Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Azzhruddin was most loyal to least honorable GUPTA!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Azzhruddin was most loyal to least honorable GUPTA!!

ng Azhar, whom they paid from time to time.    

------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAPTAIN BOOKIES’ BEST BET 

FROM OUR SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT

New Delhi, Nov. 1: 
    Azharuddin may have betrayed his country, but never the match-fixers.
    Unlike Manoj Prabhakar, who often let down the nation as well as the men
    who were paying him off.
    Bookie kingpin Mukesh Gupta alias MK told as much to the CBI during his
    interrogation which gave the bureau a great deal of insight into the
    murky world of fixers and punters.

Azhar’s “loyalty” made him the punters’ most-trusted client. As the CBI
    says: “It is clear that Azharuddin contributed substantially towards the
    expanding bookie-player nexus in Indian cricket. The enquiry has
    disclosed that he received large sums of money from the betting
    syndicates to fix matches. There is also evidence which discloses that
    he roped in other players also to fix matches which resulted in this
    malaise making further inroads into Indian cricket.”

MK’s revelations coupled with supporting evidence from Ajay Sharma has
    led the CBI to conclude that “Azharuddin was paid at least Rs 50 lakh
    initially by MK to fix matches”.

The bookie told the investigating agency that Azhar had specifically
    agreed to “do” some matches during the Titan Cup in 1996. But the final,
    which India won defeating South Africa, did not turn out as arranged
    with Azhar.

According to MK, after the Titan Cup final, he, along with Ajay Sharma,
    visited Hyderabad and asked Azhar to make up for the “losses” suffered
    by him. Azhar agreed.

MK goes on to say that Azhar then gave him information about two Tests
    at Ahmedabad and Calcutta during the 1996 series against South Africa
    which helped him partially recover his losses.

This is what distinguishes Azhar from other players.

As MK points out elsewhere, Prabhakar did not go by the adage that there
    should be honesty among thieves. The cricketer had misinformed him about
    the probable outcome of matches sometime in the mid-nineties.

During his interrogation, Azhar has accepted receiving money from MK to
    fix some matches. Azhar has said he “did” only two matches for MK — the
    Titan Cup match in 1996 at Rajkot and “some” match during the Pepsi Asia
    Cup in Sri Lanka in 1997.

This “admission” of Azhar, according to the CBI, that he did only two
    matches for MK during this period does not tally with the amount of
    money he received from the bookie.

MK has also said that during the 1997 Sahara Cup in Toronto, Sangeeta
    Bijlani used to provide him “information” over cellphone which, he told
    the CBI, usually turned out to be wrong.

Not just MK, Azhar was also close to other bookies like Ajay Gupta.
    Azhar initially accepted that he met Ajay Gupta for help in getting a
    petrol outlet allotted at Bangalore, but later admitted that the punter
    had approached him to fix some matches. Ajay Sharma told the CBI that on
    Azhar’s behalf, he had collected Rs 15 lakh from Ajay Gupta and
    deposited the money in the locker of the former captain at Delhi’s Taj
    Palace hotel.

Azhar also said during his questioning that underworld don Abu Salem had
    called him up a couple of times to fix matches, but he had refused.

Ali Irani, the former physio, said Azhar had told him once that he was
    “doing” matches for Anees Ibrahim, brother of Dawood and, hence, he
    cannot “do with anyone else”.

Prabhakar, who blew the whistle, may have tried to hoodwink everyone by
    insisting he was clean. But the CBI believes that Prabhakar, both during
    his playing days and even after retirement, had “linkages with a number
    of bookies/punters”.

There is also evidence that he underperformed and passed on information
    and introduced other players to betting syndicates.    

------------------

The worst is that this man Azharuddin tried to play the Muslim minority card when he got himself into a tight corner.
    Fortunately he received little support from any quarter.
    This man Azhar is capable of stooping to such levels !!

