Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Washington to build Mahatma Gandhi memorial.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washington to build Mahatma Gandhi memorial.

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Fine Arts Commission is considering to build a memorial to Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, whose teaching of nonviolence helped bring independence to India. It too will be a small park, with a 10-foot statue of Gandhi, on Massachusetts Avenue facing the Indian Embassy.

Good! Americans too bady need a big dose of Ghadhiji's principles.

Comment

He may have taught nonviolence but he also encouraged communalism and contributed to hatred toward Muslims. Jinnah, on the other hand, believed in a sectarian state and taught tolerance. If he had lived longer it might be us bragging about a sectarian government, instead of India.
      Zara

Comment

Gandhi can be called wierd or strange or whatever according to today's norms of dress or opinion. But certainly did not teach hatred against Muslims.

Comment

I agree he did not TEACH it, but he focused so much on Hinduism as the only answer for the country that as a result he marginalized Muslims. Perhaps he did not intend it, but he also did not guard against it.

Comment

He may have taught nonviolence but he also encouraged communalism and contributed to hatred toward Muslims.
            some things never cease to amaze me. the length to which people go in denouncing the obvious. non-violence was Gandhi's one major teaching and it becomes a 'may have taught' thing. and something which he neither aimed for nor deserved to be called is 'communal' or contributor to 'hatred of muslims'. and the irony of it all that he got killed by a hindu fanatic who thought he contributed to love towards muslims! maybe someone on this forum should have had a word with Nathu Ram Godse.

Comment

I apologize if I made you upset. You're right, he did not intend to do further hatred toward Muslims, I agree. Saying "he may have taught nonviolence" is just a figure of speech, by which I meant to mean "although he taught nonviolence." He certainly did, and I would never deny it. I think, though, that in his eagerness to get rid of the British, he didn't consider Muslims enough.
              Zara

Comment

Strange!!!!!

The most influential person of Asia (as portrayed in another thread of this forum) taught nonviolence and was not listened to by his followers??????????????

[This message has been edited by JAK (edited July 15, 1999).]

Comment

its all right Zara. i didn't mean to sound harsh either. just that i feel Gandhi was a pure soul... unbiased. someone who dedicated his life to do good for his country people as he understood it, religion/race not withstanding. his ways and means probably were not perfect and both hindus/muslims debate whether or not their communities benefitted by his vision. still, there are few people with that level of dedication and total disregard for self interest.
                  i can see i may have been (may have? definitely!) a bit prejudiced too and concluded more than you had intended. not very uncommon on this media of typed expressions... cheers, take care and all that

Comment

Thanks! You too 8-).

Comment

Hi,
                      As far as I know, Gandhi Ji demonstrated by staying hungry (bhook hartal) just because the people of IndoPak (the Muslims and the Hindus) were fighting too much. And that my friends brought the end to the killing rampage that both religious factions demonstrated. Gandhi is no less than a hero, maybe even more than a hero. So lets respect him please.

Take Care All.
                      Concerned Pakistani.

Comment

Gandhiji message:

Eet Ka Jawab Jab Patthar se Diya Jaaye
                        To Tamam Duniya hi Khatam Ho Jaayegi.

India and Pakistan and the entire world has a lot to learn from Gandhiji's message.

Comment

I heard that indian embassy requested the state department,and bought that piece of land and the indian government is building,it is not US who is taking the cost,every single money will be donated by the indian government,if pakistan want they can built a big status for quid-e-azam and put it infront of Pakistan embassy.When I was in newyork,I remember seeing gandhi's status at the end of broadway,it was built by the indian group of doctors.

dil..dilseeee

Comment

Nice to know that there are some Pakistanis who respect Gandhi for his contribution towards the freedom of the people of the whole subcontinent (not just Hindus).

Comment

You'd be surprised Bombay

....if only we'd had leaders like Gandhi and Jinnah lead their nations for a little longer..we may have actually avoided so much bloodshed over the years. Oh well..guess somethings are meant to be...

Cheers.

------------------

Laterz,
                              ManiaX.

Comment

Working...
                              X