Shoaib: I'm The Best And I'm No Chucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoaib: I'm The Best And I'm No Chucker

Banned Pakistan paceman Shoaib Akhtar has declared himself the best bowler in the world - then claimed that if he is a 'chucker' so is every second bowler in international cricket.
    The 24-year-old, who has been dubbed the Rawalpindi Express, was speaking at a press conference in Perth the day after he was suspended indefinitely by the International Cricket Council (ICC) while he tries to eradicate problems with his action.

The ruling bars him from the lucrative triangular one-day series against Australia and India, starting next Sunday. "I'm simply the best and better than the rest," he said.

Shoaib added that the ICC had told him his short-pitched deliveries caused concern, but he was mystified about why he had been singled out.

"I'm still confident there is nothing wrong with my action - it is totally fluent," he said.

"It doesn't stop anywhere - if I stopped and then I pitched the ball, that is wrong, that is throwing. I don't stop my arm anywhere.

"They say I bend my arm a little bit. If I do, every second bowler does all around the world. I can mention four or five names that have been playing Test cricket for ages."

He said he had accepted the ICC decision and vowed to clear his name in time for next month's three-Test home series against Sri Lanka.

When he arrives home, West Indies fast bowling great Michael Holding, a member of the ICC panel which banned him, will work with him to try to eliminate any doubts about the legitimacy of his action.

"I'm a little disappointed, but it's okay. We are part of the system and with a brave heart I accept this," he said.

Working...
X