Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It can't get any better for you, Mr Woods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It can't get any better for you, Mr Woods?

To those who are into the fascinating game of golf, this was history in the making.

Right now, Tiger Woods is the first person ever to hold all four major championship titles at the same time.

---

Witnessing the day when history became a man
    • So often in sport, it is not enough to succeed. Others must fail. Yet certain victories, the rarest kind, are so great, they seem like triumphs for all. We feel such wins as our own.

And we call them our history.

Sunday, history carried a club, stuck its approach, and sank its putts. History was a man.

He got here as a one-man parade at Pebble Beach to win the 100th U.S. Open. Then he kissed the claret jug at St. Andrews to claim the 129th British Open. Then he pointed toward destiny at Valhalla to take the 82nd PGA Championship.

On Sunday, when Woods birdied No. 18 to win the 65th Masters, he did more than beat the field. He went beyond winning a golf tournament. In becoming the first man to hold all four of the game's major championships at the same time, he transcended his sport with history's ultimate shorthand: Greatness.

If his eyes welled with tears for a moment, and he hid behind his dark hat, we filled in the shadow with our own expression -- an awe-filled smile. Golf, of course, is just a game. On Sunday, Woods' game transcended the course and ascended into memory, right before our eyes. And memory signed its scorecard, and became history.

It's just sports. Just a game. Just golf.

To describe what happened in the final round of the 65th Masters that way, would be to say, "It's just life." Whether it was Woods sinking pressure putts that we've never stood over, or missing ones that many of us have made, he achieved something no one else ever has. He created a new standard, right before our eyes. Does it matter that it happened on a golf course?

Eighteen holes that became history, and history became a man.

---

From CNN

[This message has been edited by Pristine (edited April 09, 2001).]

sighhhhhhh...
    that guys just so amazing... i mean ppl never thought someone cud b that good ,,, hes a class of his own,, and wen u come to think about it,, hes in his early twenties,,, and hes already a legend.i just dont have the words... but then again wen u think about it,,, if his dad wasnt related to golf in a way,,, he cud v been a nobody,,, but his dad put a golf club in tigers hands frm the very beginning,,, i have a magazie with pics of tigers not even a year old and holding a golf club ,,, his life was golf frm day 1...
    and now he is the game itself,,, hes the greatest. but its no fluke,,,, its sheer hardwork patience and devotion.
    khair,,, thumbs up to woods.

------------------
    fly like a bee,, sting a like a butterfly.

Comment

How does that joke go again--umm something like....

Fifty years ago, 100 white men chasing one black man across a field was called:
      the Ku klux klan

Today, its called:
      The PGA tour

i know, i know u've probably all seen it, but just couldn't resist typing it

Comment

Originally posted by Girl from Quraysh:
        How does that joke go again--umm something like....

Fifty years ago, 100 white men chasing one black man across a field was called:
        the Ku klux klan

Today, its called:
        The PGA tour

i know, i know u've probably all seen it, but just couldn't resist typing it

LOL @ GFQ ... ;-) You Rock!
        I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
        - Robert McCloskey

Comment

Working...
        X