X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pakistan Board sacks cricket coach Richard Pybus

Pakistan Board sacks cricket coach Richard Pybus
    AFP - 3 December 1999

KARACHI, Dec 3 (AFP) - Pakistan sacked English-born coach Richard Pybus Friday, barely two days after the beleaguered squad returned
    from their 3-0 Test whitewash against mighty Australia.

Pybus was the fifth Pakistan coach to leave this year.

''Pakistan Cricket Board has released coach Richard Pybus after the conclusion of the first leg of the Australian tour,'' said the board's
    secretary Shafqat Rana.

''A decision on Pybus's replacement will soon be announced,'' he added.

Pybus, 35, was first hired as assistant coach during the World Cup in England this year and was promoted to coach in October.

''I think it has to be performance-oriented and we were not achieving that, so we released him,'' Zafar Altaf, the board's ad-hoc committee
    chairman, told AFP from Faisalabad.

Altaf was reported to be unhappy with Pybus' lucrative contract, thought to be around 5.4 million rupees (100,000 dollars) a year.

''The officials of the board met him in Lahore and settled the issue. I personally liked the guy but since we concentrate on performance the
    decision had to be made,'' Altaf said.

Pybus said Friday he was disappointed at the decision, but had been expecting it since the defeat in Australia.

''It's very sad but I knew it was on the cards.''

''You can't put all the blame of defeat in Australia on the management. I think players were not prepared for that exacting series,'' he said.

Former Test opener Mudassar Nazar is tipped as favourite to take the thorniest job in Pakistani cricket.

The team is now on its sixth coach of the year.

Haroon Rasheed's contract was ended two months early in May.

Then ace batsman Javed Miandad resigned from his post on the eve of the World Cup early this year after developing differences with some
    senior players.

Former captain Mushtaq Mohammad was appointed coach during the 1999 world cup and resigned, then the next coach, former Test star
    Wasim Raja, fell out with his bosses and stepped down.

Pybus left his job at Border, a South African provincial side, and joined Pakistan in October.

''I think people in Pakistan should realise success needs some solid foundation and five to six coaches in a year is not fair on players,'' he said
    just an hour before he was sacked.

The Pakistan Cricket Board was widely criticsed by former players and officials for hiring Pybus in the first place.

''Why waste so much money on an ordinary player when we have great players in Pakistan?'' said former Test player Haseeb Ehsan.

Others were more supportive.

''When they had hired him he should have been tried and given time,'' said former captain Zaheer Abbas.

Pakistan captain Wasim Akram defended Pybus when the team returned home on Wednesday.

''He is working to improve the mental level of the players and needs a little more time,'' he said.
Working...
X