Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

those that ask for money on the streets of pakistan

hi

i didnt know where to put this topic, so i put it here.
    umm, when i went to pakistan i noticed, as anyone would, a lot of women and old men and children asking for money to the driver-bys. i also noticed some people i knew saying 'maaf kijiyen' or something like that, and look away. i remember wondering why didnt they give them any money? i asked, and was told that this is quite common tactic, and that some of these people have more money than people who live in regular homes. to say the least, i was astonished! not at the fact that some of these people might be better off than they claim but that others dont give even one rupee thinking that 'oh they must have enough already'. i was also told that there are just too many people and you cant give to everyone so its best not to give to any. i really dont understand this attitude. please tell me what you think of this. i do realize that some might say that well it gives these people more reason to remain on the streets, but come on, pakistan is not a well-off country, with any sort of welfare system.

------------------
    Learn to love yourself, then learn to love one-another
    "O man! What has seduced thee from thy Lord Most Beneficent?" - Quran 82:6

Sponsor and choose an orphan at alyateem dot com

Well when I went there last year I was driving. Whenever I parked someone came and asked for money. I used to keep a collection of 2 rupee notes just incase. People often told me the saem as you described. They also said that they could be on drugs and stuff.

I couldnt tell which was genuine or not. I used to give them a 2 rupee note and they used to walk off. One guy was mad and attacked the car I was driving. Thats why I gave something, even though it was small. Its difficult to tell though. Usually if there was a women with a child I did not hesitate to give them money. It must be my weakness.

Comment

Like Yazoo, I used to keep a lot of extra change with me when I went to Pakistan, even now when I go downtown, I always have change for all the homeless ppl. I mean I don't really understand how ppl can assume that the ones who are asking for money just want to increase their money, they really can be in need of money. In my opinion its just that they don't want to give and just need an excuse. Oh well, it will get better, hopefully. Ppl will realize that it won't hurt to part with a dollar or a rupee.
      Ciao

Comment

Munni..I noticed that aswell..and well since it was my first time in pakistan after 14 years..(in 97)...I really didn't know things worked there...well even now I still don't know it very well.
        I saw many ppl on the streets asking for money...and although it was very disturbing to see...myself..or which ever relative I was with..never gave them money.

In Makkha...in 97..my family went for Umrha..and well it was the same scene there. Kids..mothers...men...asking for money. And instead of giving money..what we would do..is buy food for them..and give it to them to eat...esp the children who weren't older than 2 or 3.

You also see it here in Toronto...esp in the subways...and downtown....and well although ppl give them change..there are homeless shelters available....in the summer..and in the winter...

[This message has been edited by Hinna (edited July 03, 1999).]
        22.1 . O mankind! Fear your Lord . Lo! the earthquake of the Hour ( of Doom ) is a tremendous thing .

Comment

Hmm u people probably don't live in Pakistan so u don't know anything about the beggary scams around here
          The fact is that these "beggars" have dish antennas in their "jhonpris". These beggars work under an ustaad and these handicaps r not handicap by nature but r MADE handicaps by their ustaads.
          Believe me....if someone needs money, they can find some sort of work. Begging is not the way out. Trust me.

Comment

No wonder! Pak remains a begging nation on national and international level and will do so till they are not able to beg anymore!

Fata Morgana

Comment

Fata,

http://www.pak.org/gupshup/biggrin.gif

What about India? I read somewhere that more than two thirds of the population there live well below the poverty line.

Not to mention the begging scene there, it simply dwarfs the situation we have here in Pakistan.. any comments?

------------------
              My two cents worth.

Zahid N. Sindhu
              PakistanX Dot Com - The One Stop Desi Resource

Comment

It doesnt make sense to compete with India in that department. If you wanna go ahead, better follow some good examples of some much amenable folks.

Fata Morgana

Comment

If you dont have anything to give them, then join them. Begging is a better profession than being a politician.

Comment

Working...
                  X