Cricket: Why is Pakistan better than India - Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cricket: Why is Pakistan better than India - Discuss

After all; India has far bigger choice of players.

I dont think a bigger choice of players has much to do with this. There are so many other factors that go along with it as well. The kind of facilities you have, the number of facilities you have, the cost of equipment, the minor league system(?)etc. By the minor league system, i mean, having something similar to country cricket in England, meaning, providing a medium for young talent to work its way up.
    Now Pakistan and India pretty much cancel each other out in each of the above categories, except for perhaps the cost of equipment, which might be slightly in favor of Pakistan. I think if u categorize cricket, Pakistan has routinely produced better bowlers than just about any other country in the world, and India excels in batsmen, though their superiority doesnt hoist them above many countries in that department.

Anyway, specifically between India and Pakistan, its hard to tell which country is better, since they both play more with emotions, guts and a little bit of politics than expertise.

Comment

India lags in the night matches during Ramadan also they have not promoted using taped tennis balls for cricket in the streets the way we have.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Akif:
        Anyway, specifically between India and Pakistan, its hard to tell which country is better, since they both play more with emotions, guts and a little bit of politics than expertise.
        dewd, playing with emotions and guts is what sport is all about, it's what develops your 'expertise'. So I guess then to you an athlete is only worthy enough to win a medal at the Olympics for display of skill, no emotions or guts involved?

Playing with guts is what eventually makes an individual/team 'better'.

Comment

I think Imran Khan can single handedly take credit for Pakistani Cricket as it is now. Just look at record before Imran and after Imran. He was extremely popular, people were with him and he could easily shut up cricket board members. He was excellent at spotting talent and nurturing it. None in India had been able to do it.

Comment

Elmo....I have a lot of guts....can i walk up to the PCB and have them induct me in the team? Noone is gonna give me any ghaas unless i have the required expertise and skills.
            Between Pakistan and India, its more about emotions than anything else, because more often than not, its a personal affair between the two. Its not always about 'Pakistan' wanting to beat 'India'. Its either 'Muslims' wanting to beat 'Hindus', or 'Saeed Anwar' wanting to beat 'Srinath', cause Srinath bowled him out the last time he was up. Its always personal. And that mars all the professional competitiveness between these two countries, no matter what sport they are playing.

Comment

Akif, you're right, it is more personal when the two play each other.

I think you've misinterpreted what I meant, (perhaps even the the question altogether). As far as I can see, the Q is "which is the better team" rather than "which is the better team when they play each other".

Alright, for discussion sake, if you think Pak-Ind mathces are unfair indicators becaue of their personal nature, lets take them out of the picture temporarily.

Which team performs better against other test-playing nations now?

Comment

If you look at the India's record for the past year, they haven't done that well.
                In the other hand Pakistan has done a great job this past year. If you look at all the world cup records, pakistan has reached into the semi-finals and finals more than India has.

------------------
                Thank you, come again

Comment

Basically, most of our players have come from two cities: Lahore and Karachi. This is starting to change now, but I still feel we don't really exploit our strengths very well. If sport actually counted for much in Pakistan, i can guarantee you we would win the World Cup every other year.

Ullu's point about Imran khan is not really valid. It is easy to spot talent if it is there. I think if it was there in India, someone would have spotted it by now. After all, they have a couple of great batsmen, Tendulkar and Ganguli. No problems spotting them was there?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Xtreme:

Ullu's point about Imran khan is not really valid. It is easy to spot talent if it is there. I think if it was there in India, someone would have spotted it by now. After all, they have a couple of great batsmen, Tendulkar and Ganguli. No problems spotting them was there?

Well... compare the record of Pakistani team before Imran became a captain and after it and u will realize importance of Imran. How many match winning fast bowlers came from Pakistan before Imran? How many wins? Did talent suddenly appear?

Take case of Ganguly. After first chance at age of 20 in which he played one ODI and made 3 runs, he was dropped for 4 long years and when he was selected again, he made two consecutive test centuries in England. But he could have failed in first test and again dropped for four years.

Comment

There is many factors but lots of you have named them.

1) When will the day be when India produces a world class fast bowler?

2) A huge factor is the language, and ethnic grouping. India has i dunno 100 different languages, all comming from different provinces or states. One playa is from Karnataka, the other from Bengal, the other from the mean streets of Mumbai, with another guy from Tamil Nadu.

See a difference? In Pakistan, you got only 4 places. And it's also more easily to work as a team if there is only 4 provinces than 40. Not everyone on the Indian team knows Hindi, not everyone knows Tamil, Punjabi, Telagu, etc. How do they communicate? Some with English!

How can you work as a unite nation, if you can't speak one language, and also one guy like Srinath and Kumble may be vegetraians, the other eat meat. What is common about that? Thus can cause lots of differences, arguments.

Some people don't like favouritism either,
                      one player may be Muslim, the other Hindu, Sikh. But i won't get into this, it may cause problems here.

But....... what can you do about it?

I hope I didn't offend of my Indian buddies here.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples Champ:

1) When will the day be when India produces a world class fast bowler?

Take example of Srinath. According to what TV measured in world cup, he was faster than McGrath (BTW, he is vegetarian) rated at around 94. But McGrath (at 88) is definitely more deadly. So here is where training comes in.

And skill in in fast bowling is not easy. Fast bowling is extremely tough job and in general Indians have laid back attitude. That is my opinion. Imran's contribution is that he shook the things and created a tradition of quality fast bowlers. Otherwise, where were quality fast bowlers before Imran?

Comment

Its difficult to say that which team is better. This is bcoz Pakistan has strong bowling attack and India has Strong Batting line up. But......... if u look at the number of matches played between the two, it is seen that PAK has won more natches than India. This does not assure that PAK is the better side. It is only bcoz of the toss that Pakis r leading. When ever Pakistan loses a toss, it also loses the matches and PAKISTANIS r lucky that most of the times they have won the toss against Indians.
                          Moreover , FRIDAY helps Pakistan in winning the matches.
                          No doubt , that Pakis have great bowlers nd they have contributed a lot to pakistani team.

Comment

Pakistan team is definately better than the Indian team because it is more talented specially in the bowling department. As far as winning or losing the toss is concerned the toss plays an important role in the performance of every team we like to defend the Sri Lankan's prefer to chase it is the question of where the strength of a team lies.
                            We don't forget...its' just that life goes on!

Comment

Some good points raised here, and quite an intersting discussion. I don't agree with Ullu that Imran Khan was reponsible for Pakistan producing fast bowlers though. He led a pretty ordinairy attack for the early part of his career. IMO both sides have better bowlers than batsmen these days. India have two greats, Tendulkar and Ganguly. The rest are pretty ordinairy. Pakistan has Anwar, Inzamam and Youhanna as their quality batsmen. But we definitley outshine India's bowlers in speed and spin. Then we have Moin. Indian and Pakistani batting used to be a strength, but these days it has become inconsistent. Now both sides have stronger bowling attacks. As far as Pakistan goes, I think it's just a case of poor coaching and lack of first-class cricket. If we had the facilities of Australians and English, I would fancy our chances anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X