Ladies,samples needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ladies,samples needed

And all those who have decorating talent as their sixth sense.... I am in the process of redecorating our place and now I am at the dilemma of searching the right kind of curtains for the sitting room.

The curtains design that I am looking for should be fancy but not too difficult to make, as I want to sew it by myself.

Secondly I still haven't decided the colour sceame, should the curtain be the same colour of carpet or furnisher? if carpet then in this case it should be a bit darker tone blue for the curtain, and a yellow tie back.

I have found some samples on the net, but would like your opinion, plus any tips & tricks from experts on sewing curtains.

thanks

[This message has been edited by SADI (edited March 26, 2002).]

and some more:

Comment

Tips..

Should I Use Natural or White?
      This is really a matter of personal preference, but here are a few things to consider. White is brighter, because it reflects more light, and will provide a sharper contrast with the rest of the colors in your room. It draws more attention to the window. Natural offers a warmer, softer look, and tends to more easily blend with or complement the other colors in your room.

Control Light Through Fabric Selection
      Sheers and laces filter light without blocking it, and don't disturb your view. Natural or white cottons or blends, are translucent, and soften the light. Woven fabrics, lined curtains and insulated curtains more nearly block out the light. Achieve the lighting effect you want by selecting an appropriate fabric.

Choosing Your Curtain Style!
      With tab curtains, you can create looks that range from country to colonial to contemporary. With tailored curtains, your look can be anything from country to traditional to formal. With a combination of top treatments and curtains, sheers or laces, an up-to-date feeling is easy to have. The most important thing is to design to please yourself!

Tie Your Curtains Back!
      When you tie back or hold back your curtains, you allow more light to come through your windows, and visually widen them. Where you tie them back is a matter of personal preference. Tied high, in the middle, or low ... each offers a different look with different amounts of light. You may even want to change the height of your tiebacks from season to season, to change the whole feeling in your room.

Change The Look and Feel of Your Room, Seasonally, With Layering!
      It's simple! Use any of our top treatments alone in spring or summer, and then change to a layered look in fall or winter by adding a lace or sheer panel, or matching or coordinating curtains, underneath.

Solve the Drafty Window or Too Much Sunshine Problem!
      Our insulated curtains and shades are a perfect solution ... and they're available in a variety of styles and colors. Or, try our insulated tailored lining. Keep the heat in in colder climates, and the heat out in warmer climates!

Why use lined curtains?
      Lined curtains offer several benefits that justify the extra expense to some people. They tend to block out more light than unlined curtains when closed. Secondly, they offer a bit more insulating value. Finally, because the lining is usually Natural or White in color, the view from the street can be made consistent from window to window, eventhough inside, different rooms have different colors.

Selecting Colors For Your Window!
      Use as much or as little color as you feel comfortable with. Solid colors or prints are refreshing and draw attention to the window. Soft, neutral colors can complement the colors in your carpeting, furniture, or wallpaper. If the window is interesting architecturally, you may want to emphasize that feature through color selection.
      Don't hesitate to experiment with mixing naturals and whites, or prints, stripes and solids. Warm shades of reds and yellows will add life to a room. Cool colors ... blues or whites ... or earth tones like greens and browns ... are restful. Work toward harmony and complementarity in color selection.

For Help With Choosing a Color or a Fabric ...
      Please call us or drop us a note. We'll discuss your project with you, and we'll send you some free fabric swatches. You might even want to order a half yard of material that appeals to you. Place it at your window, step back or even across the room ... see how distance influences the appearance of the print, pattern or color ... notice how the color and texture captures the mood in your room. Also, observe the mood and effect created by the fabric in the daylight, and how it changes at night illuminated by the lamps in your room. Choose the fabric or color that passes the "feels right" test under these different conditions.

------------------
      • There's A Thin Line That Separates Sanity and Insanity
        I Stand With One Leg On Either Side Of It!

Comment

How to Measure

WIDTH
        Using a metal tape measure or a wooden yardstick, measure the width of your window from bracket to bracket. For proper fullness, order curtain pair widths that are approximately double the width of your window. For wider windows, order wider width pairs, available in many styles, or order an extra pair of regular width curtains.

LENGTH

Curtain length is measured from the top edge to the bottom edge of the curtain. When the heading (the part above the rod pocket) is not included in the length, we specify in the description of the curtain how many inches to add to the length to account for the heading.

Tab curtain lengths include the tabs unless specified.

