95 Pak-South Africa final was fixed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

95 Pak-South Africa final was fixed

Karachi, June 16: Former Pakistani cricket captain Rashid Latif on Friday said the 1995 Nelson Mandela Trophy final between Pakistan and South Africa was fixed and disgraced teammate Salim Malik was involved.

"I am the first cricketer who said in 1995 that the Nelson Mandela Trophy match was fixed but at that time I did not know that Hansie Cronje was also offered money," Latif said.

Former South African captain Cronje on Thursday confessed before judge Edwin King's Mommission that during the Nelson Mandela Trophy series he was offered money to throw a match against Pakistan, but he turned it down. "It was after that match which we lost by a huge margin of over 100 runs that I decided to come out in public and said that Malik had fixed the match," Latif said.

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) last month banned Malik for life following a judicial commission inquiry report into the allegations of match-fixing in Pakistani cricket.

Malik, who led Pakistan in the Nelson Mandela Trophy series, has denied match-fixing. "I never discussed fixing of the match with Hansie in that series in 1995," Malik said. .

Working...
X