Mehreen Syed signs up for Indian film

By Shoaib Ahmed

[thumb=H]16_5_2005_mahreen27617_7454754.JPG[/thumb]

[thumb=H]fashion27617_5079421.JPG[/thumb]

LAHORE: Mehreen Syed, a fashion model recently crowned ‘International Model of the Year’ at a competition held in Lahore, has been signed up by filmmaker Shashi Ranjan to star in an Indian flick.

Syed, who recently returned from India, told Daily Times on Friday that she had met the director-producer there. “I have agreed to work on a couple of projects with him. These include a movie and a song video,” she said.

The young model will also represent Pakistan at a fashion show in Dubai. “I am the first Pakistani model to have appeared on the title of popular Middle East fashion magazine Alamra,” she said proudly. “I have also walked the ramp in London, Dubai and Muscat.”

Syed won the ‘International Model of the Year Award’ last month in a competition held at Zafar Ali Road, Lahore. “It is a great honour to be crowned,” said the model. “I think it was my confident catwalk that swayed the judges,” said Syed.

“The fashion show pushed the boundaries of glamour by using bold shades and cheerful, contrasting and spirited colours. It was a show that presented young and upcoming fashion designers in all their glory.

“New girls face a lot of problems in the fashion world because jealousies run deep among female models. There is a lot of favouritism and lobbying in our industry. I was lucky to meet Athar Shehazad’s Shehzad in my early days. He groomed me well and it is because of his guidance that I was able to win this title,” she said. “I also owe a lot to Depilex’s Mussarat Misbah.”

Models from Germany, Greece, Cyprus, Hungry, Philippines, Romania, Italy, Australia, Belgium, India, South Africa and Kenya and Bulgaria competed in the contest.