Pak 'Superstar' Syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pak 'Superstar' Syndrome

Interesting comment by one of the NZ commentators, that the youngsters under Javed were so motivated. Apparently they were out practising an hour before start of play as opposed to some of our pot-bellied superstars.

I think this win should send shockwaves through the superstar ranks in Pak cricket. No one is indispensable.

Actually the commentatorts during the one-day series also mentioned that Pakistan team arrives an our earlier than the NZ team for practise so i guess the seniors were "enthusiastic" as well, its just that when the commentator said this non of us heard jhim because we don't like the seniors very much.

A newspaper report's that Wasim Akram was drunk before the fifth match and we all believe it the same newspaper reports that "X-rays show Wasim would not be able to play the whole series" and we would never believe it. Actually the way we judge the injuries of our players 'always fake' it means they actually can never get unfit.
    We don't forget...its' just that life goes on!

Comment

pak won. if they had lost these youngsters would have been scraped after being given one chance.... even if they had practised all day and all night.

but i would still rather watch a superstar like shoib, try and bowl fast. how often do you see a top edge landing for a six? or a bouncer going above keepers head? or the scared look on indian batsmens faces when they know a ball coming at 90 mph can dig a hole in their anatomy? as long as the superstars give it a hundred percent in the matches and keep winning once in a while.

Comment

well, its wierd, if pakistan had lost the match then the younger players would have been dropped just by giving them one chance, well this has beeen for a long time in the Pakistani cricket scene, well i guess when the whole team is sort of inexperienced then apas me they are not in pressure i guess!!!

------------------
        ~ mera Junoon, meri DIL KI BAAT hai!!!!

Comment

Well, the point is, yes we rate our superstars, but why can't they come out for practice an hour earlier like these kids did? Team spirit is absolutely crucial to success and the problem with players who get too big for their boots is that they think they don't have to work any more.

Too many of our senior players have a problem with Javed Miandad which creates a bad atmosphere. Too many of them have been involved in some pretty bad results lately. I hope the performance of these youngsters is a sharp wake up call for some of these under-achievers.

Comment

I say, get rid of players like Akram, Afridi and Shoaib.....

Wasim Akram is definetly a legend and the most intelligent player pakistan ever had, after Imran and Miandad. But too bad he is not sincere. It is better to have an untalented and sincere, rather than immensly fifted and unsincere.

Shoaib plays for his own personnal pride....all he wants is no break the 100 mph barrier, that's it. Does'nt train seriously and his bowling, puts a heavy stress on his body....

Afridi.....Sifarishi player...nothing else.

------------------
            /* ^You mess wid me....I mess wid U^- AlCapone *\

Comment

>>>Wasim Akram is definetly a legend and the most intelligent player pakistan ever had, after Imran and Miandad. But too bad he is not sincere. It is better to have an untalented and sincere, rather than immensly fifted and unsincere. <<<<<

judging the any player based on their performance in one test match that too against NZ is unfair to the likes of akram. first let them prove themselves against better teams first. Im afraid against a better bowling lineup younis khan and some of the other youngsters wouldnt even make double digits just like afridi. remember what west indies bowlers did to younis khan.... then everyone was calling for his head so the board found another shuffler ijaz ahmad.

sami is a good find but then again when were we short of good bowlers? but he is no replacement to a fit akram. heck no bowler in the world is.

Comment

youngsters are always more motivated
                in their first few games.

and if somehow they are successful,
                it goes to their heads; and they
                become like all the rest of the pack
                like saeed anwar, waseem, waqar...
                considering it against their
                status to do better fielding or
                put in more effort. remember
                how saqlain used to give 100%
                in the field in his early days;
                not any more.

and speaking of shoaib and afridi.
                both are mashallah big time flukes.
                shoaib is selfish and not suitable
                for a team game. he should be
                running 100m sprints instead as
                an athlete.
                and afridi...well i guess everyone
                knows.
                I'm cold seed, I'm your sweetest leaf
                I'll ease your mind, I'll set you free

Comment

My point in this thread isn't to diss players like Shoaib, Anwar or Wasim - they are all great players and they will prove it again for Pakistan in the future.But I do believe that fame goes to these people's heads and they don't put in the effort that is required at such a high level.

