Disasters and Nature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disasters and Nature

In the aftermath of earthquake in Turkey, a lot of views have been expressed here. Some views, I find, very foolish - views such as equating natural disasters with poverty or lack of faith in God.

It is true that catastrophes can be minimized by building dams, by improving constructions, by better forecasting systems, etc. However, when the nature strikes, it makes no distinction between God fearing and Atheists, between rich and poor, between straight and gay.

and in what category would u put the Noahs flood .......?
    just wondering ....

is that a myth or a fact

if a fact then i guess that answers ur question upto some extent

Comment

My statement that disaster strikes the poor more was based on earthquke in India in Larur. Just 6.2 on sichter scale. Caliphornia stands many such earthquakes all around the year. But in Latur peple had mud and stone houses which collpsed at a small jerk and number of casualties were far more. Disasters like fire will have less casualties if fire brigade reaches in time. It does reachj quick;ly if fire brigade has more vehicles, roads are better and so on, essentially infrastructure. Same thing with floods. Since the earthquke in Turkey was really strong, I believe asimilar earthquake would cause casualties anywhere. But not of the order of 40000 if the infrastructure was better. You can safely multiply the casualties by 5 if quake of this order occurs in India.

Comment

NY .. you said "when the nature strikes, it makes no distinction between God fearing and Atheists, between rich and poor, between straight and gay."

BUT who created NATURE??? ... i thought we all believe that it was GOD ... so if he thinks that people don't have faith in him anymore, he can use and HAVE used natural disasters to show his power. I mean QURAN is full of stories like that. Good that you mentioned Straight and Gays, cuz it has happened in the past. GAYS were punished buy a natural disaster, its in Quran, i forgot what their nation was called.
        NOW we don't know if this was GOD's punishment to people of Turkey for their ill faith, we are no one to decide.
        BUT we should learn from this, and have some fear of GOD, and follow the path he wants us to follow.

[This message has been edited by Bhola#1 (edited August 25, 1999).]

Comment

Dear Nadia21, I believe in Santa Clause as well!

Dear ZZ, your point is a very valid one. I was referring to the statements by some other members suggesting somehow that disasters follow the poor, and the non-believers.

Dear Bhola, Are you suggesting if the believers inhibited the North Pole, there wont be any killer snow storms. Or if Bangladeshis left Bangladesh and settled in Afghanistan, floods will follow them (considering there are no coastal plains in Afghanistan). I have trouble grasping that kind of logic.

Comment

NY ... if you didn't believe in GOD then i can understand why you have trouble grasping this kind of logic.
            IF you believe in GOD, and that he created us all, and he controls our lives and what goes on in the Universe, you wouldn't be asking these questions. The answers will be in your heart.
            It's true that Natural disaster can happen anytime and anywhere. And even the most religious can sometimes suffer from it. BUT you can't deny the fact that if GOD wants to punish a person, or people, he can use these Natural Disasters. And it has happen in past, and will continue to happen.

[This message has been edited by Bhola#1 (edited August 25, 1999).]

Comment

I reckon when God wants to punish people he puts a veil over their hearts and makes them believe in equality for homosexuals. Then toasts their a$$es in Jehannum. While the believers have a jolly nice time in Jannat. And Allah knows best.

Comment

Natural disasters & Islam!

Allah mentions in the Qur'an that He has caused a Pharaoh and his people to
                suffer a number of natural disasters, including floods and attacks by waves of locusts and other insects. He described those events as clear and detailed signs of His power, but the Pharaoh and his people continued to be arrogant and maintained their criminal practices. It is noteworthy
                that these events are described in the Qur'an as "clear and detailed signs." A sign is sent to a people in order to remind them of Allah's existence and power so that they may come to believe in Him. We cannot equate such a sign with what you have termed "ghazab" or collective punishment visited on some people. A sign is sent in order to make people respond positively. Therefore, the positive response is the one sought for. A collective punishment is bound to defeat that purpose, particularly if it leaves a community in total ruin. It is also mentioned in the
                Qur'an that Allah had destroyed complete nations with natural disasters or some other form of punishment because they arrogantly refused to follow the prophets and the messengers sent to them. The people of Noah, for example, were destroyed with the flood, while the people of Aad were destroyed by winds, and the people of Thamud by an earthquake accompanied by a heart
                piercing sound. The fact that Allah mentions these punishments to us serves as a reminder that He is able to inflict similar punishments on us if we defy His orders and continue to do so unrepentantly. We should always be in fear of Allah and try our best to please Him. Exerting such effort is certain to spare us the collective punishment. Having said that, I should explain that volcanoes, cyclones, floods and other forms of natural disasters take place as a result of natural laws which Allah has set in operation. They may be caused when the fine balance Allah has set in the universe as a whole is upset. However, when a cyclone hits certain areas, we cannot say that the people of that area have earned such a punishment by Allah. How can we tell? After all, cyclones regularly hit parts of Bangladesh when the people there are certainly better than those who live in other parts of the world. Allah is the most just of judges. If He punishes some people, His punishment is just. It does not follow that those were the only people who deserved punishment. Allah may choose to delay the punishment of others until the Day of
                Judgment. No one who disobeys Allah may escape punishment, unless He chooses to forgive him or her. Therefore, we should always be in fear of incurring Allah's anger, lest His punishment takes us unawares. The Prophet used to appeal to Allah for protection against natural disasters. For example, when the Prophet heard thunder or a thunderbolt, he used to say: "My Lord, do not kill us with Your wrath and do not send us to perdition by inflicting suffering on us. Spare us all that, our Lord." In short, we should always maintain a balance between realization that Allah controls all natural laws and He can easily inflict on us any type of punishment He may choose. His punishment is always just. On the other hand, we do not feel happy to see any community smitten by a natural disaster, even though it is an unbelieving community. As Muslims, we would much better have that community respond to Allah's call than to see it smitten by His anger. What we should guard against is to appoint ourselves as judges of others, claiming that a particular community deserves punishment by Allah while another
                community has not reached that stage. Allah alone judges people in accordance with what He knows of their situation and their intentions.

