X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of you?

Wasim, a borderline case: Third Test
    3 December 2000

Faisalabad, Dec 2: Former captain Wasim Akram wil be a borderline case when the Pakistan cricket selectors meet on Sunday to finalize a 14- man squad for the third Test.

According to highly placed sources, the selectors and top PCB officials were disappointed by the form of the paceman who has picked just two wickets in as many Tests.

The PCB chairman confirmed late Saturday evening that he had asked the selectors to submit the team on Sunday so that he can discuss it with his five-man advisory panel and release it on Monday. "It will be a very tough decision. But Wasim Akram will certainly be discussed in the meeting," sources revealed while requesting anonymity. They added: "At this stage, Wasim is not an automatic selection."

Wasim, who celebrated his 100th Test here in Faisalabad, struggled with the leather in the three one-day international series conceding 106 runs from 21 overs for his two wickets. However, it will require a lot of guts and courage for the selectors to leave out the 410-wicket man in the last match which could decide the series.

There was also question mark on the selection of Saeed Anwar who stayed in the dressing room throughout England's first innings because of chest infection and high fever. "He will have to prove his fitness for the final Test," sources remarked. But Shahid Afridi and Arshad Khan are certain to be axed from the final Test squad. They are expected to be replaced by paceman Waqar Younis and Qaisar Abbas who made his debut at Lahore.

"We are contemplating opening the innings with Imran Nazir and Salim Elahi with Abdur Razzaq to bat at No 3 and Qaisar Abbas at No 6," sources said.

Bazid Khan, the former Pakistan A player, may be named in the side if Saeed fails a fitness test.

The likely squad 14: Salim Elahi,Imran Nazir, Abdur Razzaq, Inzamam- ul-Haq, Yousuf Youhana, Qaisar Abbas, Moin Khan, Waqar Younis, Danish Kaneria, Saqlain Mushtaq, Wasim Akram/Fazl-i-Akbar/Mohammad Akram, Bazid Khan/Saeed Anwar, Faisal Iqbal and Shahid Afridi.

So how many of you think that its time for Wasim to go? On purely cricketing terms ofcourse.
    We don't forget...its' just that life goes on!

naaa mate i dont think so
    he should stay as long as he is still a match winner and that is the case .
    he is still a match winner. its just that he hasent had a couple of good days lately but hes still up there so i think he should stay on and carry on bowling the way he does.
    I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by

Comment

He hasn't done a great job in this series but that doesn't mean he needs to go. Yeah maybe give him rest in the 3rd test but it doesn't mean that they won't pick for the next series.
      Just not a good match for Wasim.

------------------
      Thank you, come again

Comment

Wasim has been having a tough time of late - but he should'nt be dropped - at least for now. Until Shoaib Akhter is fit and taking wickets again - Wasim is the only strike bowler with Waqar already in the decline.
        I doubt whether Akram can break Walsh's record though - because he seems to be really slowing down already. So - the way I see it - Wasim will be around for another year at least - after that - unless he keeps getting wickets - I think he'll be released since Razzaq, Mahmood, Akhter, Zahid, M.Akram, Shabbir, Fazle Akbar etc would be well groomed and may therefore get a nod ahead of the older guns like Akram and Younis.

------------------

Laterz,
        ManiaX.

Comment

Everyone has bad days sometime..
          One thing important about Wasim on the team is his guidance and skill teaching to the youngsters.

Maybe he should become the bowling coach later on? Anyways.. no one even knows if he'll reach Walsh's mark, he might get busted and thrown in jail.. no one knows yet.

As for Younis, he should play in the 3rd Test, even though he was sick. Akram stated after the WC 99 he wants to stay till 2003. Maybe Akram should give himself a break then, if only he wants to stay till 2003, and play ODI's only. Since the World Cup is a ODI tornament.

Comment

Sorry I forgot to write the sourse it was from DAWN.
            Personally I don't think its time for him to go.

Comment

Naah he is not getting dropped.
              Though we need to bring waqar in.
              As well as Azhar Mahmood.
              Are these two injured or something??

------------------
              CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
              You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

Waqar was unfit for the previous match though he is fit now. Azhar is unfit.

