Christianity in Hindi Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christianity in Hindi Movies

Lately the movies coming out of Bollywod have one thing very very peculiar.. they are showing a LOT of Dhristianity, Symbols, western culture and all..

well we always had Christianity where a cast member would be christian and that's that.. praying to virgin mary when the hero was shackled in the loin's den or when his mom was on the deathbed, but this is different.. it's like hmm how should i put it.. an 'advertisement' for Chrsitianity.. lots of church shots.. lots of prayer shots.. and other symbols deliberately inserted everywhere..

The other trend is the 'commercial' one.. lots of western (actually American only) phrases, dresses, lingo culture embedded in the movie where it's not even needed.. and it's getting quite overt actually.

anyone else notice it or i'm just watching Bollywood movies after a long time?
    JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Re: Christianity in Hindi Movies

Your watching bollywood? Ewww.

Comment

PA its not christianity , its the western culture that they are trying to show.
      And west happened to be christian so .........
      Tu bhi villain ban sakta tha, "BILLA" ban sakta tha.....

Comment

i really hate it when the actors who are playing hindu/sikh pple, go to europe/west and pray in the church..that looks so dumb..i was thinking about this the other day when i was watching Dhadkan...first akshay is doing puja at home, and then during this one song, hes at a church praying..make up ur mind man!..and also in mujhse dosti karogi..rani is playing a sikh, and yet goes to the chuch every sunday and has a cross in her room..are we confused or what?
        "Seek Allah's help with patient perseverance and prayer. It is indeed hard except for those who are humble." (2:45)

Comment

mfs, go to churches in india and u'll see quite a few of the patrons are hindus. its not a big deal. same goes for gurdwaras.
          Simple ain't easy.

Comment

oh..but why is that?
            "Seek Allah's help with patient perseverance and prayer. It is indeed hard except for those who are humble." (2:45)

Comment

Originally posted by queer
              mfs, go to churches in india and u'll see quite a few of the patrons are hindus. its not a big deal. same goes for gurdwaras.
              Why same doesn't go for Masjids in particular? I am talking baout dargah or mazars.
              Last edited by Agent Smith; Jun 8, 2005, 10:15 AM.
              “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

Comment

mfs, most hindus are polytheists, and these people just add a couple more gods/saints to their circle of worship. mostly they attribute certain churches with certain powers (conceiving, relief from illness), and ritualize their worship with novena offerings and such.

samith pai, i have no idea. i know that some sufi dargahs and mazars in north india, rural areas especially, are common places of respect. in my part of india, this famous temple in the hills has a yearly pilgrimage, and its customary for the pilgrims to pray at a mosque on the way, but thats a very isolated case.
                Simple ain't easy.

Comment

queer it isn't that movies didn't have Christians or Christianity in them.. we all know India has three religions and Indians in general aren't too exclusive about their religions.. the Indian Muslims are an example where culture mixes heavily with their religion..

i'm talking about this increased 'presence' and somehow 'overshadowing' of hindu religion/culture by the western/christian one..

maybe i'm noticing too much.. afterall i watch a 3 hr bollywood flick in 15 minutes by forwarding 3/4th of it..
                  JaddoN kaddya jaloos ghareeba tay shehr ich choatalee lug gayee

Comment

Originally posted by Agent Smith
                    Why same doesn't go for Masjids in particular? I am talking baout dargah or mazars.
                    hindus barely go to masjids but they go to dargahs in large number.
                    biggest example is ajmer sharif.

I myself go to so many places.

Comment

i havent watched any mainstream hindi movies in a good while man.. i dont know about christianity, but western culture is what india is lapping up and headed for.
                      Simple ain't easy.

Comment

Originally posted by kaka_in_usa
                        hindus barely go to masjids but they go to dargahs in large number.
                        biggest example is ajmer sharif
                        Actually I forgot to type NOT in my first post between I and am. I really meant to say
                        “Why same doesn't go for Masjids in particular? I am NOT talking about dargah or mazars"

There is no concept of mazar and dargah in true Islam. It is an innovation from those people who converted from Hinduism to Islam. They just couldn’t let go some of the customs so they made few changes and created the bidah of durgah and mazars. So it is not a surprise that hindus visit dargah in masses because it is not really too different from what they do in their mandirs. But actual question was that in movies why hindus are not shown praying in masjids like they are shown praying in churches?
                        “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

Comment

PA. I think what we need to do is to move you away from the diet of Indian movies, and all such problems will be solved.
                          "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

[QUOTE=Agent Smith]. I really meant to say
                            “Why same doesn't go for Masjids in particular? I am NOT talking about dargah or mazars"
                            QUOTE]

few reasons

masjid is not as attractive as church
                            church is secular and western (desirable qualities)
                            no risk of offending someone and getting a fawta
                            singing a song inside masjid wont gell

Comment

Originally posted by Agent Smith
                              Actually I forgot to type NOT in my first post between I and am. I really meant to say

There is no concept of mazar and dargah in true Islam. It is an innovation from those people who converted from Hinduism to Islam. They just couldn’t let go some of the customs so they made few changes and created the bidah of durgah and mazars. So it is not a surprise that hindus visit dargah in masses because it is not really too different from what they do in their mandirs. But actual question was that in movies why hindus are not shown praying in masjids like they are shown praying in churches?
                              Actually you answered the question in your post. Normal indian knows what to do when he/she goes to dargah. sar jhookao, chadar chadao, peeth pe jhad khao aur wapas aa jao.
                              same with gurudwars, sar jhookao aur thodi der baith ke shabad kirtan suno aur aa jao.
                              church jao baito aur aa jao.
                              but masjid is bit complicated for the reasons you better know than me.
                              Therefore you dont see hindus not shown praying in masjids in movies.
                              And about dargahs and mazars, thats the way it is. and thats the way its gonna be in the future too.

Comment

Working...
                              X