India cancels Pakistan tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

India cancels Pakistan tour

India cancelled a tour of Pakistan by its national cricket team on Wednesday, sparking uproar among Pakistani officials and prompting the threat of a cricketing boycott.

India have not played a full test series in Pakistan since 1989 and the tour had been in doubt due to political tensions between the two countries over the disputed Himalayan region of Kashmir.

The foreign ministry said that a tour to Pakistan at a time when Islamabad had ``unleashed a hostile campaign'' against India, would be inappropriate and it was concerned over the players' safety.

``It (India) calls upon Pakistan to create a conducive climate, which would enable India to have the confidence that the security and welfare of the team would be ensured and that a tour would serve positive purposes,'' a foreign ministry statement said.

Sports Minister Uma Bharti had endorsed an External Affairs Ministry stand to scrap the tour and had discussed the issue with Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee on Tuesday evening, a sports official said.

India, the 1983 World Cup winners, had been due to play three tests and five one-day internationals on the tour from December to February.

SHOCK AND REGRET

In Pakistan, the decision was met with shock, regret and threats of a complaint to cricket's ruling body, the International Cricket Council (ICC).

It also prompted an offer from Bangladesh to play the Pakistanis in place of the missing Indians.

Pakistan's military ruler General Pervez Musharraf accused India of politicising the sport.

``It is a regrettable stand taken by the Indians,'' he told reporters on the sidelines of a defence exhibition in the port city of Karachi.

``Cricket should be kept clean and politics should be out of cricket.''

International cricket has been badly hit in recent months by a match-fixing scandal that has ensnared many of the sport's biggest names.

There was a shocked response to the tour cancellation from the president of the Pakistan Cricket Board, General Tauqir Zia.

``I have just heard it from reliable sources and I am shocked that despite the Board of Cricket in India's willingness the intended tour has now been aborted with the order of the Sports Ministry in India,'' the general said.

He warned India that Pakistan would boycott their arch-rivals -- whom they are scheduled to meet in the tri-nation event in Sharjah next April, along with Sri Lanka.

``We will now have to reconsider our cricketing relationship with India and we will make an official complaint to the ICC,'' Tauqir Zia said.

``The cancellation of the tour means that we will now not play them in Sharjah in April and also their participation will be in doubt in the next Asia Cup and Asian test championship.

``We will organise both the events whether India participates or not.''

LOSING MONEY

Over the past decade, the Indian team have travelled to Pakistan only once, for a one-day series two years ago. Pakistan broke the deadlock between the two nations when they toured India for a three-test series in 1999, after a gap of 12 years.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) had asked the government to announce its decision on the Pakistan tour by Wednesday to give it enough time to organise the tour.

Aside from the sporting aspects, Tauqir Zia said: ``We will lose a lot of money because of the Indian Sports Ministry decision not to tour Pakistan.''

In the light of India's move, the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) announced it had invited Pakistan to play them instead, on a home and away basis.

BCB general secretary Syed Ashraful Huq told Reuters: ``Pakistan would tour Bangladesh to play two tests and two one-dayers and then we would go to Pakistan immediately to play an equal number of tests and one-day matches.

``The itinerary will be finalised during the meeting of the Asian Cricket Conference at Sharjah on November 22.''

Bangladesh, who became the 10th country to receive test status in June, played their maiden test against India this week -- losing by nine wickets on Monday with one day to spare.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is obvious a team which is really world class palying Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, doesn't want to face the real teams. Pathetic to say the least. Pakistan should tell them to get lost and not play these cry babies anywhere in the world. One way to avoid a thrashing at the hands of Pakistan is to raise the bogey of Kashmir.

Cowards....They are cowards.....

Well I will give credit to the Indian side for making this smart move....They know they are going to loose, so why uneccassarily risk their lives.

First they quit playing with Pakistan in Sharjah, 'cause they know they always loose and now they quit going to Pakistan whereas Pakistan never has any problems going to India!!

Comment

The Indians are scared of losing - AGAIN to Pakistan - what else is new?

Who cares. Why are we getting so pissed?
      Pakistan should simply refuse to tour India
      until the Indians come to Pakistan. If they want to take it a step further, they should schedule the next test match in the Asian Test Championship b/w Pakistan and India in Karachi and make the Indians forfeit..thus denying them a chance to compete for the title.

We should`nt be playing the Indians anyway - I mean we should play against sides that are better than us - such as Australia and South Africa. Thats the only way we`ll improve our side even further.

------------------

Laterz,
      ManiaX.

Comment

Indian team just sux !!! They know they r goin to lose against Pak for sure.. so they come up with some lousy excuses.... i was really really really lookin fwd to that sahara cup n then cancelled it !!! :*( :*( :*( its jst upsettin... HUH

------------------
        *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
        One falsehood spoils a thousand truths.
        *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
        Howzzaaaaaaaaat !!!

Comment

A most sensible thing done by the Indian Govt.
          You cannot have one citizen playing cricket in Pakistan and another laying down his life fighting a Pakistan armed terrorist in Kashmir. That's one way to tell our Army "We are all with you ".

"Keeping Sports out of Politics" is the biggest ever intellectual bull****.

[This message has been edited by chilli (edited November 15, 2000).]

Comment

pakistan kickz indianz "behind" everytime they tour pakistan and indianz get their behind kicked everytime pakistan tour india....i wasn't expecting this tour to go ahead..so this cancellation is not unexpected..

aur phir who carez abt indian team..
            they are better at beating bangladesh....

dJ_ArSH
            pakbeat.com

------------------
            ik nazer ke liey umer bher..umer bher ke liey ik nazer..

