Censorship or freedom of speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Censorship or freedom of speech

Recent cartoon controversy has striked a raw nerve in Muslim socieites, rightfully so some would argue while proponents of free speech would like to disagree. But this thread has nothing to do with the above and probably everything.

Where do we draw the line of censorship? Recent examples set by GS Mods can be compared to the American policy of shoot first and ask questions later. Numerous posts are deleted without warnings, they simply disappear in thin air with no notice. Threads are removed with Shoaib Akhter express speed and its postees (poor batsmen) are left in the lurch. How rude.

What is the point of starting a internet discussion forum if members are not allowed to express their views? Granted, this can all be done in the realm of civility, but I know of many examples where relatively mild threads and posts have disappeared enmasse. As the recent Danish cartoon controversy has proven, sense of what is decent and what is not is defined by different perspectives. Some people have serious issues with expressing any free debate on religion, while they may themselves intentionally or unintentionally have no qualms in ridiculing other religious sensitivities. Others may consider liberal ideas on sex, social habits, politics and economics as very normal, at the same time there will be those who would find such ideas repugnant.

What is the purpose of having discussion forums if moderators (umpires) become biased parties or start defining/imposing social, religious norms under which discussions can be allowed or refused? Forums must exhibit a sense of credibility, even playing field and open free environment which allows diverse set of opinions fair and equitable opportunities. Iam afraid, GS moderators seem to have a free liscence to edit/delete that is stifling and at times shown to be very one-sided.

Religion forum seems to be the worse offender. One can understand and appreciate the sensitive nature of discussions taking place on this forum, but GS forum must evolve, it has to allow inquisitive minds the ability to debate and question issues which are considered untouchable by virtue of tradition.

Intention of this thread is very simple, GS forum must allow free speech and let its members excercize self-restraint as any other civilized society.

Re: Censorship or freedom of speech

Yes, yes and yes. Whole-heartedly agree. No argument from this corner!

Comment

I'm not sure if part of it has to do with the removal of the posts in 'for a muslim women' thread in Religion forum, but in any case I'd like to clarify just in case any of it is related to it.

There is a limit to everything and the purpose of the forums is to carry out discussions in a civil manner. Yes, you can present your views and arguments; however, one must not purposely post material that would upset others. The first few posts (or at least one of them for sure) were not well suited, since they revolved around bashing Islam and that too without any solid evidence to back up the accusations. Aside from that, the thread shortly turned into a mayhem where members took it upon themselves to attack each other. Had it been a few posts, I would have edited them and would’ve left the remainder there. However, since there were a whole bunch of posts not adding value to the thread, I had no choice but to remove them completely.

Comment

You can't prevent people from putting up things that offend others. By you writing what you just did, you might have offended someone on the forum. In fact, anything any one of us writes can be a possible offense to someone.

Things need to be deleted if people resort to personal attacks, irrelevant comments, etc. You need to allow people to speak their minds. Don't be afraid that people will turn away from Islam. Free Speech will only clear up misunderstandings about Islam. Why are people afraid of that? Insecurities?
        I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadiyah
          I'm not sure if part of it has to do with the removal of the posts in 'for a muslim women' thread in Religion forum, but in any case I'd like to clarify just in case any of it is related to it.

There is a limit to everything and the purpose of the forums is to carry out discussions in a civil manner. Yes, you can present your views and arguments; however, one must not purposely post material that would upset others. The first few posts (or at least one of them for sure) were not well suited, since they revolved around bashing Islam and that too without any solid evidence to back up the accusations. Aside from that, the thread shortly turned into a mayhem where members took it upon themselves to attack each other. Had it been a few posts, I would have edited them and would’ve left the remainder there. However, since there were a whole bunch of posts not adding value to the thread, I had no choice but to remove them completely.
          Dear Sadiyah,
          Thankyou for the clarification, but this was not directed to your or religious forums editing alone. It is more of a general comment or should I say personal opinion on freedom of speech, where to draw the line and maintaining a spirit of free debate.

I agree with you on the latter part, some of the posts were just plain stupid riposte, then again they did not fall in the category of abusive language or direct attacks, it was more of a friendly banter where two guppies were having fun without being directly offensive, is that wrong? In your opinion that is unacceptable, I respect your decision and would support it as your fundamental right, but what about the rights of those who are being edited? More importantly, you consider a post critical of Sharia practices which again are open to interpertation offensive, yet find no fault in a blatant and garbage attack on western culture? Civility is a subjective issue, what may seem proper or inproper to one may not be the same for others, thus my contention let the members debate issues, treat them as adults and monitor their activities, do not try to impose 'a' set of values on the forum.

I totally agree with PCG, "Free Speech will only clear up misunderstandings about Islam." Memebers come here to debate issues, find solutions, inquire, banter, find friends, keep in touch, learn about other faiths, discuss cricket etc etc etc. Please do not create an atmosphere which stifles debate simply because it offends our traditonal set values.

Comment

Will keep it in mind, thanks.

Comment

Thank-you
              I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures.

Comment

Working...
              X