Shoaib Ban Leaves Notts In Limbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoaib Ban Leaves Notts In Limbo

Shoaib Akhtar and his prospective employers Nottinghamshire are coming to terms with the news that the Pakistani paceman has been banned from international cricket because of his controversial action.
    The 24-year-old World Cup star, set to join Notts next season, has been suspended by the International Cricket Council and will miss the tri-nations series against Australia and India next month.

Shoaib, generally regarded as the world's fastest bowler, has been told to make what Pakistan's team manager, Brigadier Mohammad Nasir, called "minor" amendments to his action, and the ICC will reconsider his case in a month.

"They've just told me to re-model my action, but I can't say anything more because I'll be in trouble," said Shoaib.

Notts, meanwhile, were contemplating what second XI Mike Newell described as "a tragedy" for Shoaib, who is due to arrive at the club in May to pay in the 2000 season.

Notts' cricket manager Clive Rice is currently in South Africa, and Newell said the club will not decide what to do about the situation until talks have been held with Shoaib and the ICC.

"Obviously we're upset for Shoaib and, equally, we're concerned about where it leaves us," said Newell.

"It's a tragedy for him. There can't be anything worse for a bowler than to be accused of throwing and to suggest that he must re-model his action is a drastic thing to tell him to do.

"Once we've got the full facts in front of us and have spoken to Shoaib and Clive Rice we'll decide where to go from there."

"We can't do anything until next Tuesday. We'll then speak to the ICC before deciding our next move."

Working...
X