Comment

Man...the hell with these loosers

Comment

I wish indians would make their minds up. They broke their boycott to play against Pakistan during the Kargil episode because they didn't want to miss out on the world cup and just recently in the ICC knockout tournament they participated.

Boycotts tend to look a bit pathetic if you start picking and choosing when you want to implement them. But then 'pathetic' and 'India' go together like Romeo and Juliet.

To India

Comment

Xtreme, though I care two hoots for what you say, most of the time, I would make an exception here. India's political relations with Pakistan apart, I personally think its not safe for Indian players to play in Pakistan at this time. No matter what kind of security your govt. provides to the Indian team, it would be very difficult to stop an 'Xtreme' Paki like you , well-fed on Anti-India/Kashmir literature to surface from the crowd with a knife to do his bit for Jehad. If I was Tendulkar I would fear for my life........

(And if you think my fears are far-fetched, let me remind you that once in Late eighties, the then Indian cricket captain , Srikkanth was actually accosted by a Paki with a knife in full view of the audience (though he was subsequently overpowered) during a Test match)

[This message has been edited by chilli (edited November 16, 2000).]

Comment

Bite on a Chilli Chilli !
                    Last time Pakistan in India
                    snake charmers were on duty remember …
                    the pitches were destroyed and dug out …
                    stadiums were forcedly evacuated
                    RSS made an open death threat
                    and during the world cup matches bottles and rocks were hurled .. and during the Sri-Lanka’s –semi-final (India got butt-therapy) the stadium was burnt
                    In Sharja India refused to play .. excuse.. Pakistan always wins and there are too many banners and Pakistani flags around !
                    They can play Pakistan in England in the World cup but not in Toronto what kind of crap is that .. what? you are not good enough? !
                    Tandu and Gangu should worry about winning and stop living like cowards and making dumb excuses

------------------
                    Hey one more thing
                    These things are hard to explain
                    For some it seems strange... to swallow
                    The frontier of our minds
                    Is the last place we find
                    But maybe the first place we should go

Comment

----------------------
                      Last time Pakistan in India
                      snake charmers were on duty remember …
                      the pitches were destroyed and dug out …
                      stadiums were forcedly evacuated
                      ----------------------------------

Quite true Rooster-whatever ,
                      AND I think the Pak board did not deserve a gold medal for bravery for sending the team to India. It was utter foolishness.Anything could have happened. The overall relations between the countries tend to reflect in the society.......The players should not be made guinea-pigs..................
                      Imazine a Israeli football team in Palestine at this time........
                      so much for keeping sports out of politics !!

Comment

Then explain the Sahara Cup or Sharjah?
                        I don't think either two countries where that would have been held at, is Pakistan nor Indian soil?
                        Indians keep mentioning not going to Pakistan for their safety.. ok fine. But then explain the other tornaments in other countries?

Come on, there is always always... fireing in Kashmir. Still we've played with one another around the world. I didn't see anyone die now.. did I?

Did you know, having some enjoyment, exercise is good for your health!???
                        You guys are stopping the Indians to enjoy their old rivals in the most precious thing they love.

Who knows.. Tendulkar might hit a century? Trust me, the people want to see some Pakistan vs. India matches... stop hiding.

At least play us in Malaysia in January.

Comment

Pak did not play in India for bravery medal … they played cricket ! and that’s what they were suppose to do … my point was in reference to your knife-incident .. these things happen in cricket crazy nation of Pakistan and India … on a wide spectrum cricket relations have brought harmony among the two countries .. remember Zia’s cricket policy helped defuse the tensions during the Sikh uprising … players of both nation get along well … these things cultural exchange (90% of which is crappy Indian movies and 10% ass-kicking Junoon music) and sports help bridge the wide differences between the two countries … India, Sri-Lanks, Bangladesh and Pakistan have to show united stance on cricket (at least) issues to confront white-bigoted ICC … India and Pakistan have huge fan base (almost the entire population of the two countries) and they should be the ones dominating ICC not half-dead Queen’s subjects… True the cricket relations do reflect the society … but do they have to show the bad side of the society ? like India did ! they could have done the opposite which could have reflected the good side of Indian society …
                          Israel and Palestine situation is different … Indians and Pakistani get along very well beyond politics … and that should help to build a political tolerance on both sides .. but alas India have squandered yet another opportunity to open up .. Bapu Jee must be turning in his grave

------------------
                          Hey one more thing

Comment

Hmmm...I would have thought most Pakistanis would have been happy with this decision. Now you get the chance to try your skills against "better" teams like Aus, SA etc. In any case if you really look at it in a serious way, I think to play against each other in these times is ridiculous -- both for India and Pakistan. First off all most Pakistanis agree that there should be a general boycott of Indian goods, movies etc, so I guess the same logic should be applied to cricket matches too. From your point of view you cant play cricket with India (and pay our sponsors) when your "Kashmiri brethren are suffering" and we shouldn't play because our men are fighting in Kashmir. So it would be illogical for both sides. We can't keep politics out of simple things like entertainent and you're talking about keeping it out of sports. I feel both our countries should go one step ahead and break off all diplomatic relations till things get better. When they get better we can play not just cricket but kabaddi, gilli danda......etc etc

Comment

Bombay Kid … its Mumbay now .. join the Hindu fanatics .. Bombay which Bombay?
                              We call for Indian movie ban for the nature of its being crappy not being Indian .. and yes we are not happy we would miss old-fashion Indian butt-whopping ! yep we will get a chance to play better teams like Aus and SA .. you can have Zim and Bangla .. that will improve your standard and records! John Wright (the new Indian foreign coach) will help you improve against Zim, Bangla and may be WI .. meanwhile we will deal with real stuff Aus, SA and Lanka .. bye bye Indian Cricket!

------------------
                              Hey one more thing

Comment

Working...
                              X