Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS outage, assessment and the future

Salamz the beautiful peeps of GS,
    First of all I want to apologize everyone who might have tried accessing GS earlier and couldnt reach the home page. Please allow me to explain.

All of you know by now that if we ever have to perform maintenance activities we post a notice ahead of time and get the due diligence done in the given timeframe. What happened one week back was initially a completely unexpected outage that lead to a temporarily plugout situation where we kept GS down to fix things.

Unfortunately there were a couple of security breach attempts at one of our servers hosting GS. The effort of intrusion was possibly coming from some external source. But we quickly took care of it. It didnt take anytime to notice that someone was trying to heck in, we immediately brought the services down in order to leave no possible access for intruders.

Rest assured, no harm is done. Alhamdolillah. And nothing will go wrong in future either, iA.

As you know that the world is in a very tense political situation and GS being one of the oldest, most organized and reliable community for Pakistani origins or even the other peaceful fellas of rest of the subcontinent, its not a surprise that we could be a target from our not-so friendly neighbor(s). Ahm, Ahm. But it really doesnt matter since we promptly took care of it. Haterz gona hate.

However that did give us an opportunity to consider and assess what we have now, where is the future lying and how do we reach there. Alhamdolillah GS is still the home of so many loving people who visit here and contribute to the best of their ability. Other forums only dream to get this kind of sincerity. I am so proud of you all.

That being said, I know some of you have been asking the features we had earlier or some of the new ones. Bringing chat back, removing blogs glitches, easy accessibility from cell phone.. just to name the few.
    However houston we may have a problem. Technically speaking, currently GS is hosted at a vbulletin framework site. It has a lot of limitations. So how can we incorporate advanced features here? Apparently the solution lies in the possible migration of our hosting platform to any of the latest forum hosting sites where we can avail all these features easily.

Every other thing stays the same. In Azkar's words it will be a move from a old fashioned Haveli to an apartment in a modern high-scale furnished building. I'm sure some of us can relate to this example

To make it simple, we have found a new home. We’ve setup a beta site already and the testing is kicked off. So far the results are very impressive. I’m sure everyone of us will like it. No boasting at this time but you’ll see as we make progress ahead.
    Once again, nothing else is going to change. GS is not going anywhere. The new features in our future home will only make it shine more.

These are the things in cooking. I invite all of the GS family to chime in. Suggest things that you want to see after migration. Share technical detail that you are aware of so we all can work on it. Please post it here, PM me directly or whichever the way you like.

All concerns, questions, suggestions welcomed. The future of GS is bright iA!

I really want to thank all of you for the remarkable patience, sincerity and continuous support. Plenty of love!

-Sid
    Attitude is more important than facts.
    "Life is 10% what happens to us..and 90% of how we react to it"

Initially I was going to say, do you peoplez know the meaning of "soon". Lol But after reading your message, good job guys.
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Comment

Originally posted by aqua70 View Post
      Initially I was going to say, do you peoplez know the meaning of "soon". Lol But after reading your message, good job guys.

Apologies aqua. And thanks. It was tense and our foremost priority was the safety of data even though its not like anyone keeps any sensitive material here but still. The cleanup took more time.

PS: I'm sorry the posts formatting isnt working including emoticons. Azkar had some sleepless nights so as soon as he gets back this will be fixed as well. #Flowers

Comment

So which platform is the migration to? new version of vb (bleh)? xenforo? something else?

If you want to move out of apartment into new modern place and prevent hacking attempts, you want to move off apache and go with cloudflare (for DNS, SSL/TLS/SSL offload) + nginx.

Comment

• SID_NY
          SID_NY commented
          Editing a comment
          Bye bye vb. You can call it something else
          Rest of the points noted. Cheers!

Delete my blog

Comment

Still have some glitches

cant seem to find how to delete

And sometimes pop up message blah blah forbitten

Comment

• SID_NY
            SID_NY commented
            Editing a comment
            Ofcourse their are not many functionality glitches removed right now. And thats the limitation of this platform we are hosting at. And thats the prime motive of the planned migration for the future. I really appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

The popup message for "forbidden" content is coming when there is any formatting including emoticons. Really annoying. Please hang in there. Its going to be fixed tonight hopefully

Comment

so indians tried to hack the site.........was it bobby?
            Marr te gaye aaN ........per Chassss aaa gai A

Comment

• SID_NY
              SID_NY commented
              Editing a comment
              lol. GS is our bobby1's favorite place. He wouldnt intentionally imagine anything happening going wrong here

Please use text only posts for now. i.e. no formatting. This is to avoid the nasty "forbidden" error message.

To insert emoticons, please use BB code for each one. you can check each code as compiled by our fellas here:

https://gupshup.org/forum/gs-service...odes-for-blogs

Comment

Some of us will miss the good old fashioned look and feel of a haveli. This forum has been a pioneer amongst the desi/pakistani fora. In its heyday, it generated a lot of traffic and there was some quality content posted here by quality memebers from all over the globe. I hope the new design/ hosting solution still keeps the feel and look of a bulletin board / forum as some of us love the interaction and debating feature while others love to vent out in blogs and share random episodes
              We are all in the same game, just different levels•
              Dealing with the same hell, just different devils•

Comment

• SID_NY
                SID_NY commented
                Editing a comment
                I know what you mean bro. We all have that deep association but will try make it as much home-like as possible. And in this case home is ofcourse the originality of GS

Bring back the chat so hunters can hunt and fishermen can fish.

Comment

PS: Thanks for all you do to keep this community up and running, day by day. I appreciate all your efforts. No seriously, being assocoated with GS for almost 18 years, i get rather emo when sonmething goes wrong. I get nostalgic man, there are so many memories associated.

Comment

If it was DDoS attack, you guys should think employing cloudflare

Comment

Great job guys! Thanks for keeping this community going.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheeda Pistol View Post
                      PS: Thanks for all you do to keep this community up and running, day by day. I appreciate all your efforts. No seriously, being assocoated with GS for almost 18 years, i get rather emo when sonmething goes wrong. I get nostalgic man, there are so many memories associated.
                      Well said
                      Be someone that makes YOU happy

Comment

Working...
                      X