Bacher denies World Cup match-fixing statement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacher denies World Cup match-fixing statement

South African cricket boss Dr Ali Bacher has denied reports in the Australian press that he said two matches at the 1999 World Cup had been fixed.

South African cricket boss Dr Ali Bacher has denied reports in the Australian press that he said two matches at the 1999 World Cup had been fixed.
    However, Bacher, managing director of the United Cricket Board of South Africa, reiterated his standpoint that match-fixing was rife and said that two former players had voiced concerns about particular matches at the World Cup. One game in question was Pakistanís defeat to Bangladesh where the top five Pakistani batsman failed to reach double figures as they were bowled out for 161 chasing 223.

The newspapers had reported Bacher expressing the belief that two of the 1999 World Cup matches were fixed, that an international umpire had been involved with bookmakers, and that at least one international team was throwing and manipulating matches

Bacher was reported as saying to three Sydney newspapers: "I am as confident as I can be without having all available evidence for you that it has been a common practice in world cricket". He also commented, "I don't have bank accounts or anything like that to prove it, but match-fixing has been the scourge of the game...as this latest crisis in South Africa has shown, it is a global problem. No one country can point the finger at anyone else".

However on Friday, a press release seemed to offer a slightly watered-down version of his reported statement: "During my international travels over the past three years, several former international players of integrity have told me that they are aware of international matches that have been fixed. If you add this to the revelations now emerging in South Africa, I am as confident as one can be that match fixing and match manipulation have taken place in world cricket."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The allegations whether they are true or not is another matter. The question is why are the South Africans raising it now. Simple, it is a cheap attempt to divert attention from their own dirty deeds.

Working...
X