Javed Miandad is to take over as Pakistan coach on the eve of the third and final test against Sri Lanka starting on Sunday rather than when the series ends as originally planned.

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) director Yawar Saeed said by telephone from Lahore on Friday it had brought forward former captain Miandad's appointment after accepting Intikhab Alam's resignation from the job.

``He (Miandad) has been appointed coach with immediate effect until July 13,'' Saeed said.

The PCB announced last Sunday during the second test against Sri Lanka in Peshawar that Miandad would replace Intikhab at the end of the series, in which Sri Lanka now have a 2-0 winning lead.

Intikhab subsequently resigned before the third test in protest at the way he had been ousted. ``I have had enough. I have been removed unceremoniously which I don't deserve,'' he said in a brief statement.

Former Pakistan captain Intikhab had been appointed coach for the second stage of the 1999-2000 tour of Australia where the Pakistanis lost six out of 10 one-day internationals in a triangular series.

Intikhab had replaced English-born South African-based Richard Pybus, who was sacked after Pakistan lost all three tests during the first stage of the Australian tour.

Saeed said Intikhab had in-depth talks with PCB chairman Tauqir Zia ``but he stuck to his decision of quitting which the board accepted with a heavy heart.''

Miandad said: ``My immediate task is to lift the morale and the spirit of the team which is at its lowest ebb. It's just a matter of one victory, and I am sure things will fall into place.''

Miandad has been reappointed coach following a previous eighth-month spell that ended with his resignation just before the World Cup in England last year. He said he quit because of pressing family commitments.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, the next step is to appoint Moin as captain and the overdue recovery in Pakistan cricket will begin. I hope the team and Miandad work in harmony for the good of Pak cricket and put away their past differences.