Pakistan pick four spinners for first one-dayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pakistan pick four spinners for first one-dayer

Pakistan's cricket selectors have named a squad with four spin bowlers for next Tuesday's first one-day international against England.

All-rounder Shahid Afridi, wrist spinner Mushtaq Ahmad and finger spinner Shoaib Malik were recalled to assist Saqlain Mushtaq, who is tipped to play a decisive role in the series.

``We have named four spinners because we want to exploit England's vulnerability against quality spinners,'' said Wasim Bari, chairman of the selectors' committee.

However, there was no place for middle-order batsman Ijaz Ahmad and off-spinner Arshad Khan, who paid the price for Pakistan's recent semifinal loss to New Zealand in the ICC Knockout tournament in Kenya.

In that match Ahmad scored one run while Khan was hit for 54 from his nine overs as the eventual champions achieved the victory target of 253 with six balls and four wickets to spare.

Pakistan captain Moin Khan said he thought the spinners would make the difference.

``We want to win the initial psychological battle against the tourists and I believe the spinners will matter in the end,'' he said.

``In 1987, Abdur Qadir was the difference between the two sides. I am looking forward to a similar performance from Mushy,'' said Moin, referring to Qadir's 30-wicket haul in the series which Pakistan won 1-0.

Mushtaq also took three for 41 in Pakistan's 22-run victory over England in the 1992 World Cup final at Melbourne.

In addition to three one-day internationals, there will also be three tests.

It is England's first tour of Pakistan since the controversial trip 13 years ago which is remembered for a finger wagging incident between captain Mike Gatting and Pakistan umpire Shakoor Rana.

Squad:

Moin Khan (captain), Inzamam-ul-Haq (vice-captain), Saeed Anwar, Salim Elahi, Imran Nazir, Shahid Afridi, Yousuf Youhana, Faisal Iqbal, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Abdur Razzaq, Azhar Mahmood, Saqlain Mushtaq, Mushtaq Ahmad and Shoaib Malik.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My team for the oned dayers would be:

Saeed Anwar, Imran Nazir, Yousef Youhanna, Inzamam, Afridi, Razzaq, Mahmood, Moin, Akram,Saqlain, Mushtaq Ahmed.

Great to see Ijaz has been dropped

Any other comments?

Get rid of Afridi and put in Faisal Iqbal or Younis Khan and i am happy.
    Ijaz deserves to be forcefully retired.

------------------
    CROIRE A L'INCROYABLE
    You can't fix stupid. So might as well troll them!

Comment

It's a good side. Obviously, I'd be far happier if Mohd Wasim was in at number 3 instead of Inzamam. But I guess it pays to have buddies at the right places.

Anyways, I'd rather see Pakistan play Mushtaq Ahmed in all the ODI's as well - in place of Saqlain or Afridi. I think Afridi may get some runs since he's been in good form of late and is playing on perfect batting tracks. Unless Saqlain can convince Moin that he can get wickets for Pakistan and not just for Surrey anymore - I think he should'nt be in the team. For me the highlight of this series would be seeing Saeed Anwar play with the English bowling - and Mushy pick up a ton of wickets with his leg spin.

------------------

Laterz,
      ManiaX.

Comment

FROM BBC

England will find themselves facing a trial by spin in the first one-day international against Pakistan in Karachi next Tuesday.
        The home side have included four spinners in a 14-strong squad for the game with Saqlain Mushtaq supported by Mushtaq Ahmed, Shahid Afridi and Shoaib Malik.

Pakistan have also been boosted by a settlement in the dispute between seven senior players and coach Javed Miandad over prize money from the recent ICC Knockout event in Kenya.

Captain Moin Khan, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Saqlain Mushtaq, Saeed Anwar and Inzamam-ul-Haq are all in the squad following talks with Pakistan Cricket Board officials, but there is no place for batsman Ijaz Ahmed.

Weakness

The inclusion of four spinners is a clear indication that Pakistan believe the England batting line-up has a weakness against slow bowling and are seeking to gain a mental edge ahead of the Test series.

"We have named four spinners because we want to exploit England's vulnerability against quality spinners," said captain Moin Khan.

Saqlain is well known to the England batsmen, having been part of the Surrey side which won the County Championship for the past two seasons.

He has taken 230 wickets in 126 one-day international appearances at an average of just 20.36.

Mushtaq Ahmed: A thorn in England's side in the past

Leg-spinner Mushtaq Ahmed has not been as effective in limited overs cricket, but took three vital wickets in Pakistan's 22-run win over England in the 1992 World Cup final.

Shahid bowls in a similar style, but is better known as a batsman after hammering a century in just 37 balls against Kenya in 1996.

Off-spinner Shoaib has been recalled to the side in place of Arshad Khan, who conceded 54 runs in his nine overs against New Zealand at the recent ICC Knockout event in Kenya.

"We want to win the initial psychological battle against the tourists and I believe the spinners will matter in the end. In 1987, Abdul Qasir was the difference between the sides," Moin added.

Positive spin

Pakistan Cricket Board chairman General Tauqir Zia has, meanwhile, tried to put a positive spin on reports of the dispute between the seven players and Javed over the share-out of around £50,000 which the team won for reaching the semi-finals.

General Zia: Dispute, what dispute?

He dismissed reports of a rift as "paper talk" and said: "I read all about that and if there was any disagreement, I think the management would have told me.

"The players have never said they wanted rid of Javed as coach and it is up to the Board who they appoint as coach. The players asked me only two or three months ago to appoint Javed in that position."

The General added: "There are some minor differences, but that is always the case in a family and it is nothing too serious."

The Pakistan squad: Moin Khan (capt), Inzamam-ul-Haq (v/capt), Saeed Anwar, Salim Elahi, Imran Nazir, Shahid Afridi, Yousuf Youhana, Faisal Iqbal, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Abdur Razzaq, AZhar Mahmood, Saqlain Mushtaq, Mushtaq Ahmed, Shoaib Malik.

------------------
        unity, faith, discipline
        Pakistan Zindabad

Comment

Thatís is a good strategy to have Ö England is not comfortable against spinners .. but I am not so sure about Mushataq Ahmed .. he does not have much to offer .. selectors should have selected Danish Karina he is good allrounder .. and bowls decent leg spin and he is young Ö Afridi should come down at number seven or in the last ten over .. they should think of him of as a pinch hitter .. he is not a batsman .. and I donít know who came up with the bright idea to make him an opener .. you need solid techniques to open the innings and Afrdi does not have any ! .. he could be useful when he comes down in last ten overs .. when the bowlers are tired and runs are easy to come by Ö I think the rest of the ream is good and England will whipped ! .. and yes that century was against Sri-Lanka in Kenya not against Kenya

------------------
          Hey one more thing
          These things are hard to explain
          For some it seems strange... to swallow
          The frontier of our minds
          Is the last place we find
          But maybe the first place we should go

Comment

It's a good strategy, but I might have kept Mushtaq back for the test series where he will be more important. Afridi should play instead of Ijaz. He's no opener, but he could do a job at number 5, and his fielding and bowling are also a plus. Main quality is he doesn't crumble under pressure and Ijaz always looks nervous early in his innings. Mohammed Wasim's a good bat but he should play in the tests at number 3. Youhanna can do that in the one dayers.

Comment

Working...
            X