Comment

I think it's time for this selection committee to go if they are seriously considering dropping Akram and playing Majid Khan's son and Qaiser Abbas. Who are these clowns? Wasim Akram will be replaced by who exactly?

And what is the idea of going into a deciding game with inexperienced batsmen like Khan and Abbas? It would be suicide, and if this is the level of 'expertise' in our selection committee, we should sack the lot of them. Idiots.

Comment

The selectors have selected a new batsman called Nauman I think now who is he? There is no doubt that Wasim is going down but the problem is he is still better than his available replacements.
                    He has not been dropped yet but if he fails in the 3rd test than he might be. I think if the PCB is thinking about making lifeless pitch again they should leave Wasim and Waqar out its better for them. Just because Shoaib is not fit the board think they can not make fast pitches now who took wickets in West Indies and Sri Lanka Wasim and Waqar and not Shoaib Akhtar.
                    I don't know why Miandad likes spinners so mch.

Comment

Naumanullah is a young batsman from Karachi.
                      He's a capable bat - having done well for Karachi in the last 2 seasons. But he's in the squad more as a learning experience...ie to hang with senior players etc - rather than have a serious chance of making the 11 for the game..unless someone is injured.

Miandad had the right idea to hit the poms with spin. But unfortunately, our groundsmen are all morons - they cannot prepare a spinning track nor can they make a proper fast and bouncy track. Their method on how to make a quick track is to leave the grass on, which in the end results in some early movement in the morning for the bowlers and then turns into another batting track. To make a spinning surface, they cut the grass and dont water the pitch 48 hrs before the game..hoping that the wicket would tear and take spin...and that never happens. The wicket becomes easier and slower to bat on and takes slow spin on day 4 and 5. Thats all.

So the idea was good - the execution pretty much - sucked. Anyway, we've never won a test with 3 spinners - two spinners are good enough to do the job. Saqlain and Danish - supported by a quick bowler like Shabbir or Ali Sami - and Waqar or Razzaq would have added some fire power to a pretty medicore bowling attack in the first 2 tests.

------------------

Laterz,
                      ManiaX.

Comment

Some good observations Maniax. I agree with most of them. What we need are pitches with more bounce, not necessarily green tracks which would help England's seamers.

Comment

I don't disagree with his approach but don't you think two were enough when Afridi was playing as well there was no need of Arshad.

Comment

The Pindi wicket is the only one that has terrific bounce MrXtreme. Karachi's wickets have always been slow. Lahore and Peshawar have the potential to turn out to be quick tracks - if properly prepared. But because our board believes our batsman cannot cope on quick tracks - we've rarely seen the Pindi wicket used in a test series. All the domestic sides play in Pindi and most of them get bowled out for 150 odd and thats whats scaring the PCB.

Coming back to the spinners, Arshad is a good off spinner but he's not good enough to bowl a side out like say Mushy was, or Saqlain is, or Danish - will be

It was an erroe in selection. Much like Afridi. Much like the dropping of Mohd Wasim.
                            And Waqar - and Shabbir - etc etc...But at least Bari is better than salim altaf.

------------------

Laterz,
                            ManiaX.

Comment

Wasim Akram under pressure to perform or get packing
                              December 5 2000
                              From Sportsmasala.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pakistan Cricket Board chairman General Tauqir Zia Tuesday rung warning bells for ace pacer Wasim Akram saying he must perform or get ready to face the axe.

"We need performance and a bowler like Wasim Akram must perform for us or we axe him," General Zia said.

Akram, 35, is under great pressure to perform in the final Test in Karachi after getting just two wickets in the first two Tests.

"Gone are the days when players used to play on their past reputation and performance, we need performance at consistent level," he said.

General Zia said every member of the team should perform to help the team win. "Every players should do his bit because all contributions make it possible for the team to achieve a win," PCB chairman said.

"If he (Akram) does not perform then we may not consider him for the New Zealand tour," he said.

Akram played his 100th Test in Faisalabad but took only one wicket on a flat and dead pitch.

What is this for? Rather than threaining him it would have been better if they had dropped him straight away. The batsmen can still be in the team even if they don't score the whole year for Wasim two or three matches are enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X