Akram calls for suspensions for sledging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Akram calls for suspensions for sledging

Pakistan captain Wasim Akram said on Friday that players guilty of sledging should be suspended.

``If a player is found guilty of sledging, he should be suspended for at least a couple of matches,'' Akram said from Lahore.

Akram was speaking after the Australian Cricket Board (ACB) said earlier this month it was seeking urgent talks with Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) officials to discuss allegations of excessive sledging by Australian players during their recent three-test series which Pakistan lost 3-0.

``I didn't experience anything but my players complained that they were ruthlessly sledged from left, right and centre,'' said Akram. ``The manager (Yawar Saeed) had brought the matter to the notice of match referee (John Reid).''

Akram said he would push for suspensions to cut down on the sledging when Pakistan return to Australia for next month's triangular limited-overs tournament which will also involve India.

``That's the best way I can protect my players from being abused,'' Akram said.

However, Pakistan manager Intikhab Alam said his strategy in the series starting on January 9 would be to ignore the Australians.

``The best way to counter sledging is to draw the attention of the umpire,'' he said. ``The object of sledging is to provoke the opponent. But the demand of maturity and professionalism is don't fall in the trap.''

Why chicken out - The aussies sledge because they know they can get the players out by putting them off - the best thing is to ignore them and give them a double dose of their own medicine.

The next thing is Wasim will be asking the supporters to stop making any noise as it puts his players off.

I think some of our Pakistani players are very silly and it seems as if they are scared to fight back.

Comment

Wasim needs to stop whining. This is not the attitude we are used to seeing from our cricketers. Under Imran we used to give as good as we got. I hope Akram isn't turning us into a bunch of cissies - it's not our way.

Remember Saleem Yousuf and more recently Aamir Sohail? troublemakers at times yes, but in a crisis they were the ones who didn't lose their nerves. Wasim needs to show a more aggressive attitude as captain. Like Steve Waugh who never gives an inch.

Comment

Working...
      X