Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who is the best all round cricket player

hi tell me gus who is the best cricket player

In cricket you cannot say for anyone person that he was/is the best cricketer.Not even if you divide it into categories like best batsman,best bowler,best all rounder,best wicketkeeper etc. I think we can take these categories and make a hall of fame for each.Or perhaps decide on best player in each category for a particular era.
    OTOH I think a list of 50 greatest cricketers ever allready exists.I think it was issued last year,by wisden?
    Interesting info here would be that it included 3 pakistanis.Hanif Mohammad,Javed Miandad and Imran Khan.

Comment

Currently, I'd say Wasim da man.
      A samurai bares no sign of weakness, even when dying of hunger.

Comment

INZAMAM

Comment

All-round cricket player.....? Do you mean all-rounder?

I agree that if you want to ask "of all times" sorta thing, there are many GREATS of the game, who played many many years ago...

Amongst those cricketers whom I have seen play, I'd definitely rate Imran Khan as the best all-rounder. Good batsman, great bowler, greatest Captain!

Best Batsman: Viv Richards - No comparison

Current corp of players... hmmm, thats a toughie... I'll hve to think.

Comment

in current players

best all rounder - kallis ( he hasnt been captain though)
            best batsman (test) - steve waugh/ tendulkar
            best batsman (odi) - kallis/ ganguly
            best bowler(test) - mcgrath/donald
            best bowler(odi) - donald/mcgrath
            best captain - steve waugh

Comment

Pristine, I beg to differ, Viv, was great, but there were many like Sobers, Greendige etc, who compare and are at points better than him.
              But if you take both tests and ODI in to consideration, no one bets him.
              But Miandad in my book, comes in a very very close second.

All my people are taken after 1995.
              Thus no miandad or imran etc.

Captain:
              1. Test: Steve Waugh
              2. ODI: Steve Waugh

Batsman:
              Test: Brian Lara, much better than Sachin any day.
              ODI: Steve Waugh
              Youhana is an excellent prospect.

Bowler:
              Test: Wasim, and Mcgrath
              ODI: Donald and Saqi for spin.

Best allrounder: hmm...i would guess Pollack.

ZZ, i rate kallis mediocre at batting and bowling.
              As a bat he is nothing hot, more like a plodder than a batsman.
              He is a match saver, he plays a ODI like a test, and a test like godknowswhat.
              Bowling he is not half bad, but not anything to write home about.

------------------
              CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
              You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

the one n only !!! ME !!! SADIA !!!!!
                so u guys talkin bout best all rounder in the world or jst in our pakistani team... coz there r lots but in Pak.. i think Akram's the best

------------------
                *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
                One falsehood spoils a thousand truths.
                *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
                Howzzaaaaaaaaat !!!

[This message has been edited by Sadiaa (edited December 17, 2000).]

Comment

Originally posted by CM:

Batsman:
                  Test: Brian Lara, much better than Sachin any day.
                  ODI: Steve Waugh
                  Youhana is an excellent prospect.

no way! lara averages less than sachin in overall games or against SA or Australia or Pakistan which are good bowling attacks today. in fact against australia, sachin averages 7 points more. if you remember last series against pakistan, sachin played really well in pressure situations, particularly madras test that india lost by 12 runs.

In fact, steve is way better than lara as far as tests go and even chandepaul is more important to windies than lara in tests.

in odi's ganguly averages more than steve in overall stats or against south africa (steve 41.5, ganguly - 51.18) or pakistan (steve 28.8 gangs- 43.27) (overall steve 32, ganguly, 45) there is really no comaprison here. ganguly won man of match award 23 times in 158 games (srt 37 times in 263 games) while steve won man of the match 17 times in 299 games.

[This message has been edited by ZZ (edited December 17, 2000).]

Comment

Yes, lara has a poor average, but the stuff he accomplished in the past, still makes him the best in my eyes.
                    But averages don't show the class, ability and style of a player.
                    Sachin is good, but mainly on Indian pitches.
                    This is a long procedure, but if you check sachin record out side of india against any team it is patethic.
                    Check at khel.com, which has excellent stat records.

