Racism in Sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racism in Sports

Well I've known in Cricket, the English in the past usually had a big name in racism against countries like India and Pakistan.
    Infact, even now many ICC executives won't allow that much Asian representatives.

In Football recently, a former English Premier League Refree from India, was not even chosen to referee in the premier league because of his race. In Football they have a big rally to stop racism in Football.

What I'm trying to get here is, have any of you guys been any situtations dealing with your color, race, religion, etc. only in sports? like clubs, teams, dealing with players or coaches.

I have never been in such situations, but I've known one kid who kept getting ignored because the club manager 'supposedly' wanted another white chap to play football, and overlooked skills for color.

i'm a bit late, but the UK's National Anti-Racism Week of Action ran from 17th October to 27th October. In commemmoration of the week (and especially after the treatment of Emile Heskey from particular spectators at that recent match), here's some info.:

Kick It Out

Football Against Racism in Europe

Football Unites, Racism Divides

'We have to tackle these problems at home before criticising Europe', Vivek Chaudhary (Chief sports correspondent), The Guardian, 19 October 2002

The monkey noises could be heard in the distance, and then the abuse started. But when he heard the words "f***ing coon", for striker Colin Charles it was just too much to bear.

This was not Slovakia last Saturday or any other European nation where black British footballers have been abused over the past few weeks but Berkshire, on a cold, wet Sunday afternoon last December.

"I just turned around and hit him," said Mr Charles referring to the defender who had been abusing him throughout the division three Reading Sunday league match. "I know I should have told the referee and walked away from it but when he called me a 'coon' I couldn't take it any longer. I'd been putting up with the abuse from him for quite a while."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Top black footballers will meet to consider Europe boycott, Vivek Chaudhary (Chief sports correspondent), The Guardian, 15 October 2002

Leading black footballers are to hold a meeting to consider a possible boycott on playing matches in Europe unless more action is taken to clamp down on racism in stadiums across the continent.

Following the weekend's events in Bratislava, when England's Emile Heskey and Ashley Cole were the victims of severe racist abuse, a number of leading black footballers have contacted Kick it Out - Britain's leading anti-racism football organisation - to express their anger at what they say is inaction by the game's governing authority to stamp out such behaviour.

Sir Herman Ouseley, chairman of Kick It Out, said yesterday that plans were being made to hold a meeting of leading black footballers in the next few weeks, to discuss action against the continuing racist abuse they face when playing on the continent.

Sir Herman said some black players, including the Arsenal and France striker Thierry Henry, had already expressed support for a boycott. He said that unless Uefa, European football's governing body, took firmer action, there would be a boycott by black footballers playing in Europe.

Sir Herman said: "Black players have had enough of putting up with racial abuse. They feel that not enough is being done and that not enough progress is being made to tackle racism on the continent.

"This is not about what happened over the weekend during England's match against Slovakia. Many black players have been abused consistently every time they play in Europe.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    FA should look closer to home, Denis Cambell, The Observer, 20 October 2002

Emile Heskey described the boos, chants and monkey noises from the home fans in Bratislava last Saturday night as the worst racially motivated abuse he had ever experienced. By way of contrast, the Liverpool forward explained, that sort of behaviour had all but disappeared from stadiums in England - a verdict endorsed by his England team-mate Sol Campbell.

Their comments reflected, and will strengthen, the widespread perception that English football is 'clean' of racism. Gone are the unenlightened days of the 1960s, '70s and '80s when bananas were thrown on the pitch, entire stands would make 'ooh, ooh' monkey noises and National Front newspapers would do a brisk trade outside grounds. The general view is that if racism is still a problem, it is a serious one only abroad, not here.

The Football Association are doing their best to reinforce that impression. In one of the most ill-advised 'spinning' manoeuvres in recent FA history, they even told the media that the trouble involving England fans inside the stadium in Slovakia was sparked by the home fans' abuse of Heskey and Ashley Cole. The way the FA told it, all those socially aware young men in Burberry caps and Hackett tops took umbrage on the players' behalf.

If only. Sadly, Heskey and Campbell are wrong, and so is everybody else who thinks racism at English football grounds is a thing of the past. Sadly, it took less than four minutes after the kick-off last Saturday for a hardcore of idiots in the England end to start calling Heskey a 'nigger' and a 'black c***'.

Sadly, the cosy notion that racism has been 'pretty much eradicated here' is nothing more than a complacent, self-serving myth. Sadly, racism is still alive in English football and, criminally - in its literal sense - it almost always goes unpunished.

Comment

Black icon kicks South African sporting myths into touch, Rory Carroll
      The Guardian, 28 October 2002

South Africa's best black rugby player has prompted uproar by denouncing the national sport as a bastion of white supremacy which faked multiracial harmony to host the 1995 world cup with Nelson Mandela's blessing.

On the eve of the Springboks' European tour, Chester Williams, a pinup for post-apartheid reconciliation, said he was ostracised and called a kaffir by fellow players and that prejudice flourished behind the myth of a changed society. Williams said the unity lasted a week after South Africa won the cup and that he was racially abused while being marketed as the symbol of a new beginning: "That popular image of me being a black rugby icon was a bad joke."

The row has since widened, turning the spotlight on the cricket, football and hockey authorities' alleged reluctance to select black players. The revelations have shaken those who say apartheid truly ended not when Mr Mandela was freed or elected president but when he wore a Springbok jersey and scooped up a ball at the 1995 tournament to signal support for a game long-identified with white minority rule.

