Cricket-ICC objects to Akhtar's bowling action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cricket-ICC objects to Akhtar's bowling action

The International Cricket Council has raised objections to the bowling action of Pakistan's tearaway fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar, officials said on Wednesday.

They said the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) had received a letter and a 20-minute video on Tuesday from ICC manager of cricket operations Clive Hitchcock on Akhtar's bowling action.

``We received a video and a letter from Clive Hitchcock on Tuesday afternoon,'' PCB secretary Shafqat Rana said from Lahore.

``The ICC has referred Akhtar's case to its nine-man advisory panel on illegal deliveries which will discuss the issue on December 30 in a conference call,'' Rana said.

Pakistan cricket officials last month denied reports in two Australian newspapers that they had received an official complaint on Akhtar's bowling.

Akhtar's bowling action was questioned by John Reid during the three-test series between Australia and Pakistan last month. Reid was the match referee.

Rana said Shoaib Akhtar will not be withdrawn from the 14-man squad for the Australian tri-nation limited overs series beginning January 9.

``The legality of his bowling action has been challenged but the ICC has not told us to withdraw him from the squad.''

According to Hitchcock's letter to the PCB, a copy of which was obtained by Reuters, John Reid's report on Akhtar is supported by controversial umpire Darrell Hair and Peter Willey who were the officials in the Perth test which Pakistan lost by an innings and consequently the series 3-0.

``The report by the match referee has made it clear that not every delivery is affected, but all three officials were concerned about the straightening of Akhtar's arm immediately before a bouncer or an express fast delivery,'' Hitchcock said in the letter.

Akhtar, whose fastest delivery in the series was 95 miles an hour, managed only six wickets at almost 66.

However, Rana disagreed with Reid's observation.

``A panel of test stalwarts watched the video on Tuesday afternoon and everyone was convinced that Shoaib Akhtar has a text book bowling action,'' he said.

Rana said the panel comprised former captains Javed Miandad and Ramiz Raja and team manager Intikhab Alam. Akhtar also watched the footage.

Those sons of gunns .. how dare they !!
    why the hell do they forget how walsh balls .. or how lilly delivered .. or how prabhakar played for so many years .. i swear if they impose nay ban on him for a while im going to the security council .. well naah not really

MR

Comment

Lee into Australian squad; Mark Waugh holds spot
      Click here for more on this story
      Posted: Tuesday December 21, 1999 01:34 PM

Brett Lee: "I've been chosen to bowl fast -- I'm certainly not going out there to work on my outswinger or bowl offcutters." Jack Atley/Allsport

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) -- Brett Lee promised Tuesday to bowl the fastest cricket ball ever witnessed in Australia if granted his Christmas wish of a test debut against India beginning on Sunday.

Lee replaced Colin Miller on Tuesday in Australia's 12-man squad seeking to wrap up the test series against India. As Australia seeks its sixth consecutive test triumph, selectors also retained their faith in a struggling Mak Waugh for the second test at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Rookie Lee is rated as faster than Pakistan's paceman Shoaib Ahktar and many, including Dennis Lillee, believe him to be the fastest bowler in the world.

Lee sent a warning to India's batsmen.

"If I get the chance, I'll be sending them down as fast as I can," Lee said Tuesday. "I've been chosen to bowl fast -- I'm certainly not going out there to work on my outswinger or bowl offcutters."

Mark Waugh was retained despite having scored 18 runs in his past five test innings.

Captain Steve Waugh, Mark's twin brother, enters the test on the verge of another milestone.

Steve Waugh is poised to oversee his sixth test victory in a row, a feat only achieved by one previous Australian captain, Warwick Armstrong in 1920-21.

Armstrong led Australia to eight consecutive wins, three short of the world record held by former West Indian captain Clive Lloyd.

Australia's test squad: Steve Waugh (captain), Shane Warne (vice-captain), Michael Slater, Greg Blewett, Justin Langer, Mark Waugh, Ricky Ponting, Adam Gilchrist, Damien Fleming, Brett Lee, Glenn McGrath, Michael Kasprowicz.

Comment

"Rookie Lee is rated as faster than Pakistan's paceman Shoaib
        Ahktar and many, including Dennis Lillee, believe him to be the
        fastest bowler in the world. "

He's *rated* as faster than shoaib by surprise surprise...the australians themselves, and lilee leading the excited declarations is no big surprise either. Unlike the ozzies, the speedometer isn't prone to lying and accordingly he's well behind shoaib.

Ausralia have a history of stirring up controversies when they feel threatened, intensive sledging, finding fine lines between the rules, playing the game on borderline hard and a merciless media.

It's just yet another attempt to ward off a possible and very real threat.

[This message has been edited by Elmo with headphones (edited December 23, 1999).]

Comment

Working...
        X