I think it was just Allahs punishment to the people of turkey on thire bad behavior toward a women who wanted to bring REAL ISLAM in the country but they kicked her out of the country, despite they are muslims. What else could happen to people like those, who dont want allahs religion in thire country and what else could have to the country whos leaders are JEWS, one of the laws is women cant go to any government office wearing shakaf(head covering)!!! I think they still have time to hold ISLAM tight before anything else comes from allah!!!

Jaawan

------------------
                Till next time***K_I_S_S***

Comment

NICELY PUT JAWAAN.
                  I think that more and more people are lacking
                  the fear of GOD including many Muslims. Its sad
                  to see that .... this is one of the signs of
                  QIYAMUT .... i hope people can realize that.

As for the Turkey situation, it's very
                  unfortunate. I mean the first thing that
                  came to my mind after hearing about the
                  earthquake was the same. that God is
                  punishing them. BUT again, we are no one
                  to decide if it was a punishment or not.
                  ONLY GOD knows. All we can do is pray for
                  them that they follow the right path. AMEEN.

Comment

Jawan,

Turkey has had many earthquakes in the past (mostly Eastern Turkey). And what has Jewish leadership to do with natural disasters? Turkey has a rule of law about its political system, which is based upon secularism. Women are allowed to wear scarfs, only the ones serving in official capacity are not. So if someone comes to your house to read the electric meter, you can see her face. It could be a murderer hiding in a veil. Religion has no place in governance. It is a personal matter. Everyone has beliefs, not just muslims. By the way, that woman lied (what a good muslim she is) about her US Citizenship, which makes her disqualified from holding an elected office in Turkey.

Mr. Xtreme, many of the doctors assisting (doctors without borders) with the relief effort in Turkey are gays. Meanwhile your Maulana community is uttering nonsense about things they cannot explain. Hey Man, keep the Janat. You can bet that the airconditioning system in your Janat will be made in Japan! You don't want Arabian heat and humidity? do you?

Comment

Another interesting topic. But, I can only laugh at Jawaan's post. Thanks for the entertainment!

Comment

ONCE AGAIN ... NY ... you sound more like
                        someone who doesn't believe in GOD. In that
                        case this argument is hopeless.

ALSO PLEASE don't say stupid stuff if you
                        gonna put the word "ahmedi" in front of
                        your name. SOME people think that your views
                        are the views of AHMEDIS in general, and that
                        is not TURE. I DONT know what u r trying to
                        achieve from this. KEEP this forum clean from
                        people taking shots at each others sects.

Comment

Bhola, Are you telling me that I need your permission for what I can call myself? You really are a Bhola. If you dont have a point to make, I can understand that.

Comment

Reagon get a life man! You certainly dont worth saying good things about and you dont even worth saying bad things about cuz your too bad, i would not waste my time arguing with ignorent and stupid person like you, you dont worth ****!!!

NYA looks like you dont believe in god, which is very easy to do i can make you believe in him but, jesey allah heedayat nahi dena chahta why should I, dont care?
                            Jews i mean its a MUSLIM country and leadership should be muslim also so they can live by muslim and islamic way. you lack in common sense you need to read things and try to make sense out of them if you have a thing called sense, But what you know about islamic way, all you care about is humiliating your self by saying bad things about islam and presenting it the bad way! arguing with you is useless, i think its just waste of time to discuss this issue with you when you dont have a believe. why am i writing and wasting my time on you boozoos, stupid ignorent people when i can be doing something much better then persuading you MUNAFIKS!!! Your just like reagon!!! i dont have nothing to say to no one on this issue i think i have said all what i believe on this issue in my above reply.
                            Finally please dont get piss off, its all true so you should be happy to find out who you really are!!! yea yea i know, you know NOW!!!

Jaawan

------------------
                            Till next time***K_I_S_S***

[This message has been edited by Jaawan (edited August 25, 1999).]

Comment

Dear Nadia21, I believe in Santa Clause as well!

Bhola, Are you telling me that I need your permission for what I can call myself
                              NYA so u do agree that ppl are entitled to their own beliefs .....so why the fuss?

Comment

Working...
                              X