Comment

Originally posted by chilli:
      The worst is that this man Azharuddin tried to play the Muslim minority card when he got himself into a tight corner.
      Fortunately he received little support from any quarter.
      This man Azhar is capable of stooping to such levels !!
      chilli ,after u r bitter taste this would please everyone-have fun ADVERTISEMENT FEATURING PRESENT CRICKETERS,roftl http://www.bosey.com/ads.html

Comment

well why is azhars name given prominence when there are several others too including manoj prabhakar who was throwing dirt on others

Comment

Originally posted by kabir:
          well why is azhars name given prominence when there are several others too including manoj prabhakar who was throwing dirt on others
          Kabir,
          First he was the captain.one of the senior most ,respected,according to some the most loyal in his delivery of the fixed result,that makes him a big player compared to "he also did" associate,he cant be excluded b/c he is a minority,Do you have ONE reason why his name should be kept secret,besides every body knows it is a ring & not one man operation.
          I'mn soory Kabir ,you & many other may have been his die hard fan & it may be a strong dissappointment ,& i understand.
          Just to lighten up chk.the link to jokes on other cricketers in the link given in my 2nd post & remeber not to take it pesonally or too seriously.Some time we make odinary ppl. heroes who are not to be one .

Comment

The answe is, Azhar is being made a scape goat.

Kapil Dev's name has been mentioned numerous times (and hes not even taking action against the accusers,and even stands down from the management of the indian team)

But he has been let off

The reason being, he is one of the greatest names in indian cricket and secondly he is not a muslim.

Comment

Originally posted by SAL01:

The answe is, Azhar is being made a scape goat.

Kapil Dev's name has been mentioned numerous times (and hes not even taking action against the accusers,and even stands down from the management of the indian team)

But he has been let off

The reason being, he is one of the greatest names in indian cricket and secondly he is not a muslim.
              I don't know whether u r paki or not ,but you r a muslim ,to think so.

Did you ask Azhar bhai when he divorced his muslim wife to marry a HINDU sangita Bijlani doughter of Moti Lal Bijlani a sindhi hindu merchant of bombay.

When he was made captain &given unprecedentent long run from 80 to the mellineum both as captain & as player,was he representing muslims .Has he ever contributed to muslim riots fund ,& of course he was too chicken to utter few words for his victim muslim bretheren,lest he comes into less favour from bijlani & company & lose his house in the Banjara Hills area of Hyderabad.
              Forget it ,he was oppertunist who happen to be a muslim,just like dawood ,is a gunda who happens to be a musl

------------------

Comment

Sports | Entertainment | India Business | Intl Business | Stocks |
                Infotech Health/Science | Editorial | Columnists | On Camera FREE
                NEWSLETTER | STOCK TICKER | PHOTO GALLERY | CHAT | EMAIL | ARCHIVE |
                FEEDBACK Wednesday
                8 November 2000

Find  in
                  SPORTS HEADLINES
                  Home
                  Breaking News
                  India
                  Cities
                  World
                  Sports
                     Cricket
                     Football
                     Tennis
                     Hockey
                     Athletics
                     Horse Racing
                     Other Sports
                  Entertainment
                  India Business
                  Intl Business
                  Stocks
                  Infotech
                  Health/Science
                  Editorial
                    Interview
                      Letters
                  Columnists
                  On Camera NEW
                IndiatimesTop HeadlinesPhoto GalleryWeatherAstrospeakCricket Ratings
                Times Cricket
                  Features
                    Lost Victory
                    Indians of the
                century
                    Young Republic
                Old Civilization
                  Interactive
                 Crossword
                      Java
                 Today's Chat
                  Message Boards

Live Quotes
                Type the name of the company to get the latest BSE/NSE stock quote

Top Stories
                Azhar, Jadeja betrayed India: Gaekwad
                Anshuman Gaekwad, left, arrives in Dhaka with the Indian cricket team.
                (AP)
                CALCUTTA: Anshuman Gaekwad, who would be coaching the Indian team for
                the last time in the one-off Test in Dhaka says it hurts him to know
                that former Indian skipper Mohammad Azharuddin and Ajay Jadeja had
                betrayed the country.

Gaekwad said: ''Azharuddin and Jadeja betrayed the fine game of cricket
                itself and cheated the whole country. They also betrayed the team. I'm
                indeed ashamed of them.''

The Indian coach, who is accompanying the Indian team to Dhaka said,
                Gaekwad was the coach of the Indian team in the match between India and
                Pakistan at Jaipur in 1999 which according to the report, Mohammad
                Azharuddin had admitted to the CBI.

Asked to comment on that match Gaekwad said, ''What can I say, how do I
                know who is doing what off the field.'' He said how is it possible for a
                coach to know everything.

Gaekwad said, ''But I certainly can say whether the players were
                following the code of conduct made by the board.''