Pakistani fielding and motivation was superb against NZ. And NZ are no mugs these days. They won comfortably in England last year.

Comment

mundyaa.....I was a bigger fan of Akram than anyone, but if someone throws away matches, therby humiliating our country....then hell with Akram or any other superstar.

And who said I judged him on one match.....have you forgotten what happened in Banglore in 96, in Oval in 1999, the match against Bangladesh in the WC. How many more examples do you need??

------------------

Comment

I dont think Saeed Anwar should be on anyone's list. He's a great team man, one of the few honest cricketers of his generation, a class act on and of the field. Saeed has never had an ego problem throughout his career. He`s a quiet chap who tries to stay out of trouble as best as he can. He's always had his fitness problems, ever since he was a 18 year old touring India with the Under-19 team. His injuries or illnesses have never been deliberate or faked, like the likes of Wasim Akram for example. Anyway, Saeed is one of the few cricketers who has never had problems with anyone. He plays his game, packs his bags, goes back to the hotel and hangs with his team mates or Lubna, his wife. He's the only class act in the team along with Moin Khan. ( as far as the senior players are concerned ).

And those who are bashing him - will be sucking upto him as soon as he comes back and gets yet another hundred. Phir sarey "Saeed Bhai" kee tareef karein gey.

I guess thats the way it goes..

Comment

saeed is a class act. but moin i am not sure he is one bad wicket keeper.

>>>have you forgotten what happened in Banglore in 96, in Oval in 1999, the match against Bangladesh in the WC. <<<

banglore wasim didnt play. or couldnt play. if he really was in some sort of fixing he would have atleast played the match. oval 99 and bangladesh matches were lost due to bad batting. and Pak's batting has been down the drain ever since miandad. i am not sure how can it all be akrams doing.

if he is found involved in match fixing for these matches then he should be punished. but that hasnt happened.

Comment

saeed anwer is a class act on dead
                          pitches, like most of the subcontinental
                          batsmen.

just let him face an outswinger on
                          pitches in england, aus, newzealand,
                          and watch him offer absolutely
                          beautiful catches to the slip fielders
                          almost on routine

[This message has been edited by Scratch (edited March 14, 2001).]
                          I'm cold seed, I'm your sweetest leaf
                          I'll ease your mind, I'll set you free

Comment

>>2.3 Waqar Younis to Bell, no run, dropped! an early life for Bell, a great delivery by Waqar, squares Bell right around on the crease, straight on off stump and moving away, gets a thick edge that flies low down straight to Younis at second slip, putting down a regulation chance he took it on the wrist, never looking comfortable, and tosses the ball into the ground in anger with himself<<<<<<

not to throw salt on wounds but.... lets admitt it. practice or no practice we just cant field.

Comment

Originally posted by mundyaa:

banglore wasim didnt play. or couldnt play. if he really was in some sort of fixing he would have atleast played the match. oval 99 and bangladesh matches were lost due to bad batting. and Pak's batting has been down the drain ever since miandad. i am not sure how can it all be akrams doing.

if he is found involved in match fixing for these matches then he should be punished. but that hasnt happened.
                              Mundyaa every match is lost due to bad performance......and why do they perform badly. In the WC 99, Pakistani's were the most balanced and inform team. They had beaten Australia previously in the tournament, had a string of victories before the final. But what happened in the FINAL, it was the worst performance by any team ever in a final. You dont need to be a rocket scientist to figure out when the players are playing sincerely and when they are not.

Anyhow, his career is almost over.....but if he had won the WC in 99...I swear by God he would have been the next Imran Khan......he would have been a national hero, would have been able to retire at the peak of his career.

But wats the use now...hell wid them all....

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X