Skipper Moin out of third test v New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skipper Moin out of third test v New Zealand

Pakistan captain Moin Khan on Monday ruled himself out of the third and final test against New Zealand with a right knee injury.

Moin said the long-running problem had flared up again on the last day of the drawn Christchurch test.

``I can't play. It would be too painful,'' he said. ``I'll be out for six weeks. I was looking forward to this test and perhaps leading Pakistan to a series victory, but it's not to be.''

Inzamam-ul-Haq will take over the captaincy on Tuesday. Pakistan lead the series 1-0.

Moin will be replaced behind the stumps by the uncapped Humayan Farhat, who made 74 in last week's three-day game against Wellington and who will join his younger brother Imran in the team. Opening batsman Imran made his debut in the first test.

The series has already been blighted by injuries to both teams, with such major names as Chris Cairns, Daniel Vettori, Shoaib Akhtar, Saeed Anwar and Wasim Akram missing.

Pace bowler Mohammad Sami, meanwhile, could also miss the game with a shin complaint.

The 20-year-old, who took eight wickets on his debut in Pakistan's 299-run win in the first test in Auckland, will undergo a fitness test before the toss on Tuesday. Medium-pacer Mohammad Akram stands by.

Moin added: ``Sami will be a big loss for us.

``We like the look of the wicket and he could do some damage on that.''

good for pakistani cricket.. i wish a few old guys go out of indian cricket same way..

Comment

It seems like my long standing wish of watching Inzimam captain the side is about to come true. Lets see how he handles the team.
      We don't forget...its' just that life goes on!

Comment

Great. Inzamam will lead the side! Its a case of "blind leading the impaired" really. Its also a perfect example of how many morons we have sitting inside the PCB Secretariat in Lahore. A Vice Captain should be a man who has a future as the national Captain. Inzamam is a nobody when it comes to leadership. Waqar Younis should be leading the team in the absence of Moin.

Khair - whatever. Best of luck to the side - but quite frankly Inzamam Ul Haq leading the Pakistan National Team is simply..a BAD NIGHTMARE!

[This message has been edited by ManiaX (edited March 26, 2001).]

Comment

agree with you maniax abt inzi
          and regarding moin khan's ouster...things
          can only be better now... good going
          I'm cold seed, I'm your sweetest leaf
          I'll ease your mind, I'll set you free

Comment

yes ManiaX i agree with you. Inzamam as captain, well we must have hit bottom in terms of leadership.

Comment

Inzamam as Captain lol
              Dua karoo jeet jayin

------------------
              JJ of VS

Comment

Working...
              X