Gaekwad lamented that he did not know anything of the Jaipur match where
                so t team coach, feels that the recent Centyral Bureau of Investigation
                report and India's debacle in the tri-nation cup final at Sharjah would
                not have any effect in the one-off Test at Dhaka.

''This team is alright. Only thing it needed is consistency,'' he said.

He said, ''Both in Nairobi and at Sharjah we could have better result if
                we were a little more cautious.

On the ignominy of being all out in 54 runs at Sharjah, he said ''It is
                very difficult to believe. It's like a nightmare''. UNI

Comment

Sports | Entertainment | India Business | Intl Business | Stocks |
                  Infotech Health/Science | Editorial | Columnists | On Camera FREE
                  NEWSLETTER | STOCK TICKER | PHOTO GALLERY | CHAT | EMAIL | ARCHIVE |
                  FEEDBACK Wednesday
                  8 November 2000

Find  in
                    SPORTS HEADLINES
                    Home
                    Breaking News
                    India
                    Cities
                    World
                    Sports
                       Cricket
                       Football
                       Tennis
                       Hockey
                       Athletics
                       Horse Racing
                       Other Sports
                    Entertainment
                    India Business
                    Intl Business
                    Stocks
                    Infotech
                    Health/Science
                    Editorial
                      Interview
                        Letters
                    Columnists
                    On Camera NEW
                  IndiatimesTop HeadlinesPhoto GalleryWeatherAstrospeakCricket Ratings
                  Times Cricket
                    Features
                      Lost Victory
                      Indians of the
                  century
                      Young Republic
                  Old Civilization
                    Interactive
                   Crossword
                        Java
                   Today's Chat
                    Message Boards

Live Quotes
                  Type the name of the company to get the latest BSE/NSE stock quote

Top Stories
                  Azhar, Jadeja betrayed India: Gaekwad
                  Anshuman Gaekwad, left, arrives in Dhaka with the Indian cricket team.
                  (AP)
                  CALCUTTA: Anshuman Gaekwad, who would be coaching the Indian team for
                  the last time in the one-off Test in Dhaka says it hurts him to know
                  that former Indian skipper Mohammad Azharuddin and Ajay Jadeja had
                  betrayed the country.

Gaekwad said: ''Azharuddin and Jadeja betrayed the fine game of cricket
                  itself and cheated the whole country. They also betrayed the team. I'm
                  indeed ashamed of them.''

The Indian coach, who is accompanying the Indian team to Dhaka said,
                  Gaekwad was the coach of the Indian team in the match between India and
                  Pakistan at Jaipur in 1999 which according to the report, Mohammad
                  Azharuddin had admitted to the CBI.

Asked to comment on that match Gaekwad said, ''What can I say, how do I
                  know who is doing what off the field.'' He said how is it possible for a
                  coach to know everything.

Gaekwad said, ''But I certainly can say whether the players were
                  following the code of conduct made by the board.''

Gaekwad lamented that he did not know anything of the Jaipur match where
                  so t team coach, feels that the recent Centyral Bureau of Investigation
                  report and India's debacle in the tri-nation cup final at Sharjah would
                  not have any effect in the one-off Test at Dhaka.

''This team is alright. Only thing it needed is consistency,'' he said.

He said, ''Both in Nairobi and at Sharjah we could have better result if
                  we were a little more cautious.

On the ignominy of being all out in 54 runs at Sharjah, he said ''It is
                  very difficult to believe. It's like a nightmare''. UNI

Comment

HI SANAM

In reply to ur last response to my statement.
                    I agree with you his actions do not fit a muslim, hes probably just a muslim by name only.

But that is not the point, the Hindus percieve him as a muslim, it doesent matter wheter he drinks openly or corvets with the opposite sex.

They perception is that hes a 'damn'muslim and why is a 'paki' leading the team.

this is how the mind of illetirate people work.

Its the same here in ENGALND U COULD GO CLUBBING DRINKING WITH YOUR WHITE WORK COLLEAGUES , and do everything a whitey does, but they will not accept you, to them youre a second class citizen a 'paki, wog' no matter what.

this is the same with Azhar, and it works both ways. Lot of muslims will support him or like him because his name is mulim sounding (another example Nasser Hussain)

Sanam i agree with you, azhar has done nothibg for the muslim people (as far as i know, if he has i ask for forgiveness).