Ganguly is very good also, he is better outside than sachin as you said.
                    Man of the match and series, doesn't really count.
                    Waugh is a match saver, he is there when the runs need to be scored, he is like his nick.
                    An Ice-man.
                    Unhiging cold determined, and damn hard to get out.
                    The first world cup match between Pakistan and AUS is such an example.
                    Waugh plays the anchor role and does it well.
                    Ganguly on the other hand comes in usually 1 down or 2 down, if he is not the opener.
                    And it is a well known that Openers have a much better strike rate etc. compared to people who come down at 6.
                    Comparing ganguly and waugh is like comparing sobers to border, the difference is obvious.
                    I will give more detail tomorrow with stats.
                    It is getting very late.

------------------
                    CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
                    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Lara's average abroad, outside WI, 40.10

Sachin's average abroad , outside India, 53.01.

ganguly is not better than sachin in tests. donno why though.

take any comparison, against any country, home or away, srt has better figures than lara.

with steve in tests, u have a point, not in odi's.

man of the match is a good indicator of how useful the player is to the team in winning games. bowlers get a raw deal in it. but we are comparing batsman here.

[This message has been edited by ZZ (edited December 17, 2000).]

Comment

Sorry to burst your bubble ZZ - but Tendulkar's average outside of India is high because of the runs he's scored in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and New Zealand - countries with poor bowling attacks and slow, batting wickets.

Obviously his average would be high..but the fact is that Tendulkar has yet to prove himself at the test level against Pakistan, Australia and South Africa in their respective countries.

Coming back to the topic..

The best batsmen in the world in both tests and odi - in whatever order depending on current form are -

Saeed Anwar, Sachin Tendulkar, Steve Waugh and Brian Lara.

Allrounders: Abdur Razzaq, Jacques Kallis,
                        Azhar Mahmood, Chris Cairns.

Bowlers: Wasim Akram, Glenn Mcgrath, Courtney Walsh (even today).

Shoaib Akhter and Lee may be quick but they have yet to prove themselves.

------------------

Laterz,
                        ManiaX.

Comment

There was a report before about Tendulkar's batting. That he scores most of his runs against the weaker teams, while Ganguly and Dravid score more of their runs against higher ranked teams?

Anyways if you were to determine MoM, that's too hard because each team is different in skills.

Many of you guys have forgotten Beven from ODI's. The guy may not hit centuries, but does keep Australia in balance with a great average.

I don't know what to say for best. You can call anyone best, but the next year their not the best anymore.. Someone best to me, is someone you still does what he did yesterday and continues the same thing tomorrow. Someone like Steve Waugh....??

Oh well anyways here's my list.

Allrounders: Kallis and Chris Cairnes.

Batsmen: Steve Waugh, Beven, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Lara, there's more i presume.

Bowlers: McGrath, Waqar, Wasim, and others....

Comment

Originally posted by ManiaX:

Sorry to burst your bubble ZZ - but Tendulkar's average outside of India is high because of the runs he's scored in Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and New Zealand - countries with poor bowling attacks and slow, batting wickets.

srt's average against australia in aus: 46.14

against sa in sa : 36.91

against pakistan in pak: 35.83 (that was in 1990, srt was 17 then, never got opportunity to play after that)

lara against aus in aus: 37.28 (saeed anwar, 47)

against sa in sa : 31 (saeed anwar, 34.14)

against pak in pak : 22.25.

What say??? with steve, maybe u have point, lara no longer.. once in a while lara has flashes of his old brilliance. but that is it.

people's champ, u r right on chris cairns.

[This message has been edited by ZZ (edited December 18, 2000).]

Comment

Originally posted by CM:
                              Pristine, I beg to differ, Viv, was great, but there were many like Sobers, Greendige etc, who compare and are at points better than him.
                              I am old, but not that old... I had said these are the players whom I have seen play, and Sobers was, like, way before my time... (Maybe you saw him play, haan?)

Anyway, re: Greenidge or Haynes...Nah! I believe Richards was a more stylish player. I don't always trust the stats either, as they can be quite misleading.

Then again, everyone has his own favorites...

Comment

Working...
                              X