Romania bids farewell to Gheorge Hagi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romania bids farewell to Gheorge Hagi

Romania's best-known football player Gheorge Hagi said farewell at a special match in Bucharest. The 70,000 strong crowd rooted wildly for Hagi. However, at a pre-match press conference, the 36-year-old was subdued. He said his one regret was not making it to the semi-finals of the 1994 World Cup.

Romania had lost in the quarter-finals to Sweden in a penalty shoot out. Hagi played in three World Cups over a career of 17 years. The farewell match was attended by other football greats like Michel Platini and Hugo Sanchez.

--------------------------------------------
    I know this topic will not generate any response but I will post it any way as I am a great fan of HAGI.He was perhaps the most valuable player ever for Romania and a treat to watch for the audience.Its sad we will not see him again in coming world cups
    ---------------------------------------------

Hagi was one of the all time greats for Romania and aside from them among the top players of his times at the peak of his career. Its always a loss to see some great ones retire.

I recall when Gary Linekar retired, same for Roberto Donadoni, Gazza, Cantona,..

Great ones come and go, but its always an experience to see the wizardry of some of these guys at their prime.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Working...
    X