But its not easy being a muslim, in a country wherte the hatred for muslims is so great by certain groups, and especially being in the lime light.

Comment

Salo1-I very much agree with you it is not easy being muslim,specially in India,very true,that should have been more of a reason for Azharuddin to be extra careful,but ppl. with weak character get swayed more easily & worse of all when they can LEAST AFFORD it being minority ,you are to be victimized first it should be known to muslim better than anyone else.But what can you do if ppl. want to learn only AFTER the mistake then the price is going to be steep.Thats expected.
                      You mentioned about muslim doing all the things that white do.I disagree you only mentioned the BAD things that white do-drinking,drug,gambling,clubs,illicitsex,BUT you know the good white do all the RIGHT thing.Its not the bums,&the dole ppl. who build the nation,so if we imitate the bum white we will be WORSE than the bum white.You know why ,b/c you are NOT white.
                      anywayz nice talkig with u salo1 where in u.k u live.i have visited u.k I have been to bradford,london,Bath etc.i have my nephew & friends there

Comment

Hi Sanam

Its nice to read some strong, highly intelligent and valid points.

There is one point to take in to consideration, when you talk about the western civilisation, especailly the brits.

I agree they are advanced socially and economically than Pakistanis, but the reason being they've looted the world for centuries and corrupted their way of living and introduced dishonesty in to their lives.

You mentioned u have been to bradford, Well im from Bradford, and i work in Leeds.

Which area or part of Bradford did you come to?

r u from Pakistan?, which area?

What do you do student or working?

By the way if u wantto email me, i have given my email in my profile section (or is it who section)

Comment

Salo1.
                          I m sorry ,i didn't come for some time ,i see you posted on 13 th.

yes,i visited Bradford,Leeds,Manchester,very nice ,I'm happy to see large number of muslims & indian population.You know better than some recent problems with drug,violence ,gangs etc. Hope muslims practice there faith as a shield aginst the decadent society around them.Recently i also read about Hindu priest in Leicester area ,another desi concentration having a priest involved in seductrion,threat,blackmail responsible for his death.
                          i'll write to you sometime,i'm also working & studying .thats all for now see ya bye ;-)))

Comment

KABIR, " For the tragic fact is
                            that in these communal times, a Muslim culprit is seen as a Muslim,
                            while a Hindu culprit is seen as an individual. "

The fallen icon

Like millions of Indians, I am a fan of Mohammad Azharuddin, as I am of
                            Sunil Gavaskar, Kapil Dev and Sachin Tendulkar. And like millions, I am
                            shocked by the revelations of the complicity of Azharuddin and others in
                            the match-fixing controversy.

Today, our heroes of the cricketing world stand before us as men who
                            betrayed us. And if among these fallen heroes there is one person for
                            whom the maximum opprobrium is reserved, then surely it must be for
                            Azharuddin.

More than anyone else, Azharuddin as a captain symbolised communal
                            harmony and Muslim aspirations.

In the years that saw India's worst communal carnage since Partition --
                            the year when the Babri Masjid was destroyed and communal violence in
                            India (and Bombay in particular) claimed thousands, when gangsters
                            carried out blasts in Bombay killing hundreds of innocents, when Hindus
                            and Muslims looked at each other with suspicion and even hatred, the
                            Indian cricket team was led by a Muslim.

And there was the hope and feeling that Azhar at the helm provided the
                            much-needed balm for India's communal divide.

Azhar's captaincy was clouded with controversy and on numerous
                            occasions, there were rumours and attempts of replacing him. Yet, on
                            every occasion but one, he staved off all challenges. Proving that even
                            during India's worst communal years, captaincy was decided by many
                            factors and cricketing politics, but not by a person's religion.

When Azhar played for India, he represented India. It was a time when
                            many Hindus held the view that every time India played Pakistan, the
                            Muslims cheered for Pakistan and celebrated India's defeat. It was a
                            time when Hindus saw Muslims as being responsible for the Bombay blasts,
                            for the communal divide, as a backward community of men with four wives
                            and easy divorce laws, of a community that was anti-India and agents of
                            Pakistan…

It was during these worst of times that Azhar stood out as the beacon of
                            hope. And showed that Muslims too could (and did) give their best for
                            India.

