saints or start of harvest.

Ofcource time is changed now but essence is there. People are more reserved, but still love activities. And spring season is most festive
                        This is exactly the way I see it. I didn't find the song offensive or insulting to punjabis.
                        Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Comment

Lajawab: In fact most Punjabis I came to know came from very decent and civil families, not from the bhangra pao mentality that one has come to associate with the Punjabi culture...

...Please elaborate on "bhangRa pao mentality" and how people are associating it with Punjabies. Are you saying if you had not interacted with "civil and decent" punjabies you would have stuck with these stereotypes? Doesn’t sound like a very mature approach to me.
                          As far as the topic at hand...Nuch Punjaban doesn't sound demeaning …Ibrar should have shown some resistance.

Comment

Exactly Fayz.

If there was any song that should have been taken to court, I would say Vital Signs, "Gora Rang Ka Zamana". What an incredibly shallow and prejudice song ... against the brown people of Pakistan. .....
                            Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Comment

Nuch Punjaban Nuch

Punjab has a wonderful, rich heritage colorfully displayed in our fun and festive dancing (bhangra).

Comment

Working...
                              X