McMillan reverse sweeps to world test record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McMillan reverse sweeps to world test record

New Zealand batsman Craig McMillan, who set a world test record for most runs in a six-ball over on Friday, took delight in using the reverse sweep shot for which he has been admonished.

McMillan smashed 26 off leg-spinner Younis Khan's only over in the third and final test against Pakistan, beating the mark of 24 held jointly by five other players.

He hit five fours and a six from the six balls, three of his fours coming from reverse sweeps.

``I enjoyed the three reverse sweeps the best,'' McMillan said after his innings of 98 on the fourth day when New Zealand won by an innings and 185 runs.

``I've had some stick for playing that shot, but I practise it in the nets and only play it when a certain field is set. Younis was bowling to a heavy on-side field, so it was a practical shot to play - and it was profitable today.''

McMillan gave a little punch in the air after hitting the final boundary of the over but was unaware of the record.

``I started the over thinking I would like to hit as many fours as I could,'' he said. ``I've been hit for a few boundaries in an over myself, so I wanted to turn the tables.

``The little punch in the air was because I'd managed to hit all six to the boundary, not because I thought I'd broken a record.''

The five players to share the previous record of 24 from a six-ball over are West Indian Andy Roberts, Sandeep Patil of India, England's Ian Botham, New Zealander Ian Smith and India's Kapil Dev.

Bert Sutcliffe of New Zealand scored 25 off an eight-ball over.

That was some pathetic batting display from the Pakistanis on the same wicket on which NZ made over 400 runs.

By the way, Kapil Dev hit 4 sixes in an over - a world record.I think it was against England at Lords ( a fairly large stadium) .

Comment

It is quite rare for me to agree with you chilli, but in this case your description of the Pakistani batting as pathetic is quite appropriate.

Comment

I noticed something. Ian Botham figures twice in this record. He made 25 runs of someone's over and Andy Roberts made 25 runs of his over. A true allrounder!

Comment

Working...
        X