X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two-headed baby

Two-headed baby surgery 'success'

Rebeca is thought to be the first to survive with this condition
    Surgeons in the Dominican Republic have successfully removed a second head from a baby girl in a landmark operation.
    An 18-strong team operated on seven-week-old Rebeca Martinez for 11 hours, in a complex procedure, believed to be the first of its kind.

Rebeca had the live head of an undeveloped conjoined twin fused to the top of her skull.

Dr Santiago Hazim, head of the hospital where the surgery was carried out, said Rebeca was "doing great".

"The surgery is over and her head has been closed," he said.

In the delicate life-or-death operation, surgeons had to cut off undeveloped tissue, clip the veins and arteries and close Rebeca's skull using a bone graft from another part of her body.

Rebeca is thought to be the first baby with her condition to survive beyond birth.

Features 'moved'

Rebeca's father, Franklin Martinez, said he was delighted at the outcome

"We are super happy. This is what we hoped for and it happened," he said.

Her second head had a partially-developed brain, ears, eyes and lips, and if it continued to grow it would have prevented Rebeca's brain from developing.

We are super happy. This is what we hoped for and it happened

Rebeca's father

The features on the second head reportedly moved when Rebeca was being breast-fed.

Before the operation began, her parents, Franklin Martinez and Maria Gisela Hiciano held hands and placed their other hand on their daughter.

"Be strong, Rebeca. May God be with you," said Maria.

Dr Jorge Lazareff, director of Paediatric Neurosurgery at UCLA's Mattel Children's Hospital, said the head on top was growing faster than the lower one.

He said if Rebeca had not undergone surgery then, she would have been unable to lift her head at three months' old.

The costs of the surgery, estimated at $100,000, are being met by the charity Cure International.
    "Pray before you are Prayed Upon"

Precious few are born with it... even fewer know what to do with it. No Fear.

It's a success! Great...that's the news I wanted to hear

Hope the family would be doing well.
    Tum Karbala kay baad bhee Syed-Sajjad a.s. ho
    Koi or hota tou khatha Khuda koi nahin hai

Comment

Sadly, the baby died about 12 hours after surgery. Inna lillahe wa inna illahe raji'oon.
      "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

Comment

In da morning i read the news on da bbc web site and was happy so i posted it in GS , now i came to GS and shocked to know from Munni that da baby died .
        "Pray before you are Prayed Upon"

Precious few are born with it... even fewer know what to do with it. No Fear.

Comment

I too was shocked when i heard it on the radio ....

Tum Karbala kay baad bhee Syed-Sajjad a.s. ho
          Koi or hota tou khatha Khuda koi nahin hai

Comment

Working...
          X