End of................ WALSH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of................ WALSH!

The career of the great bowler has come to end. Do u think anyone will come close to his record and plus does his retirement signal the end of West Indies cricket?

I don't know about that.
    Westindies still has the greatest batsman in the world, Brian Lara.
    Another player who is looking really good is allrounder Marlon Samuels, he is a young talented cricketer.
    Bowling wise, Mervyn Dillon is the only decent bowler in the team so far.

Comment

By the way, I just don't think Walsh was anywhere close to being a great bowler, if you look at the no. of tests he played to get those wickets.Similarly, I never considered Kapil Dev to be a great bowler as well because he played an awful no. of tests.Towards the end of his career, he was in the Indian team only because his name was "Kapil Dev".Otherwise most of the wickets that he took in his last 10-20 tests were those of tail-enders.

I consider Sir Richard Hadlee to be a great bowler. He could take wickets on any kind of pitch. He is closely followed by Imran Khan with guys like Andy Roberts/Holding/Marshall/Botham/Garner not too far behind.

Among the current crop, McGrath,Akram,Donald and Shaun Pollock are bowlers who have distinguished themselves.I may have missed out on a few other names though.

Comment

chilli boy let me tell you one thing on ur choice of hadlee as the best bowler.he took most of his wickets in the bowler friendly conditions of new zealand.however i do agree that he was way better than that old crybaby kapil dev.

------------------
        I DONT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT WHAT YOU SAY

Comment

well considering comin up to Wlsh's record well i guess he is tooo far frm any current player, so his record is there for a long time, its hard to say when can it be broken!

but its not another 10yrs thou!

------------------
          ~ mera Junoon, meri DIL KI BAAT hai!!!!

Comment

I don't think Wasim Akram would ever break the record, since he has 1 or 2 years left in retiring and he's far behind.

Glenn Mcgrath will be most likely to break the record because he is onle 29 and gotten over 300 wickets so far.

------------------
            Thank you, come again

Comment

Richard hadlee being the greatest bowler? i doubt it...... agree with the likes of marshall,holding being good.

And if anyones got a chance to break the record it has to be mcgrath but dont think he can go on for that long>

Comment

Ok, yes its true Hadlee did not play too many tests/one-day on the subcontinental pitchs. But I clearly remember one rare series in which Richard Hadlee actually "agreed" to come as a part of the Kiwi team to India.In that series, if memory serves me right Hadlee played two tests and took 5 or more wickets in three innings before going back to New Zealand on some sickness/food poisoning related pretext(?).In this series he got his 400th wicket ..that of Sanjay Manjrekar...who played no shot to an inswinger and saw his middle stump uprooted.
                So it is wrong to say that Hadlee was not capable of taking wickets on dead and placid wickets.His bowling action was very rythmic and easy and his bowling was very well controlled but most importantly he consistently bowled well and got his wickets , hardly ever going through a lean patch.

Comment

Originally posted by mean machine naseem:

Richard hadlee being the greatest bowler? i doubt it...... agree with the likes of marshall,holding being good.

And if anyones got a chance to break the record it has to be mcgrath but dont think he can go on for that long>
                  precisely, hadlee got so many wickets since there was none to take wickets on other end and of course, he had advantage of fast wickets in AUS-NZ. I believe Lillee and Marshall could compete for the tag of best fast bowler ever. (Of course, here we are forgetting older generattion of lindwall etc. but the i am not knowledgeble enough on history of game.)

Comment

The most admirable thing about Walsh is not his wickets, records or being one of the top bowlers of all time , it is his consistency, endurance, sportsmanship and pride (in what he did for his team) … goals like 10,000 runs, fastest century/fifty, number of centuries, fastest deliveries, most wickets in oneday/test-match are meaningless if at the end of the day you are not a team-player and you end up in loss column… players from Pakistan and India re obsessed with records which is all bout personal glory … teams like South Africa, Sri-Lanka, NewZaeland, and Australia has gone beyond that they concentrate on a TEAM concept … South-Africa is a classic example of what should be a professional cricket team outfit like .. everybody contributes whether they are batting/fielding or bowling … they wont have 400 and 10,000 club but they have WIN in the most important stat. slot , Pak and India will remain record-fools … As far as being the best bowler debate its hard to decide there is no one clear winner here (holds true for every team sport) … every era see its Pelas, Jhangir Khans, and Michel Jordans .. so did cricket but the competitive cricket only started after late 70s … and people like Bradman are hyped up for no logical reasoning .. if some one in my neighborhood plays guli-danda like no other we can not label him as the best ever ,.. can we ? since he never played any one else beyond his neighborhood and no other territory has adopted the sport at pro. Level. Yet .. yes Bota from Toba-Take-Singh has an average of so and so .. Bradman’s record is a load of bull crap

My pick of the best pace bowlers are .. number of wickets does not matter here after all who ever heard of Narider-Hirwani after his record breaking 19 wicket debut! … and they are best in certain categories depending on the era in which played, kind of opposition they faced, pitches, swing vs pace, fielding support (i.e Waqar gets his most wickets with out any help), mental toughness, and ability to manipulate batsman (not ranking them here)
                    Walsh
                    Ambrose
                    Lillie
                    Imran Khan
                    Bothem
                    Marshell
                    Holding
                    Garner
                    Waseem
                    Younis
                    Dev
                    Hadlee
                    Mcgrath

------------------
                    Hey one more thing
                    These things are hard to explain
                    For some it seems strange... to swallow
                    The frontier of our minds
                    Is the last place we find
                    But maybe the first place we should go

Comment

I would not rate Botham above Marshall or Holding. In fact, Botham and Kapil can not compete for 'best fast bowler' tag. 'Best all rounder' by all means. And there, Kapil was way above Botham (I do not say this. Holding does. check Kapil's record agaist Windies in early 80's)

my list would be

marshall
                      lillee
                      holding
                      waqar
                      ambrose
                      hadlee
                      imran
                      honorable mention: waseem, mcgrath, garner, thompson (i wish i could mention shoaib akhtar. but not yet. i think if he can keep himself from injuries, he will have short but spectacular career like thompson. but that is besides the point.)

Comment

well
                        what an excellent career he has had,
                        good luck to him in the future.
                        he was a great bowler in my eyes, even if he has been playing loads of test matches but the fact is he could do it so he has done,
                        and i do think his record will be broken, records are there to be broken and im sure it will be broken, may be not in the near future but it will be.

------------------
                        the safest way to double your money is to fold it over once and put it in your pocket
                        I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by

Comment

Yeah botham not really one of the best bowlers maybe one the best allrounders.

Comment

Working...
                          X