The length of the fringe or edging sewn to a curtain or a dust ruffle by our home stitchers must be added to the curtain length or dust ruffle drop length. The fringe length is specified in the description of the curtain.

Overall curtain length, anywhere from the sill to the apron or to the floor is a personal preference and need not be exact. By moving your rod up or down a little you can adjust the position of the curtain at your window.

Roll-Up Shades ... Overall shade width is measured from tip to tip; however; the shade fabric will measure 1-1/2" less than the overall width. When using an outside mount, measure from bracket to bracket, remembering that shade fabric is 1-1/2" less than the widths listed in the catalog. When using an inside mount, you may choose a shade that will fit on a window that measures up to one-half inch wider than the sizes listed. For example, if your window measures 27-1/2" wide, you can order a 27" shade, remembering that shade fabric will measure 25-1/2".
        Door Panels and Sidelights
        ... made in widths and lengths to cover glass area. The sizes listed will cover a window opening of the same length. Require two door panel or sash rods.

Fishtail Swags ... simple to use ... just stretch across the top of your window and rest on swag holders. In addition, if necessary, use pushpins or a rod underneath to support the swag. Choose the swag length closest to the sum of your window width plus twice the vertical length you'd like.

Traditional Festoons and Jabots ... require a double rod. For a softly draped look, choose the festoon size closest to the width of your rod, measuring from bracket to bracket, plus or minus about two inches. The jabot length is your preference ... short, to the sill or in between.

Balloon Curtains ... lengths listed in our catalog are the full length before you raise the balloon on your window. Simple hanging instructions are included with each order.

Shower Curtains ... are available in many of the fabrics we offer. If one is available, you'll see it listed among the styles offered in that fabric. Our shower curtains require a liner.

Tablecloths ... the diameter of your table plus twice the drop from tabletop to floor determines the correct size.

Dust Ruffles ... drop length is measured from the top of the box spring to the floor.

Rods and Hardware ... A standard heavy-duty rod fits in a 1-1/2" rod pocket. A continental rod is a flat rod designed to fit a 3" rod pocket. Wooden pole rods will also work in a 3" rod pocket. Many wooden rod diameters and lengths are available. Double and triple rods are used with valances over panels, and with festoons and jabots. Decorative wooden brass or wrought iron rods, some with fancy finials (end caps), work especially well with tab curtains, laces and sheers.

Custom Aluminum Blinds, Wood Blinds and Cellular Shades ...
        For mounting inside your window frame: Use a metal tape measure to measure the inside width of your window frame in three spots - top, middle and bottom. Choose the narrowest measurement to the nearest 1/8". Do the same for the length from the inside top of the frame down to the sill.

For mounting outside your window frame: Measure the width between the points where the covering will be placed. Measure the length from where you will mount the top of the blind down to where you want the bottom of the blind to be.

------------------

Comment

wow madcon! that was quick, this info looks useful, I just printed it. Thanks so much

Comment

Madi dear excellent ideas and tips
            yay samjhou kahi na kahi main uljhi hoee thi,wou clear hou gia thanx,waisay interior decoration main any interest??

------------------
            Dil K Ghum Nay Dard-E-Jahan Say Mil K Bara Bay Chain Kia

Comment

Damn! Madcon sure knows her bits and bobs...

Comment

--

[This message has been edited by SADI (edited March 28, 2002).]

Comment

NO probs dear..anything to help

Gald it was useful for you!

------------------

Comment

wow nice curtains...

interesting information from MAddy

------------------
                    Dont think "you can" know "you can"
                    .::. ﷲ ﻼﺃ ﷲﺃ ﻶ .::.

Comment

Tell me if you need anything specific

------------------

Comment

Deewaaron par kapre latkaana mana hai i mean curtains........according to hadith not from my point of view....coz therez a hadith jis ka mafhum hai ke jab log deewaaron par kapre latkaana shuru kareinge to .........
                        ask some aalim da rest...

------------------
                        ~~Hum aah bhi karte hein to ho jaate hein badnaam~~
                        ~~Woh qatal bhi karte hein to charchaa nahi hotaa~~

Comment

oh there is a comma in there
                          "Ladies,samples needed"

------------------

Jahaan Jahaan hay dushmani, sabab meen hoon
                          Jahaaan Jahaan hay mayra ehteram, Tum say hay

Comment

I don't know - those look a bit old-fashioned.
                            A samurai bares no sign of weakness, even when dying of hunger.

Comment

Working...
                            X