Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Akram denies rift with Moin

Karachi Apr 1 , 2001

Celebrated pace bowler Wasim Akram Sunday dismissed as unfounded reports that he was aspiring for the captaincy of the Pakistan team.

"I am all at sea and puzzled from where the reports of the rift in the team come out, I have nothing against Moin Khan and have not worked against his captaincy," Akram told AFP.

"It's disturbing, tell me why would I work or stab Khan from the back. I have played my cricket with him and want to play with him," he said.

Reports in the local media claimed that Akram recently complained to the authorities against Khan's attitude.

"I am ready to play under any captain and have no motives to lead Pakistan again. I had my share of captaincy which I enjoyed and produced good results," he added.

Pakistan is forced to change Khan as skipper after he is ruled out for six weeks due to injury and Inzamam-ul-Haq is tipped to take over.

"Let the senior players play peacefully for two three years and then replace them gradually," Akram said adding that he had friendly ties with all team mates.

"Whenever we lose a series or a one-day match reports of fighting among players and rift between coach and players surface," he said.

Pakistan lost to New Zealand by a crushing innings and 185-run margin at Hamilton, drawing the three Test series 1-1.

Akram missed the Test series in New Zealand due to side strain in the muscle below the rib cage.

"I have got treatment in England but am still feeling pain and would decide about playing in the Sharjah tri-series in the next two days," he said.

He believed Pakistan lost to New Zealand due to inexperience.

"Pakistan had some six to seven senior players missing and new players who were top performers in domestic cricket failed to cope on the seaming pitch at Hamilton.

"In the past we have hammered New Zealand, we have hammered England but at the moment it is a lean patch," he added.

"This current team is talented but let them play peacefully and once it is set it will produce good result."

Akram, having a unique record of over 400 wickets in both forms of the game, said he wants to play against England during Pakistan's May-July tour for two Tests and a three-nation one-day series involving Australia also.

"As long as I am fit and performing I want to play and England, after their recent successes would be a side to beat this summer."

Akram refused to comment on a secret report from team manager Faqir Aizazuddin, which leaked to local daily Dawn on Sunday, said serious rift between coach Javed Miandad and senior players marred the team's performance in New Zealand.

"Although Miandad wanted to combine the players' efforts, talent and experience, the senior members of the side gave little thoughts to his words," the report to Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) said.

"I don't know about it and don't want to comment," Akram said adding that he was disturbed by the reports.

------------------
    ~ mera Junoon, meri DIL KI BAAT hai!!!!
Working...
X