Pakistan board to receive corruption report on Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pakistan board to receive corruption report on Friday

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) will receive a much-awaited judicial commission report on match-fixing on Friday and it will be made public before the end of June, a top official said on Tuesday.

``I am meeting the patron of the PCB on Friday who has been delivered with the sealed copy of Justice Malik Mohammad Qayyum's report,'' cricket board chairman Tauqir Zia said.

The patron of the PCB is Pakistan President Rafiq Tarar, who was given a copy of the report last week.

Zia said he had talked to Qayyum who told him the report's recommendations included life bans on some players and heavy fines for others.

Zia said no date had been set for the publication of the report but it would be presented at the annual ICC meeting at Lord's on June 20 and 21.

``Before I submit it to the International Cricket Council (ICC) next month, the report will be released. But at the moment, I cannot fix any time limit,'' Zia said.

Local media reported last week the ICC had asked that the report be submitted to an emergency ICC meeting on match-fixing being held in London on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Zia said the report was wrongly sent to the sports ministry last October.

``It was a mistake. The PCB is an independent entity and doesn't come under the sports ministry,'' he said. ``I have been told that the president has the report now.''

No other details on the report were available, but Zia said he would carry out its recommendations.

``The recommendations in the report will be implemented because the board is determined to eliminate the cancer which is not only affecting the game but also creating an element of doubt in the minds of the followers of the game,'' he said.

Working...
X