• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check this out

Also from go4cricket.com

Selectors, Moin Khan on collision course;
    will Inzamam be next Pak captain?

By Shahid Khan

Karachi, Sept 10: Pakistan selectors and captain Moin Khan are fighting a cold war after the latter was not invited on two successive selection meetings recently. The selectors had named the ICC Cup probables without consulting the skipper and on Saturday, Moin was ignored when the PCB drew up a list of players for the tour games against England.

Javed Miandad was present in both selection meetings in his capacity as national coach and Moin is hurt that his views were not considered at all.

When contacted, Moin said: “I have not been approached either by the board or the selectors. But I will be talking to the PCB chairman and inquire if I don't deserve to be part of the selection committee. If the coach can sit, why can't the captain?”

He contested that Miandad was attending the selection committee meetings as coach and not as advisory panel member. “I have to sort this issue because I think I am not getting the importance I deserve.”

Sources said Miandad's lobby was working against Moin. “Miandad is pushing Inzamam-ul-Haq for the captain's job. He had been telling Inzamam in the West Indies that he would lead the team in the home series against England.”

Moin and Miandad do not have good relations. During the Sharjah series in April last year, the two had a big fight after the coach accused some of the players of not performing against England.

The two also had a verbal duel in the West Indies when Moin wanted to play Shabbir Ahmad in one of the three one-dayers while Miandad opted for Shoaib Akhtar. Miandad reluctantly included Shabbir only because Shoaib pulled out because of an injury.

Meanwhile, the three Pakistan players recently suspended and fined for allegedly inviting girls to their hotel rooms have also been ignored for the five warm-up matches against England, said sources.

England, who arrive here on October 16, are scheduled to play one-dayers in Karachi on October 20 and 22 and then three first-class matches in November in Rawalpindi (Nov. 1-4), Peshawar (Nov. 8-11) and Lahore (Nov. 23-25).

Already dropped for the ICC Cup in Kenya in October, Pakistani selectors have once again ignored Shahid Afridi, Hasan Raza and Atiq-uz-Zaman for the warm-up games before the series against England. This probably suggests that they would not be considered for the subsequent Test and one-day series.

PCB sources said the selection committee chairman Wasim Bari had submitted match-wise squads that would be announced later. “But the names of the three players do not figure in any of the lists. It can be assumed that their punishment has been extended,” they added.

While Afridi might not have been picked as he would be taking a break from cricket because of his marriage on October 19, there seems no justification for omitting Raza and Zaman.

The selectors have picked two rookie wicketkeepers Javed Qadeer and Humayun Farhat while Miandad's nephew Faisal Iqbal and Majid Khan's son Bazid Khan are amongst the batsmen selected for the crucial games. Both Faisal and Bazid have played under Raza

What exactly is Miandad upto this time? No matter how great a player he was, he loves creating problems. This is not the first time he is upto a thing of this sort. I hope this is not true.

We don't forget...its' just that life goes on!
Working...
X