So much so, that even Bal Thackeray once proclaimed that the Shiv Sena
                            was "not against patriotic Muslims like Azharuddin" but only against
                            non-patriotic Muslims (presumably like Dawood Ibrahim).

Alas, Azharuddin has betrayed both India and his Muslim brethren. But
                            while India will recover soon, as she always has from the misdeeds of
                            her people, Indian Muslims will take much, much longer. Their wound is
                            deeper.

In one stroke, Azhar has strengthened the stereotype among many Hindus
                            that "Muslims cannot be trusted;" that even at the highest level, their
                            loyalty is not to India. Today, those Hindus who have spewed hate
                            against Muslims will smirk: "See what Azhar did" and "If even Azhar
                            cannot be trusted, can anyone else?"

Azhar may believe that he is being picked while other culprits let off
                            simply because he is a Muslim. But it is precisely for that very reason
                            (that he does represent the Muslims even as he represents India), he
                            should have been even more careful, even more circumspect, and much more
                            honest.

There is little point in Azhar saying that he is only one among many
                            accused (the rest, incidentally, being Hindus). For the tragic fact is
                            that in these communal times, a Muslim culprit is seen as a Muslim,
                            while a Hindu culprit is seen as an individual.

Moreover, Azhar was the captain and therefore had a far greater
                            responsibility. As the leader the team, he more than anyone else and
                            like Caesar's wife, should have been above suspicion. Azhar's fame and
                            reputation is far greater than all the other players named by the CBI
                            (second only to Kapil Dev, arguably the greatest of them all. The CBI
                            has exonerated him, but whose name remains tainted and whose iconic
                            status lies in tatters today).

In the years to come, will anyone remember someone like Ajay Sharma? And
                            will anyone forget Azhar?

Azhar is the only person who hit three consecutive centuries in three
                            consecutive matches on debut. He is India's most successful captain! And
                            he was a symbol of India's secularism and a source of hope in the
                            ravaged communal years of the early 1990s.

His fans resided across the country and hailed from all communities.
                            Even if some of these communities fought each other during riots, they
                            stopped to marvel at his batting skills and cheer India to victory.

Calcutta (not his native city) loved him like no other (until the
                            arrival of the native Ganguly), and he gave some of his best
                            performances there.

He was a source of pride for all Indians, and more so for the Muslims of
                            India.

Yet, today, thanks to Azhar's mistakes, every new Muslim player will be
                            under a shadow. If Zaheer Khan bowls a loose ball, someone might wonder,
                            "Has he taken money? After all, even Azhar…"

Azhar's curse will haunt India and Indian Muslims. And if communal riots
                            ever break out again, Hindu fanatics will taunt Muslims: "How can we
                            trust you? Remember how Azhar betrayed India."

Thanks to Azhar's greed, communalists have been given a new weapon. And
                            Indian Muslims' image another battering, by the very man who was (and
                            should have always remained) their inspiration.

Tragically, many Muslims themselves link Azhar's downfall to the time he
                            got involved with Sangeeta Bijlani (a Hindu), who he married after
                            divorcing his first (Muslim) wife. Muslims fanatics, who too love to
                            paint Hindus in poor light, will always claim that a Hindu woman led
                            Azhar astray rather than blame the individual himself.

Such tales only harden the Hindu-Muslim divide by strengthening each
                            community's stereotype against the other.

Azhar may have just lost a few matches for India, but India has lost
                            much more.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by sanam:
                              Salo1.
                              I m sorry ,i didn't come for some time ,i see you posted on 13 th.

yes,i visited Bradford,Leeds,Manchester,very nice ,I'm happy to see large number of muslims & indian population.You know better than some recent problems with drug,violence ,gangs etc. Hope muslims practice there faith as a shield aginst the decadent society around them.Recently i also read about Hindu priest in Leicester area ,another desi concentration having a priest involved in seductrion,threat,blackmail responsible for his death.
                              i'll write to you sometime,i'm also working & studying .thats all for now see ya bye ;-)))

HI SANAM

Theres no need for apologies, i was interested in reading your views about Bradford, Leeds and Manchester.

Yes there is a large population of muslims in these areas, unfortunately the muslim youngsters are lost.

They are the main drug dealers and pimps, once the domian of the blacks and whites.
                              Lots of asians are addicted to drugs and kids as yound as 7 are dealing. We have gone backwards, our parents came to this country and worked really hard, we have become arrogant

Comment

Working...
                              X