The winger nicknamed the "black pearl" was a star of the host's unexpected triumph and the sight of right-wing Boers cheering his tries stoked hopes that multiracial harmony would become a reality. Williams, who was appointed coach of the national seven-a-side team after retiring as a player last year, said the sport was rife with racial abuse and the belief that black people were inferior. The claims are likely to dog the Springboks ahead of their games against France, Scotland and England.

The allegations are made in A Biography of Courage, an authorised account of the winger's career by Mark Keohane, the Springboks' communications manager, and published in South Africa today. Excerpts in SA Sports Illustrated have triggered an outcry, with critics saying the book had smeared a source of national pride just to boost sales.

Williams alleged that fellow wing, James Small, regularly taunted him. "Small called me a f***ing kaffir and shouted, 'Why do you want to play our game? You know you can't play it.'"

Instead of congratulating his team-mate on a second try against England in a 1995 game at Twickenham, Small allegedly said: "F**k it, why didn't you pass?"

Williams was not surprised. "I had been called the k-word many times in my rugby life. It was standard practice in most matches I played in the early 1990s and James had a reputation for being abusive and vocal on the field." Small said in a statement through his lawyer that he had "no independent recollection of the specific events to which Chester refers".

Williams said that while on international tours he would eat on his own while the rest of the squad ate together. The coach, Nick Mallet, allegedly excluded him from the 1999 world cup by saying he had enough "quota" players.

"The marketing men conveniently branded me a sign of change - nothing could have been more of a lie." The book's author said it was the international media which had fabricated the myth of unity and that those inside the game knew that without places reserved for black players teams would remain white-dominated.

Some rugby officials were less bothered about the claims of racism than the book's affront in calling the world cup winning captain, Francois Pienaar, more flash than substance. The controversy has also revived resentment against those such as Williams who cooperated with white-dominated institutions before apartheid was dismantled. "This country has yet to decisively and significantly deal with black South Africans who collaborated with that regime," Phylicia Oppelt, a newspaper columnist, said yesterday. Frustrated with the paucity of black players on national teams, the ANC government announced in February that it would consider laws to force sporting federations and coaches to field black players.

The male hockey team lost its national status last year for choosing only white players. Football officials were accused of the same during the African Cup of Nations finals while the United Cricket Board said recently it wanted to end quotas.

Comment

Originally posted by Nadia_H:
        i'm a bit late, but ...
        From Sep 2000 to Oct 2002, yeah you are a "bit" late.

How did you actually dig up this thread?
        "Let your friends underestimate your virtues. Let your enemies overestimate your faults." - Godfather.

Comment

Originally posted by Faisal:
          From Sep 2000 to Oct 2002, yeah you are a "bit" late.

How did you actually dig up this thread?

i just entered in "racism" in the search box (and of course specified this forum). i was sure someone must have started some thread regarding racism in sports..... although it turned out to be about two years ago

The UK's National Anti-Racism Week of Action officially ended yesterday after running for ten days, but there were some interesting articles regarding the experiences of black players in football etc., so thought i might as well post them up. i did not want to start a new thread, so just put it in here

Comment

In USA, racisim in sports is almost extinct, there is still racisim around but when it comes to sports they all want to win.

Comment

^ i have to stay... sports is the one thing that unites all

Comment

Hahahaha what the!
                I was reading the posts, and saw who started it, and was confused for quite a while that did someone just get into my account.
                Now I see it is from 2000.. :-D wow, I wrote that!?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples Champ:
                  Hahahaha what the!
                  I was reading the posts, and saw who started it, and was confused for quite a while that did someone just get into my account.
                  Now I see it is from 2000.. :-D wow, I wrote that!?
                  lol.... bet you weren't expecting anyone to reply to it two years down the road.

Comment

is this the oldest thread ever brought back to life???

Comment

Cricket racism

Hello all

I am a Pakistani living in South Africa. Very little has changed in this part of the world and racism is well and alive in all South African sports. Last years more than 90% of all cricket matches where white teams were supposed to play non white teams were cancelled because those white racist simply refuse to play cricket against players of colour.

Here is an article that was recently published in a South African newspaper

South Africa's Sports Minister Ngconde Balfour has disclosed that government is considering introducing new laws to force the selection of more blacks in national teams.

Balfour told parliament Tuesday that the country could no longer rely on the goodwill of white coaches to include more blacks in their teams.

"Transformation can longer be left to the goodwill of white individuals ... we have got to a point where we are not going to allow white coaches and white selectors to just decide what they want to do," he said.

Balfour said he would be meeting with national sporting federations to consider targets in the transformation phase.

Nearly all major national teams of different sports in South Africa are caught up with the problem of having to include more blacks in their sides.

The Springboks national rugby team has been under the spotlight because the team normally fields one or two black players.

Cricket has recently also come under criticism over the number of black players in the team. The Australian tour was marred by a race row between South African selectors over a black player who was included in the team at the eleventh hour. Most white cricket administrators are still struggling to come to grips with the inclusion of Gibbs and Ntini despite the performances of those players

More recently the South African soccer team's camp, while in Mali during the African Cup of Nations finals, was reportedly plagued by allegations of racism in the selection of players.

Bafana Bafana black players complained that white coach Carlos Queiroz was favouring white players. At times there were only two black players in the team.

Last year South African men's hockey team lost its national status because it was made up of white players only and refused to include black players despite the fact that a black team from Cape Town won the domestic league championship.

Some sporting codes have introduced the quota system, which compels teams to include a small number of blacks. Provincial rugby teams require that there are two black players per team. Heavy penalties will be introduced for racist victimisation of black players

Balfour said he was not going to tolerate the quota system any more and expected real changes in sport.

He said television coverage of sports would also be scrutinised so that national sports could be accessible to ordinary people on free-to-air channels

Comment

Working...
                      X