I'm not worried about new bowling scandal - Akhtar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not worried about new bowling scandal - Akhtar

Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar has shrugged off concerns of a new controversy over his action ahead of the team's forthcoming tour of England.

Akhtar responded after it was announced that Australian Darrell Hair and Englishman Peter Willey, the umpires who first reported him for throwing, would stand in Pakistan's first test against England at Lord's next month.

``I have no problems with the umpires,'' he said on Saturday.

``I respect them and their judgements but, at the same time, I am convinced that my bowling action is correct.''

Akhtar has just been cleared of throwing for the second time.

He was first reported by Hair and Willey during the third test against Australia in November 1999 and ordered to improve his action before returning to test cricket.

He was reported again after a one-day international against New Zealand at Dunedin in February. He has since been given the all-clear after further work with experts from Perth's University of Western Australia.

Akhtar was named in Pakistan's 17-strong England tour squad on Saturday despite not playing since February following injury.

``I am keenly looking forward to the tour to England and hoping that I will enjoy it as much as I did in the 1999 World Cup,'' Akhtar added.

One of the sport's most exciting players, Akhtar has featured in 15 tests, taking 45 wickets. He also has 73 wickets in 44 one-day internationals.

Pakistan Cricket Board director Munawwar Rana told Reuters from Lahore: ``We have proof that his bowling action is legal.

``Our panel of experts have cleared him and the reports will soon be dispatched to the International Cricket Council (ICC).''

Working...
X