Messier Back in the BIG-APPLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Messier Back in the BIG-APPLE

Yesterday, the Canucks' ex-captain Mark Messier signed a much anticipatd two years $11 million worth deal with the NewYork Rangers. Does he still have enough gas left in his tank to lead the Rangers to a Stanley-Cup victory..I kinda doubt that. But, his leadership skills on and off the ice are unquestionable. Messier is one of the few players still palying from the 80's Edmonton Oilers' dynasty which won five stanley cups.

[This message has been edited by outlaw (edited July 15, 2000).]

I think for the rangers, its a waste of $11 mill, and a spot on the roster. For some reason, the rangers for the past 5 yrs have been building their team as if they intend to win each and every year. They never acknowledged the fact that after their last Stanley Cup, they needed to rebuild, especially once Messier was gone. And now to bring Messier in when hes 39, is a waste of money. Leadership is not going to score goals, or take hard checks. They did run into some hard luck over the years as well when they made a great offer to Joe Sakic, which Colorado matched, and then Pat Lafontaine, who retired because of concussions at an early age, but bringing in messier now is just a frustrated move.
    GO DEVILS )))

Comment

Akif, to some extent I agree. Rangers have the highest payroll in all of the NHL, $60 million. Rangers were hoping to make it to the palyoffs last season by signing players like Theo Fleury and Valeri Kamensky, but none of them turned out to be a true leader. Rangers' GM Glen Sather is counting on Messier's leadership skills to gel the Rnagers' together; interestng situation. Well, we have to waite and see
      Yeah, I routed for the Devils during the playoffs. The whole team has such a big heart. Especially, the way they came roaring back against the Flyers when they were down three games to one. Speaks out loudly about the team's character.

Comment

Working...
      X